There are 281 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Go for it 1981 style

Any chance you reckon JH and Baalke will do a 1981 on us and instead of DB's just go for receivers and tight ends early on? We could let Ginn and Morgan go, trade Walker and Crabtree for some more or higher picks in the draft and completely revamp our offence, we could get a 1st and 2nd round receiver and a 1st or 2nd TE. I know Crabtree had a better year but he's not JH's guy and he may feel we could do better in the draft.

Also resign as many of the other guys as possible Smith, Rodgers, Brooks and Grant etc. With cap room left just pick up a DE and OL for depth on 1 year contracts.

Anyone else think this might be possible, don't hate if not just a suggestion.
I like the creativity and the reference to 1981, but don't see us getting rid of so many WRs. Also, Crabtree is on my shyt list, but he has no real trade value and if he can ACTUALLY try to develop a rapport w/ Alex, he can be worth it. Sorry I have to say this, but I am a Vet so it's kinda required:

SUCH A NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by smithc28:
Any chance you reckon JH and Baalke will do a 1981 on us and instead of DB's just go for receivers and tight ends early on? We could let Ginn and Morgan go, trade Walker and Crabtree for some more or higher picks in the draft and completely revamp our offence, we could get a 1st and 2nd round receiver and a 1st or 2nd TE. I know Crabtree had a better year but he's not JH's guy and he may feel we could do better in the draft.

Also resign as many of the other guys as possible Smith, Rodgers, Brooks and Grant etc. With cap room left just pick up a DE and OL for depth on 1 year contracts.

i think it is possible, may even be a great approach, but not one i would expect baalke to take
We need Ginn. Not as a receiver. As a returner.

Other than that, I hope to see maybe three receivers selected in the draft. Not so convinced about tight ends.
Interesting.

Don't think they trade Walker though.
we better not trade Walker. Crabtree wise he wont net us higher than a 3rd or 4th, he hasnt shown anything special to get us a 1st or 2nd.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by smithc28:

i think it is possible, may even be a great approach, but not one i would expect baalke to take

misread the post, or more accurately read it too qyuickly...trading walker and crabtree bad idea...you dont want to go into a season where the niners qb, presumably alex smith, would have no chemistry with any of the receivers
i like the idea but not walker, and not te's were good at te. we dont need another i know the fleener talk
We definitely need an infusion of WR help and could possibly use a fourth TE, but I don't understand burning the whole thing down. Morgan was just starting to breakout before his injury. No reason to let him walk. Crabtree frustrates me, but his trajectory seemed to be upward before the last playoff game. Walker Had moments of brilliance and provides a match-up problem. His trade value would probably be low just because there are so many talented TEs out there.

Lastly, Harbaugh values blocking from his WRs. Rookie WRs tend to struggle with that area of the game while Crabtree and Morgan are probably the best tandem of blockers in the league. Let's look to sustain success by improving rather than rolling the dice.
1st Sanu, 2nd Fleener. ????
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
1st Sanu, 2nd Fleener. ????
Fleener will not be available with our second round pick; not unless we trade up to high second for him, but that would be a bad idea.
We could still go wr's or TE early in the draft and keep all the guys on the roster. Morgan will be cheap and Crabtree although he frustrates most of you guys, had a pretty good year. His stats have gotten better every year and he was almost 1/3 of the total offense in passing yards and is a good blocker. It wouldn't make sense to get rid of him. Most people in the zone, ripped Crabtree during the offseason when him and Alex didn't seem to get along. You thought he would be gone then. Just like Alex, Harbaugh has praised him and so do his team-mates. Just get used to Crabtree being a 49er.

I agree with some others that we need to keep any weapons and continuity we might have and then build more weapons through the draft and some FA. I am all for trading up or back if it means getting the guy they want. We have to add weapons somewhere...

I'm ok if people don't want to hop on the TE bandwagon but there's no reason to think that it wouldn't work. The patriots already had a good offense. They set records in 2008? Then they draft 2 TE's in the 2nd round and everyone says their crazy. It looks pretty good now. They threw for 5000 yards, we threw for 3000. We might not go that route but it does make sense.
I think they will concentrate on the offense, but Baalke still is a BPA guy. It really depends on who is there and who we pick up in free agency, but we really need an injection on offense. I have a feeling we could draft these positions in the first four rounds, just don't know where.

WR
TE
RB
OG

You might throw in a safety or corner in there especially if we lose Rogers or Goldson.

But the offense is the priority in the offseason.