So I am assuming Ahmad Brooks walks as well if you are drafting a replacement in the 2nd round?
After going 13-3, I see the 49ers retaining 2 out of the 3 key defensive free agents - with one way via the franchise tag. And I think you are correct about Carlos demanding too much money.
I like the free agency targets, but I don't understand why you have a heavily defensive focused draft when we need play makers on the offensive side of the ball. Especially if we let Snyder walk for Kilgore and a late round draft pick?
I understand the BPA logic in the draft, but I feel like free agency would be used to fill the holes left from the draft. Or vice versa.
In terms of the draft itself, I really like the first two picks. Great, hard nosed, blue collar players that fit the Harbaugh team mentality.
Your picks from 3-5, I'm not sure if any of those guys are going to be there when the 49ers pick in the respective rounds. I guess time will tell once teams evaluate these players at individual workouts and the combine...as you stated in your title haha.
There are 775 users in the forums
OTC's "Waiting for the Combine" Mock -- Feb. 11
Feb 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM
- GEEK
- Veteran
- Posts: 19,431
Feb 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,588
Originally posted by GEEK:So I am assuming Ahmad Brooks walks as well if you are drafting a replacement in the 2nd round?
After going 13-3, I see the 49ers retaining 2 out of the 3 key defensive free agents - with one way via the franchise tag. And I think you are correct about Carlos demanding too much money.
I like the free agency targets, but I don't understand why you have a heavily defensive focused draft when we need play makers on the offensive side of the ball. Especially if we let Snyder walk for Kilgore and a late round draft pick?
I understand the BPA logic in the draft, but I feel like free agency would be used to fill the holes left from the draft. Or vice versa.
In terms of the draft itself, I really like the first two picks. Great, hard nosed, blue collar players that fit the Harbaugh team mentality.
Your picks from 3-5, I'm not sure if any of those guys are going to be there when the 49ers pick in the respective rounds. I guess time will tell once teams evaluate these players at individual workouts and the combine...as you stated in your title haha.
This is probably my one highly speculative "if/then" mock of the year, and probably my last until The beginning of March before free agency. Which will be the last before the final "big board" style mocks.
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM
- mebemused
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,027
OTC, how does your draft change if we retain either Carlos Rogers or Ahmad Brooks?
If we keep Brooks, do you still draft Lewis in the second?
If we keep Brooks, do you still draft Lewis in the second?
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM
- Ninefan56
- Member
- Posts: 5,106
Questions about Alex Smith, Brooks?
No running back?
Otherwise it looks like a good draft for us. Good FA. I just want to be sure we get the RBs covered. If Gore is going down hill I want coverage for him and Dixon.
No running back?
Otherwise it looks like a good draft for us. Good FA. I just want to be sure we get the RBs covered. If Gore is going down hill I want coverage for him and Dixon.
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,588
Originally posted by mebemused:OTC, how does your draft change if we retain either Carlos Rogers or Ahmad Brooks?
If we keep Brooks, do you still draft Lewis in the second?
Yes. In the write-up on Brooks, it says "Whether Brooks comes back or not" if he's available to us, I think we'd pull the trigger.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:Questions about Alex Smith, Brooks?
No running back?
Otherwise it looks like a good draft for us. Good FA. I just want to be sure we get the RBs covered. If Gore is going down hill I want coverage for him and Dixon.
Totally forgot to add Alex under "retained" because I figure it's already so assumed, that we don't have to worry about it. As far as RB, I think we wait for the awesome RB class next year or pickup a talent UDFA that should've never fallen or something like that. (Like Arian Foster)
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM
- mebemused
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,027
So even if Brooks stays, you draft Lewis in the second.
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,588
Originally posted by mebemused:So even if Brooks stays, you draft Lewis in the second.
Steelers had Woodley and Harrison and drafted Jason Worilds. A little while back they drafted DE Ziggy Hood as well in the 1st round. The top defenses always make sure to acquire great pass-rushing talent. That's what makes them consistently great. I think we all would feel much more comfortable if we had a great prospect behind Brooks.
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM
- fan49
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,293
need a wr earlier than that
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
- kronik
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,316
I like it. Alot of speed and some bruisers and hard hitting big guys
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM
- dtg_9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,204
Have to admit seeing two D players at 1st and 2nd rounds made me a bit queesy, but Baalke looks for value and it's not always best to go after obvous needs at the expense of talent. As this year is deep at WR and CB it makes more sense...after calming down and actually reading the analysis. Thanks for the great descriptions.
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,588
Originally posted by fan49:need a wr earlier than that
No BPA WRs expected to be available at our 1st and 2nd round picks.
In my complete first round board right now, I have Sanu and Jeffery both going before our pick. Sanu to Chicago at #19, and Jeffery to New England at #27. I expect guys like Stephen Hill, Randle and Criner to go not long after. Patience.
Originally posted by kronik:I like it. Alot of speed and some bruisers and hard hitting big guys
Exactly. Like Harbaugh said, we want to build a bully.
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM
- GhostofFredDean74
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 30,082
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Have to admit seeing two D players at 1st and 2nd rounds made me a bit queesy, but Baalke looks for value and it's not always best to go after obvous needs at the expense of talent. As this year is deep at WR and CB it makes more sense...after calming down and actually reading the analysis. Thanks for the great descriptions.
I would agree with this, practically word for word.
Feb 11, 2012 at 9:04 PM
- jimmy49erfan
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,895
Thats a dream draft dude. I like how you went after keeping our defense dangerous with the 1st 2 picks. I think you hit best player and need for each round. I would have went after another CB instead of a another late rd guard tho.
Feb 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM
- Dblj55
- Veteran
- Posts: 247
Great analysis of the players. I'm a big fan of Reyes, so I really like this mock.