There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's "Waiting for the Combine" Mock -- Feb. 11

Too many corners via Free Agency!

Anyway ... I like the idea of building the defense from the ground up in the draft. I think a team can get away with average corners if the pass rush is tremendous. Another year under Fangio should make this squad all the more dangerous.

Same goes with the offense. Not a huge offense FA splash, but, a second year offense should be more productive.
OTC - Do you think that Streeter and Wylie will be instant impact players. We really only have one year to go off of but Baalke first draft definitely targeted our biggest weakness which was pass-rush with Aldon Smith. The other players drafted also were drafted to make an impact right away. Sooner or later we won't draft starters right away if we are all around solid. Baalke's only miss was probably Braylon Edwards. If he saw that we needed depth last year at wr then I would assume he will still feel that way. Do you have other players on offense that you were considering in FA or the draft. Only asking because I have not studied the prospects that much and have liked some other stuff you've said in different threads.
bye bye playoffs. Not a big fan of this 1 bro. I don't like losing Snyder, Ginn, and Rogers. Snyder is a lot better than anybody we have at RG. I don't believe in Kilgore, no offense I know you love him but he's real unproven and I was hoping we'd wait until Goodwin's gone and he can potentially step in at C. Not having Ginn may have cost us the superbowl, he helped us immensely this year. Having a return man like him is real important. We let him go we'll see the next guy become Kyle Williams in a clutch situation IMO. Big mistake. As for Rogers, the guy was like our Charles Woodson. He made a lot of good plays for us all year long, and did a good job in coverage except for the last game vs Cruz where he got roasted in the first half. He doesn't have that many miles on him, only played 7 seasons in the NFL so far I think. I think he can keep it up until 34 or 35.

Not only do you lose 3 of our most important players, you try to replace them with a scrub WR(Robinson is alright but he may be a 1 hit wonder and I'm not a big fan of him), a CB who prior to this year was not any good if I remember correctly, and a guy with a busted leg. I like Reyes but I don't think he helps us that much, he's not going to play a whole lot over Justin or RayMac. Ronnell Lewis is a good player but again we are just letting Brooks leave??? Why? Streeter I like and Judy is alright, the rest of the guys are meh and I don't see helping us.

It also seems like you left a lot of cap room on the table. I'm not a big fan of that. The only guys we get back are Alex, Goldson, and Josh basically. We let 2 starters on defense go, we let a starting lineman go, and we let our PR/KR go. I'd rather see us keep most of the gang in tact, and if AZ or Seatown get Peyton and he's healthy I'm not even sure we'd make the playoffs with this offseason. We need to improve the team, not take several steps back. I don't see how that team can beat GB, NO, or NYG in the playoffs.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Great "speculative" mock. Personal feelings on some picks aside I cant argue that this wouldn't get the job done. A couple of things I've been thinking about lately.....

- I dont think Snyder gets overpaid by another team, he is very old and would have to go to a similar styled offense to succeed. However, I do agree that losing him is a very realistic outcome because of the contract extension we gave Alex Boone as our backup swing tackle. That position is undeniably important but I am worried Snyder's agent will demand some sort of ridiculously high deal because the money that Boone is making now(5 years 8M overall with escalators). Snyder is probably worth a couple million on 3 year deal but I'm not sold on committing to him for that long. At that point we might be better off pursing an RG in FA and/or drafting one in the 2 - 4 round range.

- I've come to terms with the fact that Ginn will not be a 9er next season, guy is a stud on returns and I've continually stuck up for him in terms of receiving but I think it just that time to let him go and find an upgrade who can contribute on offense more.

- Something I posted in the "free agent CB" thread is that Terrell Thomas and his agent are currently engaged in contract discussions with the Giants it sounds like he will be retained while Aaron Ross will walk. Reuniting Ross with Tarell Brown seems like a tremendously idea in terms of chemistry and could probably be had for a very modest deal. Also love the fact that we both think Jason Allen is a possible target for us(posted about it in the same thread), I honestly wanted us to sign him back when the Dolphins cut him. Another dirt cheap price tag but such a high chance of reward if we sign him.

All in all good stuff.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Great "speculative" mock. Personal feelings on some picks aside I cant argue that this wouldn't get the job done. A couple of things I've been thinking about lately.....

- I dont think Snyder gets overpaid by another team, he is very old and would have to go to a similar styled offense to succeed. However, I do agree that losing him is a very realistic outcome because of the contract extension we gave Alex Boone as our backup swing tackle. That position is undeniably important but I am worried Snyder's agent will demand some sort of ridiculously high deal because the money that Boone is making now(5 years 8M overall with escalators). Snyder is probably worth a couple million on 3 year deal but I'm not sold on committing to him for that long. At that point we might be better off pursing an RG in FA and/or drafting one in the 2 - 4 round range.

- I've come to terms with the fact that Ginn will not be a 9er next season, guy is a stud on returns and I've continually stuck up for him in terms of receiving but I think it just that time to let him go and find an upgrade who can contribute on offense more.

