There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Senior Bowl GAMEDAY Thread

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by sfout:
who won mvp?

Most likely will be drafted in the 1st round.
man, that game was boring
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Few things that made it boring:

- No top receivers like Floyd or Wright playing.
- No 1st round QB's playing
- No 1st round RB's playing
- Weak safety class, meaning no 1st or possibly even 2nd round safeties playing.

All this adds up to = less possibility for big, exciting plays.

Top defensive players I saw:

OLB Melvin Ingram - got the most pressure.
CB Norman - name was barely called, good thing, QBs stayed away.
DE Cam Johnson - thought he or Curry was the best DE.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Most of them are, everyone's trying to impress on defense and the offense is only given a week to learn a new offense, gel with teammates and learn new technique.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Most of them are, everyone's trying to impress on defense and the offense is only given a week to learn a new offense, gel with teammates and learn new technique.

Yea offense is just trying to show that they can execute properly and run an nfl style offense. Defense is trying to make plays all game, it's why the scores are always around the 20 mark.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

- Weak safety class, meaning no 1st or possibly even 2nd round safeties playing.

Between Johnson and Curry, who do you think will most likely be on the board in the 2nd? I'm really keen on the idea of picking either of them or Devin Taylor out of South Carolina a round or 2 later. Also Bruce Irvin in the 2nd, even though he is a bit of a one trick pony.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I haven't watched the whole game but some of my thoughts:
Lindley - I actually thought he looked better then I expected, should be a mid-to-late rounder
Cousins - I thought he looked awesome. I'd be shocked if he doesn't go in the 2nd. I love this dude's arm strength and quick release. He has to improve his touch and decision making.
Coples - By far a lock for top 10 and a good arguement for top 5. Talent is through the roof.
Wilson - looked like garbage
Kellen Moore - looked better then I thought, but still showed a weak arm
Doug Martin - WOW. I see why people were raving about him. Definately impressive back, love his lower body strength and accelleration.
Pead - I told you guys he was a playmaker
Gerrell Robinson - I told you guys he is a menace in the slot, which is where he made his TD cach and run. He is NOT a flanker/outside WR
Mike Adams - lock for 1st round, looked great
Iowa State O-lineman - can't spell his name, looked bad
Criner - he looked pretty good
CBs overall - looked pretty poor. Hayward is not a man cover CB but man is he a smart player.....
Kelemete - he cannot play tackle
Joe Adams - he may only be 170 pds but he is strong, quick and fast.

Only at the start of the 3rd so far....

would like to know what you liked about the SDSU QB, didn't impress me at all

Arm Strength and Release. His accuracy was off a bit, but if the WR crop was better a lot of those incompletions would have been made. A lot of his balls the WRs got a hand on it and dropped.

Yea offense is just trying to show that they can execute properly and run an nfl style offense. Defense is trying to make plays all game, it's why the scores are always around the 20 mark.

Quote:

Between Johnson and Curry, who do you think will most likely be on the board in the 2nd? I'm really keen on the idea of picking either of them or Devin Taylor out of South Carolina a round or 2 later. Also Bruce Irvin in the 2nd, even though he is a bit of a one trick pony.

It's hard to say, but I think Cam Johnson at THIS point will be the one most likely on the board. Curry has substantial statistical production to support his on-film dominance. Johnson is VERY good, but may not exhibit the overall polish of Curry. A 4-3 team wanting a monster DE in the 2nd will look at Curry as a great option.

We'll see what happens though with combine workouts. Johnson's agility drills and 40, if good, could make him go earlier to another 3-4 team.

Just a side note -- Devin Taylor is not in this draft because he's a junior and decided to return to school.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
who won mvp?

Most likely will be drafted in the 1st round.

NVM, Isaiah Pead named Senior Bowl MVP, wow may be wrong.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
It's hard to say, but I think Cam Johnson at THIS point will be the one most likely on the board. Curry has substantial statistical production to support his on-film dominance. Johnson is VERY good, but may not exhibit the overall polish of Curry. A 4-3 team wanting a monster DE in the 2nd will look at Curry as a great option.

We'll see what happens though with combine workouts. Johnson's agility drills and 40, if good, could make him go earlier to another 3-4 team.

Just a side note -- Devin Taylor is not in this draft because he's a junior and decided to return to school.

Whoa, a couple of mocks I've seen really need to pay attention then.

haha, did he have any good runs or was it just for those kick returns?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

It was pretty much his punt returns that set up the North squad.

He only managed 35 total yards.

It was pretty much his punt returns that set up the North squad.

He only managed 35 total yards.

He had 2 or 3 good runs. But the North had a lot of trouble running against Coples/Brown.

Pead looked fantastic. He will be a playmaker in the league, mark it down.
Watched the game twice, once using remote to replay plays over and again.

Here is what I saw:
1. Joe Adams- lightening quick. People gave him a huge buffer because he is so quick. Slippery. Will probably end up a late second, early third selection, as he adds special teams return value.

2. Quinton Coples- when he is on, he is nearly unstoppable. Two deflects, a sack, multiple disruptions. However, he also takes off plays. When matched against Schwartz, the Cal OT handled him with ease tonight, which shocked me. More on Schwartz later.

3. Marvin Ingram- quiet, quiet game. I think tackles are beginning to figure out the Everette Brown spin move and simply resist the urge to lunge and get off balance.

4. Courtney Upshaw- mixed game. Pressures at times, and yet runs himself out of plays, does not contain the backside too often, Did not look like a star tonight.

5. Two DT were incredibly disruptive tonight- Alameda Ta'Amu blew up multiple plays. He was the best 2-down toilet clogger out there. Terrific performance. Brandon Thompson is a star 4-3 undertackle in the making. Sitting in the backfield the whole day. Stud.

6. Best CB on the field was Boykin. Saw him once or twice the whole game. Nobody threw against him after blanket coverage in the first quarter. Jenkins got busted for peeking into the backfield and a double move roasted him. However, Cousins threw the ball into the first row. Norman played with two much pad, but did not look out of place. Heyward is shaky. One good play, one not so good. Don't think he can flip and run like the rest. Felt the same about Fletcher. Cover 2 corner written all over him. Graded Boykin the best tonight.

7. Antonio Allen can lay the wood. Liked his performance. Markelle Martin can run. Harrison Smith had a quiet night. Iloka looked smooth for a guy so tall. With so few deep passes, really hard to grade these guys in coverage.

8. Cover backers stole the day for me. Zach Brown- don't even throw his way. Excellent cover skills. Loved the movement of Jake Bequette of Arkansas. Really smooth player who can cover while Aldon rushes. Lot to like. Very natural in space. Wagner of Utah State is going to be one very good 4-3 backer in the NFL. He looks like a future starter and stud for some team.

9. Whole bunch of mid-round 3-4 DE prospects who looked pretty decent- Malik Jackson, 6' 4 3/4", 285, gave Schwartz more of a headache than Quinton Coples. Really good game by the Tennessee star. Kheeston Randall of Texas was pushed outside on some passing downs, and for a guy at 6 4 1/2", 297, pretty smooth athlete. Cincinnati's Derek Wolfe, at 6'5", 300 pounds just looks like a good football player. Stacks his man well, and was able to make a few solid plays. Poor Billy Winn. Looks lost. I'd probably grade him as a 6th round prospect. I see very little to be enthusiastic about. Finally, Kendall Reyes had a better practice week than game, but the 6'4", 300, UConn stud had a decent game. Stack your boards with these guys in the 3-5th rounds.

10. I mostly focus on the big uglies on offense, and the big winner was Cal's Mitchell Schwartz, who has a tremendous kick slide, and was an anchor at RT. Mike Adams gets all the praise and attention, but Schwartz graded out better. Faced all three of the big dogs: Coples, Upshaw, Ingram, and shut them out. Not just shut them out, but kept a gigantic bubble from these players to the QB. Could end up a second rounder after this week's performance. Cordy Glenn played LT and LG and actually was superior at tackle, which surprised me. Smooth athlete, but does not have a killer instinct. Would like to see more fire from him. But, technically, really solid. The best second level blocker was Utah's Tony Bergstrom, who was ultra smooth at chipping off a tackle, and then attacking a LB. Squared up and drove LB's out of the play on nearly every duty. Impressive performance. Mike Brewster, what a mess. Will Blackwell, Yikes!!!! Matt McCants- outclassed. Some really bad line play from many guys on the field today.

11. Pass rushers- Cam Johnson had a mixed game. Had a few solid pressures and one sack. Tends to be blown out of plays when running wide. Needs to develop an inside move. Has those long arms. Relentless. Nice prospect. I called Vinnie Curry my pre-game choice for Most Valuable Defensive player, and I think he deserved the honor. Two sacks, one deflection, and one QB hit that caused an INT. Quiet in spots, but has multiple pass rush moves, including a bull rush.

12. WR- As stated before, Adams was the star. Criner was the second best WR today. A number of receptions against solid corners. Looked smooth in and out of cuts, and ran terrific routes. Very impressive performance. I hope the kid runs a solid forty time. I have fears we will see a 4.60 time, and he will be fighting for a top 100 pick. Looks like a late second, or third round prospect with a decent forty time. Brian Quick had a couple receptions and drew a pass interference.

Will take any questions on any player of interest. Way too many to discuss in one posting.
I too thought Schwartz had a solid game, he didn't really wow me though to where I'd say he had a dominating performance, but he got the job done and got it done well, he seemed to get better reviews during practice as the week went on too
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Marvin Jones has a knee injury and will not return

Draft him
I just was hearing reports from the Senior Bowl...It appears Boykin was by far the best CB, he may have placed himself as a top 15 pick. Dennard's stock took a nosedive..., Jenkins looked very fast and very physical
Marvin Jones was the most polished WR running precisely executed routes
[ Edited by Orlando49erfan on Jan 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]