LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

First & Second Round Priorities

Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I think we need playmakers wherever we can find them Fleener already knows Harbaugh's system, has good hands, and would be a matchup nightmare because of his size. Aside from VD and Gore(maybe Crabtree) we're lacking playmakers. Fleener was a big weapon for Stanford look at what VD does for us, all having Fleener would do is help Davis because the opposing defenses won't be able to put double coverage on both of them. Delanie Walker is good but no one will mistake him for an elite TE or playmaker, he's a good blocker but he's inconsistent when he's passed the ball. I think Fleener could block but also become the playmaker if VD is getting covered whereas Walker isn't that type of player, he would be a consistent threat to take it to the end zone like VD. Another advantage Fleener has over Walker is his size he would automatically create problems alone for that.
OK, I'm not saying that Fleener wouldn't be all those things you mentioned (playmaker, good hands, knows system, yes yes yes). However, we already have playmakers at the TE spot. Sure D. Walker isn't "elite", but hell, you can't expect to have elites everywhere. Besides, he still poses matchup problems for defenses. We lack a playmaker at WR. And it's at WR were this team needs help more. A TE pick is a luxury pick for us.
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Mark LeGree is probably much better than almost all S in this draft and he is already on the 49ers PS...Gworge Ilota is a huge physical presence in the secondary. He would be great addition to the 49er secondary

THIS. I checked out Mark LeGree's tape and im not understanding why hes only on the practice squad.
AM I THE ONLY PERSON TO NOTICE THAT DRE KIRKPATRICK FELL OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND ON EVERY SINGLE MOCK?
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I think we need playmakers wherever we can find them Fleener already knows Harbaugh's system, has good hands, and would be a matchup nightmare because of his size. Aside from VD and Gore(maybe Crabtree) we're lacking playmakers. Fleener was a big weapon for Stanford look at what VD does for us, all having Fleener would do is help Davis because the opposing defenses won't be able to put double coverage on both of them. Delanie Walker is good but no one will mistake him for an elite TE or playmaker, he's a good blocker but he's inconsistent when he's passed the ball. I think Fleener could block but also become the playmaker if VD is getting covered whereas Walker isn't that type of player, he would be a consistent threat to take it to the end zone like VD. Another advantage Fleener has over Walker is his size he would automatically create problems alone for that.
OK, I'm not saying that Fleener wouldn't be all those things you mentioned (playmaker, good hands, knows system, yes yes yes). However, we already have playmakers at the TE spot. Sure D. Walker isn't "elite", but hell, you can't expect to have elites everywhere. Besides, he still poses matchup problems for defenses. We lack a playmaker at WR. And it's at WR were this team needs help more. A TE pick is a luxury pick for us.

Dude, just watch Fleener in the Orange Bowl, or any of his YouTube highlight tapes ("Coby Fleener #82: UW Highlights" is so good it's just stupid) and ask yourself if any of the big wideouts (6'4" or above) that are available at the end of the first are doing anything that he can't do. Bear in mind that he has lined up at WR many times for Stanford. I was skeptical about Fleener in the first myself, but everything I see of him playing makes me more excited about the prospect. He has all of the body control one would expect from a wideout, and he is always open 5ft above his head.
i am on the fleener in the 1st
mcnutt in 2nd bandwagon

6 6 TE and a 6 4 WR both with speed
So we draft Fleener. And just what do we do with Vernon, bring him off the bench (won't happen)? Move Walker to WR (I'm actually not against that idea)? My point here, again, is need. We simply don't NEED another TE. Besides, I doubt Fleener would fall to us in the first. I don't think he'll get past pick 25. The only way I see us drafting Fleener, if he falls to us, is if the coaching staff had plans to move Walker to WR, and I'd like to see that regardless if we draft Fleener or not. Look, I saw Fleener too, and you are absolutely right about what you say about him. His stock is rising fast. But for the 49ers we are not weak at the TE position. Its was the WR position that we had the least production. And that lack of production expressed itself in the NFC title game. Fleener is good but we have bigger needs.
Depends on who we resign and who we pickup in FA

