Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 417 users in the forums

So I am doing a 4 round forum mock on a different site:

Browse 49ers books and videos
i really don't know much about Branch. I need to read up more about him and check out some video. But can he come in and start from day one? B/c they still aren't sure is Aldon will be able to play OLB. They might have to sign a veteran if Brooks walks. I hope Boykins is there in the 2nd round.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
Love the Boykins pick. I definitely see him being a steal in this draft to whomever picks him up. Yes he's short, but the dude can flat out ball.

I understand the Branch pick, I haven't seen him play much so can't judge if I want us to pick him or not. If we do get a WR FA, then I'll be okay with this since Brooks is gone. If we resign brooks, we should definitely consider reaching on a WR or even Fleener, who I think could open up this offense to a disgustingly high level.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Love the Boykins pick. I definitely see him being a steal in this draft to whomever picks him up. Yes he's short, but the dude can flat out ball.

I understand the Branch pick, I haven't seen him play much so can't judge if I want us to pick him or not. If we do get a WR FA, then I'll be okay with this since Brooks is gone. If we resign brooks, we should definitely consider reaching on a WR or even Fleener, who I think could open up this offense to a disgustingly high level.

Exactly, This was my thinking. I had to do this thing under the consideration that Brooks and Rogers bolt for greener pastures. Even if Rogers stays, the NFL is turning into a passing league and most of the teams throw out 3 or 4 WR's more than half the time. Rogers/Brown/Culliver/Boykin/Brock would be arguably the best set of CB's in the league.

I think we get a WR in free agency regardless and I don't want a 1st round WR anyways.

If Brooks and Rogers stay I think I would be happy with:

1- TE- Coby Fleener
2- WR- Joe Adams or CB- Brandon Boykin

Even if Brooks stays, Branch would be a nice pick. Haralson is steady but he can be upgraded on quite easilty. A rotation of Ahmad Brooks/Aldon Smith/Andre Branch would be deadly. Much like Pittsburg's with Woodley/Harrison/Worilds

You can never have enough top pass rushers and corners in this league these days.

These things are hard to do not knowing who we sign/re-sign.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Love the Boykins pick. I definitely see him being a steal in this draft to whomever picks him up. Yes he's short, but the dude can flat out ball.

I understand the Branch pick, I haven't seen him play much so can't judge if I want us to pick him or not. If we do get a WR FA, then I'll be okay with this since Brooks is gone. If we resign brooks, we should definitely consider reaching on a WR or even Fleener, who I think could open up this offense to a disgustingly high level.

Exactly, This was my thinking. I had to do this thing under the consideration that Brooks and Rogers bolt for greener pastures. Even if Rogers stays, the NFL is turning into a passing league and most of the teams throw out 3 or 4 WR's more than half the time. Rogers/Brown/Culliver/Boykin/Brock would be arguably the best set of CB's in the league.

I think we get a WR in free agency regardless and I don't want a 1st round WR anyways.

If Brooks and Rogers stay I think I would be happy with:

1- TE- Coby Fleener
2- WR- Joe Adams or CB- Brandon Boykin

Even if Brooks stays, Branch would be a nice pick. Haralson is steady but he can be upgraded on quite easilty. A rotation of Ahmad Brooks/Aldon Smith/Andre Branch would be deadly. Much like Pittsburg's with Woodley/Harrison/Worilds

You can never have enough top pass rushers and corners in this league these days.

These things are hard to do not knowing who we sign/re-sign.
True even if Brooks stays the OLB position is still extremely thin and needs to be addressed some point in the draft.
Made my 3rd round pick: Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State 6'3 (1/2) and a chiseled 222. Great hands and catches everything in site. He could be a real keeper and a nice redzone threat.

I had a couple other guys in mind but I think Quick's whole package is better than the other guys I was considering.

I like it so far.

30- Andre Branch - OLB - Clemson 6'5, 260
62- Brandon Boykin - CB/KR - Georgia 5'10, 183
93- Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State 6'4, 222



01/23/12 - 2012 SENIOR BOWL MONDAY: A few uncharacteristic drops from Appalachian State's Brian Quick late in Monday's practice dampened an otherwise strong initial showing from the FCS All-American. Quick, who measured in at a chiseled 6-3 (and a 1/2) and 222 pounds Monday morning was the early star among receivers. Though not sudden off the line of scrimmage, his long-strides help him to quickly eat up the cushion and he showed terrific hand-eye coordination making several impressive catches out of some poor throws. Quick, in fact, arguably made the catch of the day when he snatched a quick out thrown high and wide by Moore. Quick used every bit of his height and long arms to pull the ball down while dragging both feet in bounds to secure the catch. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

01/23/12 - 2012 SENIOR BOWL WEIGH-IN IMPRESSIONS: Perhaps the most significant element of the weigh-in proceedings is simply comparing the so-called "small school" prospects to the BCS players. Fortunately for Appalachian State wide receiver Brian Quick, Furman cornerback Ryan Steed, Massachusetts H-back/fullback Emil Igwenagu and Cal Poly cornerback Asa Jackson, their impressive physiques certainly passed the eye-ball test as legitimate pro prospects. Quick, in fact, was one of the more physically impressive players on either roster. He measured in at 6-3 (1/2) and a rock-solid 222 pounds. His 33 1/2 inch arms were only slighter shorter than North Carolina's Dwight Jones (33 5/8) and Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller (34 1/8) -- two receivers who have generated a great deal more national attention than Quick. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM ]
I dont like it, mainly because our need at Lb isnt that great and WR is.Even if we lose Brooks, Parys and Aldon will start so at best we got a backup LBer as our 1st round pick. I dont know Boykins well but if you dont take a wr Sanu in the 1st you must in the 2nd. Its just not good to me Im glad ur not our gm. Branch looks like a good prospect but instant need at that position is Sanu.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I dont like it, mainly because our need at Lb isnt that great and WR is.Even if we lose Brooks, Parys and Aldon will start so at best we got a backup LBer as our 1st round pick. I dont know Boykins well but if you dont take a wr Sanu in the 1st you must in the 2nd. Its just not good to me Im glad ur not our gm. Branch looks like a good prospect but instant need at that position is Sanu.

Brooks and Haralson were our starters last year but we spent the 7th overall on a linebacker.

Now this year it looks like Aldon and Haralson are our starters but it's not Ok to spend the 30th on a linebacker?

Im glad YOU aren't our GM for the simple fact that you dont think OLB is a need if we lose Brooks. That pretty much sums our post up.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,293
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for fan49.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Love the Boykins pick. I definitely see him being a steal in this draft to whomever picks him up. Yes he's short, but the dude can flat out ball.

I understand the Branch pick, I haven't seen him play much so can't judge if I want us to pick him or not. If we do get a WR FA, then I'll be okay with this since Brooks is gone. If we resign brooks, we should definitely consider reaching on a WR or even Fleener, who I think could open up this offense to a disgustingly high level.

Exactly, This was my thinking. I had to do this thing under the consideration that Brooks and Rogers bolt for greener pastures. Even if Rogers stays, the NFL is turning into a passing league and most of the teams throw out 3 or 4 WR's more than half the time. Rogers/Brown/Culliver/Boykin/Brock would be arguably the best set of CB's in the league.

I think we get a WR in free agency regardless and I don't want a 1st round WR anyways.

If Brooks and Rogers stay I think I would be happy with:

1- TE- Coby Fleener
2- WR- Joe Adams or CB- Brandon Boykin

Even if Brooks stays, Branch would be a nice pick. Haralson is steady but he can be upgraded on quite easilty. A rotation of Ahmad Brooks/Aldon Smith/Andre Branch would be deadly. Much like Pittsburg's with Woodley/Harrison/Worilds

You can never have enough top pass rushers and corners in this league these days.

These things are hard to do not knowing who we sign/re-sign.

dude even if we add fleener we have way bigger wholes to fill than add a te for harbaughs plays. fleener wont touch the field 80% of the time=waste of pick!!!!
Originally posted by fan49:
dude even if we add fleener we have way bigger wholes to fill than add a te for harbaughs plays. fleener wont touch the field 80% of the time=waste of pick!!!!

Go back and check how many snaps Delanie Walker was on the field as a 2nd TE. Then come back and say how big of an impact Fleener would make. Or save some time and watch a New England Patriots game and their two TE's.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Made my 3rd round pick: Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State 6'3 (1/2) and a chiseled 222. Great hands and catches everything in site. He could be a real keeper and a nice redzone threat.

I had a couple other guys in mind but I think Quick's whole package is better than the other guys I was considering.

I like it so far.

30- Andre Branch - OLB - Clemson 6'5, 260
62- Brandon Boykin - CB/KR - Georgia 5'10, 183
93- Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State 6'4, 222



01/23/12 - 2012 SENIOR BOWL MONDAY: A few uncharacteristic drops from Appalachian State's Brian Quick late in Monday's practice dampened an otherwise strong initial showing from the FCS All-American. Quick, who measured in at a chiseled 6-3 (and a 1/2) and 222 pounds Monday morning was the early star among receivers. Though not sudden off the line of scrimmage, his long-strides help him to quickly eat up the cushion and he showed terrific hand-eye coordination making several impressive catches out of some poor throws. Quick, in fact, arguably made the catch of the day when he snatched a quick out thrown high and wide by Moore. Quick used every bit of his height and long arms to pull the ball down while dragging both feet in bounds to secure the catch. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

01/23/12 - 2012 SENIOR BOWL WEIGH-IN IMPRESSIONS: Perhaps the most significant element of the weigh-in proceedings is simply comparing the so-called "small school" prospects to the BCS players. Fortunately for Appalachian State wide receiver Brian Quick, Furman cornerback Ryan Steed, Massachusetts H-back/fullback Emil Igwenagu and Cal Poly cornerback Asa Jackson, their impressive physiques certainly passed the eye-ball test as legitimate pro prospects. Quick, in fact, was one of the more physically impressive players on either roster. He measured in at 6-3 (1/2) and a rock-solid 222 pounds. His 33 1/2 inch arms were only slighter shorter than North Carolina's Dwight Jones (33 5/8) and Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller (34 1/8) -- two receivers who have generated a great deal more national attention than Quick. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com


I would be on board with those picks. I was worried about our receiver need until you took Quick in round 3. I love the pick. He might be a little raw, but maybe he can develop into a big time player. love the pick.

Our 3rd round pick is number 93 I think. That is in the neiborhood of where we took our last big time receiver 16 years ago with the 89th pick in 1996.



Brian Quick is even about the same size as T.O. 6-3 and a chiseled 220+. I'm not saying Quick is going to be the next T.O., shoot, he may not even become a 49er (talk about getting ahead of yourself lol), but one can dream, right?
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Feb 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM ]
I got TY Hilton in the 4th. I think he is a steal here considering he is the 2nd best slot receiver available IMO and a great return man. I dont feel as bad for losing out on Joe Adams now.

30- Andre Branch - OLB - Clemson 6'5, 260
62- Brandon Boykin - CB/KR - Georgia 5'10, 183
93- Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State 6'4, 222
125- TY Hilton - WR/KR - Florida Int. 5'10, 185
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone