49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 658 users in the forums

Finding the next Victor Cruz: Three Potential UDFA WR Gems

Browse 49ers books and videos
Bump.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,443
Watched Elvis 3 or 4 times this year, hell of a player, especially in that playoff game when he made diving-flip-one handed-behind the back catch of awesomeness. Really wish I was watching it on my dvr cause I would have sat and played it back for 10 minutes if I could have lol. I still cant believe Oregon wouldn't "find" a football scholarship for him. Changed that kids life by not letting him play football for them. I hope he makes it in the NFL.

Cooper caught my eyes a lot over the past couple of seasons, He looks really fluid on the field, like he isn't over thinking his decisions. He's also got some experience with punt returns so you never know what kind of talent is waiting to burst out of him.

Never heard of the guy from Mizzou st but wow o:
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM ]
So how come these guys aren't draftable? Worth a 7th maybe???
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,443
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
So how come these guys aren't draftable? Worth a 7th maybe???

I think it comes down to #'s, the amount of prospects that are exiting the NCAA. Players like these guys fall through the cracks, not getting invited to the senior bowl, Shrine game, combine, etc. Sure they might draw a handfull of scouts to their pro day but that one day is almost never enough to convince a team to use a draft pick on a guy when you can safely go for a guy who has been reported as 6th or 7th round pick for the entire season.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
So how come these guys aren't draftable? Worth a 7th maybe???

I think it comes down to #'s, the amount of prospects that are exiting the NCAA. Players like these guys fall through the cracks, not getting invited to the senior bowl, Shrine game, combine, etc. Sure they might draw a handfull of scouts to their pro day but that one day is almost never enough to convince a team to use a draft pick on a guy when you can safely go for a guy who has been reported as 6th or 7th round pick for the entire season.

true. A lot of teams drafted these type of small school lineman last year though in the 5-7th rounds. We were one of them (Person and Kilgore)... I would've liked to get Chris Neild personally.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,443
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
So how come these guys aren't draftable? Worth a 7th maybe???

I think it comes down to #'s, the amount of prospects that are exiting the NCAA. Players like these guys fall through the cracks, not getting invited to the senior bowl, Shrine game, combine, etc. Sure they might draw a handfull of scouts to their pro day but that one day is almost never enough to convince a team to use a draft pick on a guy when you can safely go for a guy who has been reported as 6th or 7th round pick for the entire season.

true. A lot of teams drafted these type of small school lineman last year though in the 5-7th rounds. We were one of them (Person and Kilgore)... I would've liked to get Chris Neild personally.

Neild would've been a great pick :/ but oh well it all worked out in the end :D

So go to 8:05 on Akpla's video. That block he lays on the play was absolutely beastly!

The interesting thing is that Mike Person played with Akpla and hopefully is doing some lobbying on his behalf. Would love to get Akpla on our team as the #4 WR and also return man. He has such incredible body control, dare I say Barry Sanders-esque juke moves lol..
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
So how come these guys aren't draftable? Worth a 7th maybe???

I think it comes down to #'s, the amount of prospects that are exiting the NCAA. Players like these guys fall through the cracks, not getting invited to the senior bowl, Shrine game, combine, etc. Sure they might draw a handfull of scouts to their pro day but that one day is almost never enough to convince a team to use a draft pick on a guy when you can safely go for a guy who has been reported as 6th or 7th round pick for the entire season.

true. A lot of teams drafted these type of small school lineman last year though in the 5-7th rounds. We were one of them (Person and Kilgore)... I would've liked to get Chris Neild personally.

sfout is exactly right. With not all teams needs being the same as well, this pushes players down when it simply gets to the point where teams are addressing specific needs or looking for role players, etc. later in the draft. I would absolutely LOVE it if we got Akpla. I think on our team specifically he'd have a shot.

I badly wanted Neild in the 6th or 7th last year and was disappointed when we passed up on him. He was a major contributor for Washington, and I think he's pretty clearly a better player than Ian Williams right now.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
So how come these guys aren't draftable? Worth a 7th maybe???

I think it comes down to #'s, the amount of prospects that are exiting the NCAA. Players like these guys fall through the cracks, not getting invited to the senior bowl, Shrine game, combine, etc. Sure they might draw a handfull of scouts to their pro day but that one day is almost never enough to convince a team to use a draft pick on a guy when you can safely go for a guy who has been reported as 6th or 7th round pick for the entire season.

true. A lot of teams drafted these type of small school lineman last year though in the 5-7th rounds. We were one of them (Person and Kilgore)... I would've liked to get Chris Neild personally.

sfout is exactly right. With not all teams needs being the same as well, this pushes players down when it simply gets to the point where teams are addressing specific needs or looking for role players, etc. later in the draft. I would absolutely LOVE it if we got Akpla. I think on our team specifically he'd have a shot.

I badly wanted Neild in the 6th or 7th last year and was disappointed when we passed up on him. He was a major contributor for Washington, and I think he's pretty clearly a better player than Ian Williams right now.

Yeah I like Ian's potential to play NT but I called that all the way bro. Neild was a beast NT in WVU's 3-3-5, takes skills. He would've been a perfect back up for Soap. Oh well. I wanted the LB that NYG took who had cancer too and he ended up starting for them and helping them win a title.

I have confidence in Haarbaalke and all but I was right in those instances.
Here's to hoping Baalke saw the talent in Akpla when he was watching Mike Person last year and knowing our WR woes bring him in or takes a shot on him in the 7th like he did with Person.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,443
To illustrate my point on the lack of notice a player like Akpla gets. He is not on the official combine invite list so we'll have to keep our eyes peeled for local media reports on what pro days we send scouts to.
wrong thread*
[ Edited by GuessWhosOn3rd on Feb 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Perhaps we spend a 7th on him like we did with Mike Person? I would be ecstatic. At the very least we NEED to get this guy into our camp if we can. West Coast player (born in Portland) and someone who should look at our roster and see he has a legitimate shot at making an impact.
Lavon Brazill - 5'10/190 - Ohio:












Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone