There are 226 users in the forums

OTC's "Waiting for the Combine" Mock -- Feb. 11

Coryell Judie looks like he could be quick too, I like that pick. As a 3rd to 4th round pick it seems like a nice gamble, he is not that injured. If he runs a low 4.4 / high 4.3 he could go higher
I feel this is a mock that makes us worse. Mostly for letting of of TG and CR, and getting inferior players to replace them. Niners don't have a history of allowing players to walk after having a great season. Franklin (who was good, but not great) and Spikes, are exceptions. But neither played close to the level of Rogers this year.
Reaction is about what I expected, and for our sake, I hope we do not lose the players that I project we will, because based on this, there will be a lot of angry fans initially at least.

I know this isn't the most glamorous or sexy mock out there, but I try my best to keep in mind that a mock is not a wish list, but rather a projection. I took Baalke's tendency to target specific players, get value, and balance in the draft, and put it out. Definitely understandable why this mock isn't everyone's favorite, but not to fret, chances are that much will change after the combine.

I actually believe there is a STRONG chance we move up in the draft to get someone if they reach a certain point in the 1st round. I think there's also a chance we drop down a few spots as well if we can't get the exact guy we're looking for, although trading up seems more likely, based on Baalke's history. (Trading up for Anthony Davis, Colin Kaepernick, and Daniel Kilgore).
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
OTC what do you think of a move to a 4-3 if Brooks leaves? He was the most important part of our base defense with his ability to do everything so well as an outside linebacker. He's going to get overpaid if he hits free agency. If we lose him we lose a big part of our base 3-4. Switching to a 4-3 makes Grant a starter which he has proven capable of.

-----Bowman-Willis-Grant
Aldon-Smith-Soap-McDonald

I feel switching to a 4-3 in this situation allows the 49ers to maintain their strength in the front seven. A strong front seven makes any cornerback expendable since we can cover up lesser corners.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I actually believe there is a STRONG chance we move up in the draft to get someone if they reach a certain point in the 1st round. I think there's also a chance we drop down a few spots as well if we can't get the exact guy we're looking for, although trading up seems more likely, based on Baalke's history. (Trading up for Anthony Davis, Colin Kaepernick, and Daniel Kilgore).
At least Free Agency will be before the draft this year. After the Combine and FA we will know more about what we really need. If Ginn, Brooks or anyone else leave via FA, than we will know what needs to be targeted. There are many different strategies in the draft. I was a fan of Walsh trading back and acquiring picks and I kind like Baalke being aggressive and trading up for specific players if he does continue that trend.

Other people have mentioned if we lose Ginn that we need to draft another returner who will contribute more as a wr. If we lose Ginn, I wouldn't mind getting another DB who could serve as the punt returner. Ginn seemed to get banged up and I felt like it was on his offensive plays. I could be wrong. It's an option though.

I see us tradig up and being aggressive for some more offensive weapons though. Alex and comp. played well but eventually the team will get passed to a younger group that Harbs and Trent are drafting each year. The best players will play but if these guys will all be maturing at the same time, Might as well get a wr or another TE or bruiser RB to start to develop now with Kaep and Hunter and the Oline they have been drafting.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
OTC what do you think of a move to a 4-3 if Brooks leaves? He was the most important part of our base defense with his ability to do everything so well as an outside linebacker. He's going to get overpaid if he hits free agency. If we lose him we lose a big part of our base 3-4. Switching to a 4-3 makes Grant a starter which he has proven capable of.

-----Bowman-Willis-Grant

I feel switching to a 4-3 in this situation allows the 49ers to maintain their strength in the front seven. A strong front seven makes any cornerback expendable since we can cover up lesser corners.

Justin's not an every down DT though.

-----Bowman-Willis-Grant

I don't think we'd do that. Much of what we do relies on being able to confuse through the 3-4 scheme. Worst case scenario, they'd get depth and have Aldon and Haralson starting on each side.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

-----Bowman-Willis-Grant

I don't think we'd do that. Much of what we do relies on being able to confuse through the 3-4 scheme. Worst case scenario, they'd get depth and have Aldon and Haralson starting on each side.

+1. We would just start Aldon and Haralson at OLB and look for a back up somewhere.
  • darum
  • Veteran
Ive never seen Reyes mocked that high. A lot can change from now till the draft, but maybe reaching a bit on our first round pick on a depth guy seems weird when we have some holes to fill.
OTC--I didn't think the 9ers would pick Aldon but they did and it worked out well, so if they pick a young replacement for Justin or Ray that would be fine if they thought his value was superior to the WRs and CBs available. Especially if they could still pick up the WR and DB they need later on. The 9ers got through the year with no injuries on the DL (minor) but can't be sure to do so next year.

It is logical that people would prefer filling immediate needs but good drafters seldom get locked into a choice based on position need. They often draft to strengths rather than fill a void with a reach.

Funny that people take such umbrage with your supposition that Rogers will sign elsewhere. It is a reasonable possiblity and it's not like you are saying they should cut him...FAs go where they may.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
+1. We would just start Aldon and Haralson at OLB and look for a back up somewhere.

this, but I want that backup to be a passrusher that would have Aldon's role last season. I dont trust Haralson as a pass rusher
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

this, but I want that backup to be a passrusher that would have Aldon's role last season. I dont trust Haralson as a pass rusher

agree.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
OTC--I didn't think the 9ers would pick Aldon but they did and it worked out well, so if they pick a young replacement for Justin or Ray that would be fine if they thought his value was superior to the WRs and CBs available. Especially if they could still pick up the WR and DB they need later on. The 9ers got through the year with no injuries on the DL (minor) but can't be sure to do so next year.

It is logical that people would prefer filling immediate needs but good drafters seldom get locked into a choice based on position need. They often draft to strengths rather than fill a void with a reach.

Funny that people take such umbrage with your supposition that Rogers will sign elsewhere. It is a reasonable possiblity and it's not like you are saying they should cut him...FAs go where they may.

I think after the combine, I will wait a while before posting anything new, and without any FA speculation. Later in March and in April I can let our GM make the moves he will.
Share 49ersWebzone