If we keep our core FA's and sign a #1 type wr:

Trent and Jim will have a list of BPA at the following postions:

WR, TE, OLB, CB, C/OG

I really think in this years draft, we will go with whoever our staff has rated the highest that is still on the board from the list above.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
AM I THE ONLY PERSON TO NOTICE THAT DRE KIRKPATRICK FELL OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND ON EVERY SINGLE MOCK?

pretty bad year and just tested positive for marujana

he gets beat deep a lot but has all the physcial tools to succeed (speed and size) just lacks fundementals and we have the best DB coach in country would defintially take a chance on him in first but WR is a must this yearso unles we fill WR in FA or we lse rogers then we pass on him
I would have to say that it will come down to who is available. WR in the late second would be great, but a great OG is usually available around that point as well. Right now, RG is an area that is a little weak and there is not much depth. They can always get a decent WR in the late second right up the fourth round. If they re-sign Morgan and Ginn the depth at WR will be great!!!
We have to get Big, able bodied men who can give and take a pounding
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM ]

WR RB
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Mark LeGree is probably much better than almost all S in this draft and he is already on the 49ers PS...Gworge Ilota is a huge physical presence in the secondary. He would be great addition to the 49er secondary

If he was, someone would have signed him off of our practice squad
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
So we draft Fleener. And just what do we do with Vernon, bring him off the bench (won't happen)? Move Walker to WR (I'm actually not against that idea)? My point here, again, is need. We simply don't NEED another TE. Besides, I doubt Fleener would fall to us in the first. I don't think he'll get past pick 25. The only way I see us drafting Fleener, if he falls to us, is if the coaching staff had plans to move Walker to WR, and I'd like to see that regardless if we draft Fleener or not. Look, I saw Fleener too, and you are absolutely right about what you say about him. His stock is rising fast. But for the 49ers we are not weak at the TE position. Its was the WR position that we had the least production. And that lack of production expressed itself in the NFC title game. Fleener is good but we have bigger needs.
1st - from your orginal post, I don't think crabtree is approaching bust mode. He had 874 of Alex's 3000 yards. That's almost a 3rd of the production and he didn't play every game either. Crabtree is fine and getting Morgan back should definately help.

2nd - I like Fleener but I don't know if the Niners will feel the same. If they do go for him it makes a lot of sense. It is all about having playmakers on the field and mismatches for defenses to scheme against. Tom Brady quietly threw for 5000 yards this year. After Wes Welker, his wr's are crap. They get the job done but for the most part they run the 2 TE (Gronk and Hernandez) set. It's different than how most teams do it but still effective. The 2 big TE's also are great blockers for our ball control offense. It will be really exciting if we go this way. I like D. Walker as a player but he is not really a mistmatch for the defense. I saw a stat for this year that Stanford's offense threw 20 of it's 38 td's to TE's. I don't know if I am remembering it correctly but it was really high and it showed that Harbaugh's/Romans system loves TE's and it's doesn't matter who's catching them.

3rd - I agree with adding depth to the wr position. This year's draft is deep so since we are at the end of the draft it really is best player available. We just don't know what the board will bring us. We target a bunch of guys that we like and see who's left when our turn comes up. Baalke showed last year that they will trade up for a player when they want them (Kaep) so we could do that again but they also waited on the Stanford fullback and we missed out on him to Cleveland???
Good post and interesting feedback.

Currently I feel our biggest priorities are WR [2] who can get seperations annd become red zone threats. If we have 2 WR who can get seperation and VD as TE we can give opposinng teams nightmares.

There are a number of WR in the 2-3 who can fit that need. I like McNutt in the 2-3 rounds. I feel he'll be gone when we pick in the 3rd.

The next priority,IMO, for round 1 or 2 would be CB. I don't know if we could land a solid one where we pick in the 2nd round.

FA will determine these two picks the most. Since we will be much more appealing to quality players Baalke/JH may find another gem or 2. I like Carr the CB from the Chiefs and he won't be that $. FA WR will command bigger $.
crabs is nowhere near a bust
Share 49ersWebzone