LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Janoris Jenkins Bandwagon

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
forget character concerns, we have the coach and the lockeroom for players with histories to succeed.

I am a strong proponent of us trading out of the 1st round and getting a guard in the 2nd, but if Jenkins is still there, say around the 20th pick, I'd be thrilled if we nabbed him via trade.

Who on the team last year had "history"?

Im blanking. They cut braylon edwards

brooks before Sing took a chance on him, that's about it as far as I can remember. But with Staley, Willis, Justin, Whitner, Alex, etc. all being high character guys I think we have the lockerroom to handle it.
Jenkins is gonna be real good and I agree if he's there at 20 something move up to get him. He is a true #1 corner.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
brooks before Sing took a chance on him, that's about it as far as I can remember. But with Staley, Willis, Justin, Whitner, Alex, etc. all being high character guys I think we have the lockerroom to handle it.

Yep... Brooks.

Tarell Brown had off the field problems which caused him to fall to the 5th round.
The arrest affidavit, noting that Brown was asleep in the backseat, said that Brown had a loaded 9 mm handgun in his lap. Also had like 3 occasions where him and buddies were pulled over and they were smoking pot in the car.

Haven't had a single problem since we drafted him.

Josh Morgan..... from nfldraftscout
Gives marginal effort as a blocker, showing no desire to extend his arms to lock on and sustain the blocker … Will simply coast to his block point and takes poor angles when asked to cut block second-level defenders … Causes distractions in the huddle when he feels he is not getting the ball thrown to him enough … Needs to improve his maturity both on and off the field … Not the most punctual sort you will find and needs to be monitored more than the rest of the team …

Haven't had any problems with him and he turned out to be our best blocker at WR.

None of these guys had the problems Jenkins has though. McCloughan was pretty big on character issues though so not a whole lot of guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
forget character concerns, we have the coach and the lockeroom for players with histories to succeed.

I am a strong proponent of us trading out of the 1st round and getting a guard in the 2nd, but if Jenkins is still there, say around the 20th pick, I'd be thrilled if we nabbed him via trade.

Who on the team last year had "history"?

Im blanking. They cut braylon edwards

what I'm saying is our lockeroom/coaching staff is conducive for players like Jenkins to shed those problems and become professionals. I wasn't saying we already have players of this sort, although come to think of it they're quite a few examples..t brown, alex boone, brooks, anthony davis, crabtree to some degree (though its mostly media bs), and especially Bowman..he slipped two rounds almost exclusively due to off field stuff.

from what I'm hearing, Jenkins sounds like quite the bad ass haha..seriously though I doubt character concerns will become too overbearing when smart GM's make the call..the guy smoked weed, big f'n deal. at least he got his s**t done, like shutting down collegiate football's best wrs. I'd be more concerned if he was busted for steroids or like raped someone
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Apr 8, 2012 at 6:40 AM ]
It would not surprise me if we drafted him. After all the guys we just signed in FA now nothing will surprise me.
Most draft boards have him gone before 30, either to the Cowboys, or Bangels, or someone like that. I personally would take him, but sometimes you can't coach character issues out of players, Pacman Jones, Randy Moss and TO in their primes, Aqib Talib, the list goes on. That being said, if he falls to 30, he could be a real steal.
Randy Moss(post vikings) and TO werent character concerns, more locker room concerns. Coaches didnt have to worry about getting a call saying they were in jail or might get suspended by the league for substance abuse.

Pacman is what I envision as a character concern.... his actions outside the NFL directly impacted his NFL career because they were punishable by suspensions, brought a bad light on the franchise, and most importantly in terms of football jeapordized whether he was starting or not.

Jenkins children or weed abuse doesnt bother me about him, its more that when he was given a year to show he changed from getting kicked off of Florida, he ended up getting in a fight during the game and got suspended again this time from his new school. He was the best player on Florida and getting kicked off that team didnt change his attitude at N. Alabama, there is no guarentee he is gonna change once he gets huge paychecks. GM's are faced with picking between a supremely talented CB who could face suspensions on an annual basis or a different position with slightly less value but no history of f*ck ups.

The first team to pick him will likely be the team who all other first round graded players have been taken already.
Recent Article on Scout.com regarding the rumors surrounding Jenkins continued use of marijuana at North Alabama. I still believe he is worth the risk. Too much talent and upside to pass up on.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/1178511.html
The Rams, with all of these extra picks, may be wise to look hard at Jenkins at number 33. Could end up with the number one WR in the draft and the number two corner. Imagine a Blackmon, Jenkins, Worthy/Thompson combo. They could get pretty good pretty fast.
All aboard!!

I'd be happy with Jenkins at #30. I think we have built the structure and environment within the organization to nurture a few guys who have some character concerns. Top corner are tough to come by, and based on ability he is at the very least one of the top 15 players in this draft. So to get him at the 30th pick would be great value to me.
Share 49ersWebzone