LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 119 users in the forums

Mock Offseason Take #3

• sfout
  • Veteran
***INTRO***
A couple of things real quick, I won't get into numbers as the biggest re-signs will be Smith and Rogers(ballpark of 15-20 mill) and the free agents, with one exception, are all low invest, high reward types just like this season(Carlos and Braylon both signed 1 year deals while Whitner signed a 3 year $12M deal) . So we'll be well below the salary cap. I've been inspired by the ever present idea that JH wants to be versatile, use multiple TE's on the field at the same time, and I've decided to carry 4 TEs and 4 WRs, not saying this is what will happen but it looks like we could head down this road.

Franchise:
Dashon Goldson - At $6.5 million for one year we'd have him back at a near bargain. It also provides a good jumping point for a long term deal.

Re-sign:
Alex Smith
Carlos Rogers
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan
Blake Costanzo
Tavares Gooden
CJ Spillman
Tramaine Brock

Not Retained:
Ahmad Brooks - Colts, Jets, Ravens, and most importantly the always overspending Redskins will all be in the market for new OLBs this off season someone will over pay him.
Brett Swain - Wont shock me if he doesn't play in the league next year.
Madieu Williams - Being a stand up guy wont always get you a job, especially when you're on the wrong side of 30. Save for that crushing blow he got flagged for early in the season I don't think he did anything for us.
Justin Peele - Nothing more then an emergency signing, shouldn't be re-signed especially with the idea of us drafting a TE and/or promoting Reuland.
Reggie Smith - Already been reported that the hers and his agent have agreed to amicably part ways.
Moran Norris - Insert same reason as Madieu Williams.
Chilo Rachal - A complete waste, if only Harbaugh's praise had worked on him like it on Alex…..A bit of Apples and Oranges but you get the point.
Larry Grant - Wish we could but he will likely be offered a gig by the Lions, Redskins, Vikings, Cowboys, Giants or Ravens.
Will Tukuafu - A career back up who spend nearly the whole season on IR. Just trimming the fat and starting over with a new, younger guy.

Cut:
Shawntae Spencer - He was inactive for playoffs, that alone says he is on the way out. He also sang the tune of wanting a new start during end of season interviews, we'll cut or trade him before the draft.
Rick Jean-Francois - I like RJF but he is a career back up and I'm taking the opportunity to make the team younger with the idea that Ian Williams takes a big step forward during a full off season.
Nate Byham - I've used this example to go down the round of a 4TE/4WR type offense. Byham loses out because we draft Fleener and again I'm running with the idea that Reuland has improved his blocking.
Kyle Williams - Not trying to force this one but I'm going with the idea that he was the 5th WR during this previous season and naturally we will cut the 5th WR when going to a 4TE/4WR offense.

Free Agent Signings:
WR Marques Colston - A solid big bodied target over the middle and in the redone.
OLB Erin Henderson - A younger less proven version of Brooks, might require a bit of large deal to pull him away from the Vikings but nowhere near what we'd have to pay Brooks to retain him.
RG Ramon Foster - Very under the radar. Surrendered just 3 measly sacks all season long.
SS Chris Hope - Another aging veteran but he is more able bodied than Madieu.

***Practice Squad***
Chase Beeler
Derek Hall
Kyle Wilson
Joe Hastings - Could lose his spot to Dontavia Bogan during camp.
Michael Wilhoite
Cory Nelms
Mark Legree
Curtis Holcombe - Takes Reuland's spot.

Draft:
1. Coby Fleener TE - Going with the idea that JH wants to use more 2 TE maybe even 3 TE sets. Fleener will know the system on day 1 and be able to contribute immediately.
2. Cam Johnson OLB - Played the bulk of his college days in a 34 scheme and looked great doing it. He might not win the starting job out of the gate but I like his future.
3. Brian Quick WR - Someone knocked on me when I pointed out that he might need a little bit to learn a full playbook, look how that turned out for Vernon with our system. Also Marques Colston seems like the perfect mentor for Quick.
4. Ryan Steed CB - Instinctive and athletic, also a high character guy, this years Curtis Holcombe for our team.
5. Travian Robertson DE - Just a great depth pick for our DL. Could step in and compete against Demarcus Dobbs for the #3 or 4 gig.
6. Jerrell Young FS - Depth purposed pick but he has some potential if he ever needs to see the field.
7. David Snow C - He can compete against Beeler for the back up job and both can apprentice underneath Goodwin.

***Key Players To Invite To Camp***
If these players go undrafted I would really want us to invite them to camp.

QB: Darron Thomas Oregon
RB: Jeremy Stewart Stanford
WR: Dyrell Roberts VTech
TE: Brandon Barden Vanderbilt
OT: Daron Rose North Alabama
OG: Ken Plue Purdue
OC: Jeremiah Hatch Kansas
DT: Terrell Rosonno Missouri
OLB: Darius Nall UCF
ILB: Brian Hendricks Wyoming
CB: Cliff Harris Oregon (Surprised? He very likely could completely tumble off boards, he's smaller then Desean Jackson and has "character issues" beyond words.)
FS: Janzen Jackson McNeese State
SS: Corey Mosley Virginia

*** 2012 Depth Chart ***
QB: Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon
FB: Bruce Miller
TE: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Coby Fleener, Konrad Reuland
WR: Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brian Quick
LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone
LG: Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore
OC: Jonathan Goodwin, David Snow
RG: Ramon Foster, Adam Snyder
RT: Anthony Davis, Mike Person

LDE: Ray MacDonald, Demarcus Dobbs
NT: Isaac Sopoaga, Ian Williams
RDE: Justin Smith, Travian Robertson
LOLB: Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson
MLB1: Patrick Willis, Tavares Gooden
MLB2: Navarro Bowman, Blake Costanzo
ROLB: Erin Henderson, Cam Johnson
LCB: Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Ryan Steed
RCB: Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock
FS: Dashon Goldson, Jerrell Young, Colin Jones
SS: Donte Whitner, Chris Hope, CJ Spillman

K/PR: Kendall Hunter, Jerrell Young
K: David Akers
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

***CONCLUSION***
I'll do one more take after the combine but this was mix of my thinking plus some other point of views around the zone (i.e. OTC's thread on draft a TE). Once again a bit of reminder that this is very hypothetical and I'm just trying to illustrate that having a 4TE/4WR team can work.

As usual comments and criticism are very welcome.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM ]
I like!!! definitely solved our receiving corps problems while adding depth and youth into our defense and you made realistic FA signings

we may lack a deep threat tho so maybe we can resign Ginn also
I dont mind your mock but you are insane if you think Henderson can replace Brooks.

Henderson 1.5 career sacks in 4 years as a 4-3 weak OLB
Brooks 20 sacks in 6 seasons as a 3-4 OLB

And I have no idea why you cut RJF. He was a HUGE part of our rotation and gets better by the day. He is not going anywhere. Plus, Ian Williams can't play DE like RJF can. I think Francois is on the books for like 500K so cutting him does absolutly nothing but deplete our depth.
You said Henderson is a "A younger less proven version of Brooks". But it's only a 2 year difference in age. And Henderson has a whole 1.5 career sacks. I'll take Ahmad's 7.0 sacks this year over Henderson's 1.5 his whole career anyday. Plus Henderson would be an ILB in a 3-4, imo.

You also think the Redskins would overpay for Brooks, but why would they do that when they have Kerrigan (1st rounder this past year) and Orakpo (2x Pro-Bowler)? Do you think they'll overpay for a backup OLB? Do you think Brooks would want to go somewhere where he wouldn't start?
Nice mock
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I like!!! definitely solved our receiving corps problems while adding depth and youth into our defense and you made realistic FA signings

we may lack a deep threat tho so maybe we can resign Ginn also

Gratze. The concept of the offense is that Vernon, Fleener and Colston become our "deep threats".

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I dont mind your mock but you are insane if you think Henderson can replace Brooks.

Henderson 1.5 career sacks in 4 years as a 4-3 weak OLB
Brooks 20 sacks in 6 seasons as a 3-4 OLB

And I have no idea why you cut RJF. He was a HUGE part of our rotation and gets better by the day. He is not going anywhere. Plus, Ian Williams can't play DE like RJF can. I think Francois is on the books for like 500K so cutting him does absolutly nothing but deplete our depth.

Henderson has been receiving some pretty solid evaluations, he'd be able to handle the workload. I'm not asking for a long term replacement, that is why I put Cam Johnson in the 2nd round, he's the long term answer for OLB opposite Aldon. Brooks will be trying to get a big money deal this year and I dont think we'll jump through hoops to keep him. Especially when this scenario could get shot in the foot aby the possibility of us moving Aldon over to replace Brooks and leave Haralson in the starting lineup.

How do you know Williams can't play DE like RJF can? You don't, and that doesn't matter because I had Travian Robertson coming in as 3-4 DE backup. I'm thinking of getting younger and thinking about the future, coaches have to make tough decisions to get the team better. He might be due a cheap $500K but so would the rookie when picked that late. Our depth is hurt at all, both Dobbs and Williams will be 2nd year players and we lose 1 veteran who's only played in spot/reserve duty and done nothing to extremely distinguish himself. I'd prefer the concept of looking for better players, we know what we have in RJF and he is nothing special, just another replaceable back up.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
You said Henderson is a "A younger less proven version of Brooks". But it's only a 2 year difference in age. And Henderson has a whole 1.5 career sacks. I'll take Ahmad's 7.0 sacks this year over Henderson's 1.5 his whole career anyday. Plus Henderson would be an ILB in a 3-4, imo.

You also think the Redskins would overpay for Brooks, but why would they do that when they have Kerrigan (1st rounder this past year) and Orakpo (2x Pro-Bowler)? Do you think they'll overpay for a backup OLB? Do you think Brooks would want to go somewhere where he wouldn't start?

I've used a couple of free agency lists to pick out Henderson, ranked as the next best rush linebacker behind brooks on Walterfootball but again I am mainly looking for a body to come in and help us ease Cam Johnson into the role and/or simply provide competition. I personally think Johnson could start day 1.

My bad on the skins for brooks, I was reading up on MLBs when I wrote that, was doing this the same time as I watched a movie. No Brooks wouldn't go there but all the other places are legitimate landing spots.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock

Thank you sir.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
You aggressively target the key areas of current weakness for the 49ers. Good job addressing the WR position. A few concerns regarding the plan:

- As another poster as mentioned, the Henderson signing is a head scratcher. As a native of MN, I can tell you that Henderson would be an awful fit in the 3-4 defense at outside linebacker. Maybe a 3-4 inside linebacker, but his best fit is in a 4-3 defense. I don't think Ahmad Brooks will be really that difficult to resign. The 49ers gave him a 2nd chance, and converted him to an outside linebacker. He had previously been a 4-3 ILB and OLB. I expect Brooks to resign with a contract slightly under market value.

- The 49ers are, once again, dangerously thin at special teams return abilities on the team. Personally, I don't want Hunter on special teams anymore. With Gore's injury history and age, we need a running back dedicated to the 1B role instead of a change of pace backup that he was in 2011. We should be able to resign Ginn. Keep 9 OLs and 5 WRs.

- I don't agree with the Byham and RJF cuts. Unless you are replacing them with someone truly better, you maintain the depth you have that got you to a 13-3 record. Granted Byham was on IR, RJF has filled in very well at nose tackle and defensive end. He isn't at the same level as McDonald in terms of pass rush, but he's a solid rotational player.

Again, these are my opinions. But if you carried out your plan, the offense would be MUCH more potent.
Nice!

I'm not sure about Henderson at OLB either tho. I would even consider bringing Manny back to fill that role if we lose Brooks. I think his stock is down and he would come cheap and we could groom Johnson behind him. Use Johnson much like we used Aldon this season. Idk if that's feasible but just a thought.

You got the offense looking potent but I think with the drafting of Fleener, promoting Reuland, and bringing in Colston, that's enough size right there. Would love if we could get Joe Adams instead of Quick at that spot. Explosive playmaker and would fill the void in the return game.

Like the depth you brought in at guard and safety and overall, a good mock
first, i dont see us drafting a TE in first round when we have davis and walker even if harbaugh wants 4 TEs on roster. its not an area of need at all.
second, i dont think we will get colston. i would love to have him but i dont see him leaving Brees. meachem would be better because he is further down the saints depth chart
third, brooks > henderson, that would downgrade the OLB postion, imo
fourth, RJF is solid on the Dline, plus he was a 7th rounder so im sure he's cheap. no need to cut him.
RJF, is valueable as crap plays both DE and NT and basically was the only guy that rotated into that lineup. No way he gets cut. I dont mind replacing Brooks with Johnson but not henderson . I believe people are putting too much into brian quick Probably would be alot better to go with Sanu 1 since wr is a bigger need even with Colston coming in and snag Lardarius Green in the 2nd or 3rd round. With Colston, Sanu, Crabtree, Walker Davis and Green there's a pass catching core that could be a nightmare for defenses.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, keep RJF. He should be re-signable.
I like a lot of your mock offseason but not all.

~ Vincent Jackson is better than Colston. Bigger, stronger, faster and more of deep threat.
~ I don't see Ted Ginn on your mock offseason. And boy does the NFC Championship game show we need him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
You aggressively target the key areas of current weakness for the 49ers. Good job addressing the WR position. A few concerns regarding the plan:

- As another poster as mentioned, the Henderson signing is a head scratcher. As a native of MN, I can tell you that Henderson would be an awful fit in the 3-4 defense at outside linebacker. Maybe a 3-4 inside linebacker, but his best fit is in a 4-3 defense. I don't think Ahmad Brooks will be really that difficult to resign. The 49ers gave him a 2nd chance, and converted him to an outside linebacker. He had previously been a 4-3 ILB and OLB. I expect Brooks to resign with a contract slightly under market value.

- The 49ers are, once again, dangerously thin at special teams return abilities on the team. Personally, I don't want Hunter on special teams anymore. With Gore's injury history and age, we need a running back dedicated to the 1B role instead of a change of pace backup that he was in 2011. We should be able to resign Ginn. Keep 9 OLs and 5 WRs.

- I don't agree with the Byham and RJF cuts. Unless you are replacing them with someone truly better, you maintain the depth you have that got you to a 13-3 record. Granted Byham was on IR, RJF has filled in very well at nose tackle and defensive end. He isn't at the same level as McDonald in terms of pass rush, but he's a solid rotational player.

Again, these are my opinions. But if you carried out your plan, the offense would be MUCH more potent.

- I figured the Henderson signing would be a but I'm just looking for a body as in the draft I have us picking a long term solution in Cam Johnson. I know if I had gotten into the #'s we would easily re-sign Brooks but I am just too much of a believer that someone will pull him away from us.

- I'd love to keep Byham but you could argue that he is "one of singletary's guys" and I am trying to make our TE's more versatile, the jumbo packages with Justin and Soap can easily replace the blocking capacity that Byham brings to the table.

- RJF was merely a casualty of my idea, I like him but I do think we can do better at the postion so I took a shot at it.

Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Nice!

I'm not sure about Henderson at OLB either tho. I would even consider bringing Manny back to fill that role if we lose Brooks. I think his stock is down and he would come cheap and we could groom Johnson behind him. Use Johnson much like we used Aldon this season. Idk if that's feasible but just a thought.

You got the offense looking potent but I think with the drafting of Fleener, promoting Reuland, and bringing in Colston, that's enough size right there. Would love if we could get Joe Adams instead of Quick at that spot. Explosive playmaker and would fill the void in the return game.

Like the depth you brought in at guard and safety and overall, a good mock

- Manny looks good in a 43 though :/ no way he comes back here especially if the Bengals will keep him. I do think there are better options but again I used random draft sites to pick out a replacement and he was always up there in their rankings. But again I think Cam Johnson would win the starting role anyway.

Would be a great alternative and I honestly was picking between Quick and Adams for that choice :D It just happened that I view Quick as near replica of Colston and bringing of both of them in would be an incredible boost to our passing game

- I'm really pulling for a pursuit of Ramon Foster, I think he would be one of the biggest steals if we could get him.

Originally posted by niners9:
first, i dont see us drafting a TE in first round when we have davis and walker even if harbaugh wants 4 TEs on roster. its not an area of need at all.
second, i dont think we will get colston. i would love to have him but i dont see him leaving Brees. meachem would be better because he is further down the saints depth chart
third, brooks > henderson, that would downgrade the OLB postion, imo
fourth, RJF is solid on the Dline, plus he was a 7th rounder so im sure he's cheap. no need to cut him.

- Again I stressed that this was purely hypothetical idea, to illustrate that it could be done and in my opinion would be a great move for our offense.

- Colston is a complete wildcard as I think the Saints will franchise him unless they use the tag of Nicks. If we lost on Colston I would probably say Vincent Jackson is the most logical choice.

- Every needs to stop focusing on the fact that I signed Henderson and remember that I drafted a long term solution to OLB in the 2nd with Cam Johnson. Guy is a stud and has the ability to play from day 1.