- Something I posted in the "free agent CB" thread is that Terrell Thomas and his agent are currently engaged in contract discussions with the Giants it sounds like he will be retained while Aaron Ross will walk. Reuniting Ross with Tarell Brown seems like a tremendously idea in terms of chemistry and could probably be had for a very modest deal. Also love the fact that we both think Jason Allen is a possible target for us(posted about it in the same thread), I honestly wanted us to sign him back when the Dolphins cut him. Another dirt cheap price tag but such a high chance of reward if we sign him.

All in all good stuff.

Snyder is only 29 though. I honestly can't believe that you guys would let him walk. It would be the first time in years we've had the same 5 returning OLineman in the same positions and he's real important. Without him we are relying on a late round 2nd year player who hasn't proven anything. That could get our QB killed or stall the running game if it doesn't turn out well. I feel like if we keep the same 5 lineman, they will finally get chemistry, improve their performance, and actually learn how to pick up a blitz. Tired of shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. Aren't you guys?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Tom Streeter. Any relations to Ty Streets?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

All in all good stuff.

Snyder is only 29 though. I honestly can't believe that you guys would let him walk. It would be the first time in years we've had the same 5 returning OLineman in the same positions and he's real important. Without him we are relying on a late round 2nd year player who hasn't proven anything. That could get our QB killed or stall the running game if it doesn't turn out well. I feel like if we keep the same 5 lineman, they will finally get chemistry, improve their performance, and actually learn how to pick up a blitz. Tired of shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. Aren't you guys?

I'd rather keep him and I want him back but I am just worried that our center and right guard spots will vaporize themselves in the next year or two. I know we can always cut the guy in 2 or 3 years if/when he starts to blow it but I am hoping we draft an incredible prospect at RG to develop behind Snyder for next year or 2.

All in all good stuff.

I'd rather keep him and I want him back but I am just worried that our center and right guard spots will vaporize themselves in the next year or two. I know we can always cut the guy in 2 or 3 years if/when he starts to blow it but I am hoping we draft an incredible prospect at RG to develop behind Snyder for next year or 2.

@Willis -- It's not that I'm personally letting him go. It's just I'm projecting someone to see our 29 year old RG and offer him a major deal that he shouldn't get, thinking he will help them, and snatch him away from us like David Baas. Snyder already turned down the deal/extension we offered him earlier this year, unlike Boone. Same for Brooks. I want Brooks back, but they're both going to be trying to get more money. We can't be sure, but by looks of it, it seems like a serious possibility that both Snyder and Brooks leave if we can't/don't offer the money they want.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

All in all good stuff.

@Willis -- It's not that I'm personally letting him go. It's just I'm projecting someone to see our 29 year old RG and offer him a major deal that he shouldn't get, thinking he will help them, and snatch him away from us like David Baas. Snyder already turned down the deal/extension we offered him earlier this year, unlike Boone. Same for Brooks. I want Brooks back, but they're both going to be trying to get more money. We can't be sure, but by looks of it, it seems like a serious possibility that both Snyder and Brooks leave if we can't/don't offer the money they want.

for real? That sucks dude. We are going to get raded now that we are good. . I guess we better line up some potential replacements then. Who do you think can replace Brooks for cheaper? Besides Lewis the rookie. You think Jarret Johnson from the Ravens might be a decent, cheap add who has played OLB in the 3-4? Maybe take an OG in the draft. I wish we could get DeCastro in the draft.

All in all good stuff.

for real? That sucks dude. We are going to get raded now that we are good. . I guess we better line up some potential replacements then. Who do you think can replace Brooks for cheaper? Besides Lewis the rookie. You think Jarret Johnson from the Ravens might be a decent, cheap add who has played OLB in the 3-4? Maybe take an OG in the draft. I wish we could get DeCastro in the draft.

Johnson might be cheaper, but marginally. He's considered one of the better 3-4 OLBs that'd be on the market. Actually arguable that he's the top one above Brooks. But he doesn't rush the passer as well as Ahmad.

All in all good stuff.

Johnson might be cheaper, but marginally. He's considered one of the better 3-4 OLBs that'd be on the market. Actually arguable that he's the top one above Brooks. But he doesn't rush the passer as well as Ahmad.

Yeah I know. On second thought I might trust Lewis to just play there and come in for Haralson on 2nd+3rd downs, make Aldon a full time starter on the other side. You think we could land Ben Grubbs in FA to replace Snyder? He might even be a pretty big upgrade. I dunno. I know you love Kilgore and he can be good but I'm real leery of letting a 2nd year late round guy jump in and start on the line this soon. Then again being a high pick doesn't mean you don't suck, just look at Chilo
i like your draft. i really like streeter and hope we can grab him. having him and a robinson/manningham type WR would be a huge upgrade. the only thing i dont like is not getting a guard. i dont know much about kilgore as he didnt play last year, but i would like to see a vetern come and challenge for the job as well.
Lewis is too small to play DE on 3rd down in the 4-3
Not a fan of your first two picks, but I like the next couple... the rest, I concede that I know very little of.

I may come around, but I would be unhappy if we draft a DL in rds 1-4. I feel we have enough years in our starters, plus, I think RJF, Dobbs, and Tukuafu have impressed enough and would continue to impress in another full offseason.

I respect your posts and your draft knowledge, OTC... but this is far from a favorite mock for me.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Lewis is too small to play DE on 3rd down in the 4-3

Demarcus Dobbs could/would play DE/situational rusher more then likely.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM ]