There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Janoris Jenkins Bandwagon

Janoris Jenkins

Weight : 180 Height : 5' 10"

2010 School : N Alabama
2009 School : University of Florida

Production : 2008: (14/12) 39 tackles (1 sack), 11 PBU, 3 INT, 1 FF. 2009: (13/13) 38 tackles, (3 TFL), 6 PBU, 2 INT. 2010: (13/13) 44 tackles (6 TFL), 1 sack, 8 PBU, 3 INT; 18 PR, 150 yards (8.3)

Personal Comments : Let me start off by saying that I really like what we have accomplished with our secondary recently. Ed Donatell and the rest of the defensive staff have done a fantastic job of coaching guys like Terrell Brown up. Trent Baalke and our scouts did a great job of recognizing Chris Culliver as a good 3rd round selection. And of course it goes without saying that Carlos Rogers was a smart pick up ( see: 2011 pro bowl selection). Donte Whitner and Deshon Goldson combine to make a good safety tandem. In summary we considerably upgraded our secondary in the 2011 season.

With that being said I believe it is necessary to continue to upgrade our secondary through the 2012 NFL draft. Why? I have several reasons

1. There is no guarantee the Niners with be successful in keeping it's secondary in tact. Both Goldson and Rogers are unrestricted free agents.
2. While the starting unit is solid we lack depth. Beyond our starting 3 DB's (Nickel packages) there is a considerable drop off. In a pass happy league you cannot afford to bank on your starting unit to remain healthy throughout the course of an NFL season.

There are a healthy amount of intriguing DB prospects in this years draft. While it can be argued that Moris Claiborne is this years uncontested top DB prospect I believe that Jenoris Jenkins is not too far behind. In fact if I were to create a draft board Janoris Jenkins would be the second DB on that board.

Pros:
Extremely fluid athlete. Hands down best cover corner in this draft. Possesses an uncanny ability to stick with his guy which is a testament to how good his footwork is. Janoris Jenkins while at the University of Florida had the opportunity to match up against both A.J. Green and Julio Jones (1st round selections and future All-Pros) and was successful in covering both. Has a natural back pedal and can close in on the ball very quickly. Although he isn't a physical specimen like a Patrick Peterson, Jenkins plays with a lot of heart and physicality. Very durable athlete, he has had very little if any health problems throughout his collegiate career.

Cons:
Janoris Jenkins has some character concerns (see: marijuana use). In April of 2010; Jenkins was kicked off the Florida football team after being arrested twice in a three-month span on drug related charges. In 2009, he was involved in a fight and was arrested and charged with misdemeanor affray and resisting arrest without violence.

By the time the combine is over Janoris Jenkins will move up on a lot of teams draft boards. In fact he was so impressive during Senior Bowl week that I wouldn't be surprised if that was already the case. The point is that we would be lucky if Janoris Jenkins fell into our lap. Besides the fact that he will make an excellent cover DB he also he a pretty good KR/PR. While his character is a concern so was Terrell Browns and he has panned out quite nicely. I really like Janoris Jenkins and what he brings to the table. In a league that is falling more and more in love with the passing game a guy like Jenkins who can stick to his man like clue is solid gold.
posted a thread on him last year thinking he was going to declare and saw he decided to stay one more year. The guy is a baller if he can keep his head on his shoulders.
I like the guy. All the talent in the world with lots of off the field issues. I hope he gets his head on straight and was humbled by the release from Florida.
Let me get a 1st class seat on this bandwagon
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Id be down if he was BPA or we didn't re-sign Rogers. Especially if we could get him to add about 5-7 pounds and get him as close to 190 as possible.
Originally posted by sfout:
Id be down if he was BPA or we didn't re-sign Rogers. Especially if we could get him to add about 5-7 pounds and get him as close to 190 as possible.

wish he was a little taller... 5'10 ughhhh
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Preaching to the choir. He's a too undersized in both weight and heigh for my liking. I've got my heart set on a 5'11 190-195 type player.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I'm definitely on the bandwagon.

Anyone think he drops to mid 2nd round cause of his off the field issues? Wouldn't mind trading up from number 30 in the 2nd round for him
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Anyone think he drops to mid 2nd round cause of his off the field issues? Wouldn't mind trading up from number 30 in the 2nd round for him

Id do that if it got us another 3rd rounder.

Jenkins, Brandon Jenkins at 60, Stephen Hill with the extra 3rd, and Senio Kelemente at 90. oh man that would be amazing. Just an idea though.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

I don't think he'll make it out of the first. Especially with the patriots 2 first rounders, weak secondary, and their penchant for drafting florida gators
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smacII:
I don't think he'll make it out of the first. Especially with the patriots 2 first rounders, weak secondary, and their penchant for drafting florida gators

true that. Pats will either draft a WR/DB tandem or double on DBs with those picks.

Preaching to the choir. He's a too undersized in both weight and heigh for my liking. I've got my heart set on a 5'11 190-195 type player.

enkins shut down aj green and julion jones twice
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smacII:

ya good point
This guy is such a douche. I doubt we'll draft an idiot like that.
posted a thread on him last year thinking he was going to declare and saw he decided to stay one more year. The guy is a baller if he can keep his head on his shoulders.

where else would his head be?