- RJF is a bit of an odd move I know but I am just convinced that we can do better. Whether in FA or draft.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
RJF, is valueable as crap plays both DE and NT and basically was the only guy that rotated into that lineup. No way he gets cut. I dont mind replacing Brooks with Johnson but not henderson . I believe people are putting too much into brian quick Probably would be alot better to go with Sanu 1 since wr is a bigger need even with Colston coming in and snag Lardarius Green in the 2nd or 3rd round. With Colston, Sanu, Crabtree, Walker Davis and Green there's a pass catching core that could be a nightmare for defenses.

Woo someone else who sees the light with Green! Your idea is probably what I actually see the team doing in terms of drafting a WR and TE, in another thread I wrote that Green is more of an athlete and has a physical build almost identical to Calvin Johnson and IMO would not have a difficult time playing as a WR or TE.

I'd personally rather we draft Sanu but again this was an idea of mine just to show that we could draft a new TE and make the offense more diverse and explosive.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, keep RJF. He should be re-signable.

He's not a FA, I simply have him losing his roster spot based on off season moves :/ sad I know but I was just being proactive in keeping the team younger. Again in every other mock I've done and in the mock I do after the combine I'll still have RJF on the team but it was just how the idea flowed that he had to go.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I like a lot of your mock offseason but not all.

~ Vincent Jackson is better than Colston. Bigger, stronger, faster and more of deep threat.
~ I don't see Ted Ginn on your mock offseason. And boy does the NFC Championship game show we need him.

1 - Yes I agree VJAX is a better option but as I mention at the beginning of this post; I view Colston and Quick as near copies of each other so I ran with the idea.

2 - Nope no Ted Ginn. I wanted to find a way to keep him but the concept of this was go 4WR/4TE and the consequences of this idea was losing both Ginn and Williams.

Bold point - Believe me I know we need Ginn and just as I wrote above regarding the RJF move, I've never advocated the idea of not re-signing Ginn, IMO we need him more then he needs us and he can use that to his advantage. I re-signed him in both of my previous mocks and will do so in my mock after combine. This was again, an idea I got from OTC's thread about drafting a TE.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
***INTRO***
A couple of things real quick, I won't get into numbers as the biggest re-signs will be Smith and Rogers(ballpark of 15-20 mill) and the free agents, with one exception, are all low invest, high reward types just like this season(Carlos and Braylon both signed 1 year deals while Whitner signed a 3 year $12M deal) . So we'll be well below the salary cap. I've been inspired by the ever present idea that JH wants to be versatile, use multiple TE's on the field at the same time, and I've decided to carry 4 TEs and 4 WRs, not saying this is what will happen but it looks like we could head down this road.

Franchise:
Dashon Goldson - At $6.5 million for one year we'd have him back at a near bargain. It also provides a good jumping point for a long term deal.

Re-sign:
Alex Smith
Carlos Rogers
Adam Snyder
Josh Morgan
Blake Costanzo
Tavares Gooden
CJ Spillman
Tramaine Brock

Not Retained:
Ahmad Brooks - Colts, Jets, Ravens, and most importantly the always overspending Redskins will all be in the market for new OLBs this off season someone will over pay him.
Brett Swain - Wont shock me if he doesn't play in the league next year.
Madieu Williams - Being a stand up guy wont always get you a job, especially when you're on the wrong side of 30. Save for that crushing blow he got flagged for early in the season I don't think he did anything for us.
Justin Peele - Nothing more then an emergency signing, shouldn't be re-signed especially with the idea of us drafting a TE and/or promoting Reuland.
Reggie Smith - Already been reported that the hers and his agent have agreed to amicably part ways.
Moran Norris - Insert same reason as Madieu Williams.
Chilo Rachal - A complete waste, if only Harbaugh's praise had worked on him like it on Alex…..A bit of Apples and Oranges but you get the point.
Larry Grant - Wish we could but he will likely be offered a gig by the Lions, Redskins, Vikings, Cowboys, Giants or Ravens.
Will Tukuafu - A career back up who spend nearly the whole season on IR. Just trimming the fat and starting over with a new, younger guy.

Cut:
Shawntae Spencer - He was inactive for playoffs, that alone says he is on the way out. He also sang the tune of wanting a new start during end of season interviews, we'll cut or trade him before the draft.
Rick Jean-Francois - I like RJF but he is a career back up and I'm taking the opportunity to make the team younger with the idea that Ian Williams takes a big step forward during a full off season.
Nate Byham - I've used this example to go down the round of a 4TE/4WR type offense. Byham loses out because we draft Fleener and again I'm running with the idea that Reuland has improved his blocking.
Kyle Williams - Not trying to force this one but I'm going with the idea that he was the 5th WR during this previous season and naturally we will cut the 5th WR when going to a 4TE/4WR offense.

Free Agent Signings:
WR Marques Colston - A solid big bodied target over the middle and in the redone.
OLB Erin Henderson - A younger less proven version of Brooks, might require a bit of large deal to pull him away from the Vikings but nowhere near what we'd have to pay Brooks to retain him.
RG Ramon Foster - Very under the radar. Surrendered just 3 measly sacks all season long.
SS Chris Hope - Another aging veteran but he is more able bodied than Madieu.

***Practice Squad***
Chase Beeler
Derek Hall
Kyle Wilson
Joe Hastings - Could lose his spot to Dontavia Bogan during camp.
Michael Wilhoite
Cory Nelms
Mark Legree
Curtis Holcombe - Takes Reuland's spot.

Draft:
1. Coby Fleener TE - Going with the idea that JH wants to use more 2 TE maybe even 3 TE sets. Fleener will know the system on day 1 and be able to contribute immediately.
2. Cam Johnson OLB - Played the bulk of his college days in a 34 scheme and looked great doing it. He might not win the starting job out of the gate but I like his future.
3. Brian Quick WR - Someone knocked on me when I pointed out that he might need a little bit to learn a full playbook, look how that turned out for Vernon with our system. Also Marques Colston seems like the perfect mentor for Quick.
4. Ryan Steed CB - Instinctive and athletic, also a high character guy, this years Curtis Holcombe for our team.
5. Travian Robertson DE - Just a great depth pick for our DL. Could step in and compete against Demarcus Dobbs for the #3 or 4 gig.
6. Jerrell Young FS - Depth purposed pick but he has some potential if he ever needs to see the field.
7. David Snow C - He can compete against Beeler for the back up job and both can apprentice underneath Goodwin.

***Key Players To Invite To Camp***
If these players go undrafted I would really want us to invite them to camp.

QB: Darron Thomas Oregon
RB: Jeremy Stewart Stanford
WR: Dyrell Roberts VTech
TE: Brandon Barden Vanderbilt
OT: Daron Rose North Alabama
OG: Ken Plue Purdue
OC: Jeremiah Hatch Kansas
DT: Terrell Rosonno Missouri
OLB: Darius Nall UCF
ILB: Brian Hendricks Wyoming
CB: Cliff Harris Oregon (Surprised? He very likely could completely tumble off boards, he's smaller then Desean Jackson and has "character issues" beyond words.)
FS: Janzen Jackson McNeese State
SS: Corey Mosley Virginia

*** 2012 Depth Chart ***
QB: Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon
FB: Bruce Miller
TE: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Coby Fleener, Konrad Reuland
WR: Marques Colston, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brian Quick
LT: Joe Staley, Alex Boone
LG: Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore
OC: Jonathan Goodwin, David Snow
RG: Ramon Foster, Adam Snyder
RT: Anthony Davis, Mike Person

LDE: Ray MacDonald, Demarcus Dobbs
NT: Isaac Sopoaga, Ian Williams
RDE: Justin Smith, Travian Robertson
LOLB: Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson
MLB1: Patrick Willis, Tavares Gooden
MLB2: Navarro Bowman, Blake Costanzo
ROLB: Erin Henderson, Cam Johnson
LCB: Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Ryan Steed
RCB: Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock
FS: Dashon Goldson, Jerrell Young, Colin Jones
SS: Donte Whitner, Chris Hope, CJ Spillman

K/PR: Kendall Hunter, Jerrell Young
K: David Akers
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

***CONCLUSION***
I'll do one more take after the combine but this was mix of my thinking plus some other point of views around the zone (i.e. OTC's thread on draft a TE). Once again a bit of reminder that this is very hypothetical and I'm just trying to illustrate that having a 4TE/4WR team can work.

As usual comments and criticism are very welcome.

I really like the fa and the mock. I love the Quick pick. The only thing is that I would use the money that we would spend on Henderson and just bring Ahmad back.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Brian Hendricks has no NFL potential. Gabe Knapton and Tashaun Gipson are the only cowboys worth looking at.
Share 49ersWebzone