There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How many picks do the 9ers have in 2012 draft

Before we start talking about trading this pick or that pick, I think it would be helpful if we determined exactly which picks the 49ers have in this year's draft. I assume we have the 30th pick in each round . . . right?

Do the 49ers already own any other picks besides the 30th pick in each round?

Are the 49ers likely to get any compensatory picks this year?
Originally posted by davidb:
Before we start talking about trading this pick or that pick, I think it would be helpful if we determined exactly which picks the 49ers have in this year's draft. I assume we have the 30th pick in each round . . . right?

Do the 49ers already own any other picks besides the 30th pick in each round?

I think for sure we have a pick in all the rounds. 1-7... some thought the Taylor Mays 7th rounder from Cinci was for this year but it is a 2013 7th rounder.
As for compensation I don't think that's out yet. I would say we would get a 7th rounder at best. Probably nothing since we signed more free agents than we lost and didn't really lose anybody big.

As for the pick I think we get 30th in each round. But you have to take into account the comp picks that go as high as I think after round 3. Since we finished at 13-3 and the other team that got knocked out in the championship round the Ravens (12-4) we would pick after them. The only way they rotate it each round is if you have the same record.

So in previous years (like last) we had the same record as say 2, 3 4 other teams. In the 1st round the team with the worst strength of schedule picks 1st and so on based on SOS. (highest last) Then in every round after 1 they rotate it so the team that picked 1st I think picks last of those teams with the same record in the 2nd round and they keep rotating.

So..
49ers 6-10 SOS .309
Cardinals 6-10. 410
Giants 6-10 .503

We have worst SOS so we pick 1st out of the 6-10 teams.

Then 2nd round: Cardinals, Giants, 49ers

then 3rd round: Giants, 49ers, Cardinals
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM ]
Originally posted by davidb:

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

Here are the free agents that I remember the 49ers losing in 2011:

- C David Baas
- ILB Takeo Spikes
- NT Aubrayo Franklin
- OLB Manny Lawson
- OLB Travis LaBoy

I think the 49ers might get some compensatory picks for the 2012 draft.
[ Edited by davidb on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM ]
If anything a 7th rd comp pick, but most likely none.

We gained Goodwin, Akers, Whitner and Rogers, while Braylon may count still as he was on roster long enough.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
If anything a 7th rd comp pick, but most likely none.

We gained Goodwin, Akers, Whitner and Rogers, while Braylon may count still as he was on roster long enough.

I read somewhere that they wouldn't be getting any comp picks, signed too many players for that.