There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should we trade our 2013 first round pick ?

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Hear me out ...I know it could be a gamble, but if we trade our 2013 1st rounder for a 2012 2nd rounder, we could add even more punch to the roster for 2012

Next season we could take a BIG step, and by adding more young talent for next season, the better the chance we have to go all the way next year.

Just think??, we could use our first three picks on some great talent at WR, CB, RG and use the rest of our picks on the best players available, and in 2013 our team could be SO stocked with talent that not having our 2013 first rounder wont phase us, this upcoming draft will be very deep, it would be awesome to have another pick in the first 2 rounds ....and I know this is not Madden ..but for next year I want us to be in the best position possible to develop a DOMINATING TEAM ...

Just an idea ...what do you guys think ??

Personally, I hope we get a Bowe or Vincent Jackson type WR. A Grubbs or Nicks at OG in FA. Along with a 4th WR that can serve as backup returner. (Parrish or Royal) Then just draft defense heavy in the draft. Keep this dominant defense coming for years and years.

You do realize that signing Bowe/VJAX & Grubbs/Nicks would cost anywhere from 16-20 million in next years cap???? If we sign Alex, Rogers and Franchise Goldson to the rumored contracts of 8 Mill a year plus the 6.5 franchise tag that adds up to 22.5....Even at 16 mill + 22.5 were already at 38.5 of the 43 million in cap we'd have if we carried over. We'd barely have enough money to sign Constanzo and Morgan to new deals, let alone any other free agents.....

EDIT: I'm not even including Brooks in that scenario...He'll probably cost 5 or 6 million to retain just in terms of the 2012 cap #.....

For starters, I think they all of ours come cheaper than you think. Smith worth more to us than anybody else. If he were to test the market he'd see that. Rogers may be expensive. Contrary to popular belief Brooks is replaceable. Goldson too IMHO. Definitely not worth a Franchise tag. Costanzo and Morgan definitely not worth much but agree we need to retain them.

I guess I just don't think alot of ours is worth as much as alot of you do. I think our defense had alot to do with scheme than anything. Not saying they're not good, just they're not all irreplaceable. Kind of like the Steelers Defense and how they let guys go that are good in their scheme then do nothing when they leave. If you guys were general manager we'd have alot of over paid players from what I read on here.

Smith, Brooks and Goldson are all worth keeping but at our price. They're not irreplaceable. Rogers on the other hand, the nature of the position suggests he'll be a nice chunk.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonRon:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Hear me out ...I know it could be a gamble, but if we trade our 2013 1st rounder for a 2012 2nd rounder, we could add even more punch to the roster for 2012

Next season we could take a BIG step, and by adding more young talent for next season, the better the chance we have to go all the way next year.

Just think??, we could use our first three picks on some great talent at WR, CB, RG and use the rest of our picks on the best players available, and in 2013 our team could be SO stocked with talent that not having our 2013 first rounder wont phase us, this upcoming draft will be very deep, it would be awesome to have another pick in the first 2 rounds ....and I know this is not Madden ..but for next year I want us to be in the best position possible to develop a DOMINATING TEAM ...

Just an idea ...what do you guys think ??

Personally, I hope we get a Bowe or Vincent Jackson type WR. A Grubbs or Nicks at OG in FA. Along with a 4th WR that can serve as backup returner. (Parrish or Royal) Then just draft defense heavy in the draft. Keep this dominant defense coming for years and years.

I feel the same way,,, we also need a big RB,, Dixon dances too much,,,,, we need a Trent Richardson type.

I don't think we need a big RB. We just need a productive RB. Prefereably one that can handle AT LEAST 15 carries a game and return kicks/punts if need be. Dixon is completely worthless to this team.

EDIT: I say atleast 15 for the simple fact that if something happened to Frank that this 3rd RB and Hunter could share the load. Not that I expect him to get 15 carries every game or any game for that matter if Gore is healthy.
[ Edited by krizay on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM ]
Good post.

Years ago we drafted a "can't miss" WR who absolutely tore it up in college, he was sensational.

JJ Stokes and he sucked as a pro.

We also picked a guy up in later rounds who was flat out a great receiver TO - not a great person but his football skills are undeniable. It's acrap shoot.

I'm a gambler and bet almost 52 weeks a year on something. That's another reason the draft is so exciting - what will we do. We know Baalke/JH are not afraid to move in either direction.

As for me, I'd prefer to trade back for an extra pick or 2. I like McNutt in the later rounds as a guy who has great portrential like Webster from the Steelers.
NO.....Carolina did that for a few years, it was retarded then, it would be retarded now.
I'm usually against it, but this team is so close that it might not be a bad idea
no
Id say no. but so much of the draft hinges on Free agency. For examle If we pick up 2 starting WRs and a Olineman in FA then we dont have a huge.need to trade anything.
Originally posted by rk1642:
NO!

I'd rather trade down this year get an extra 2nd and 3rd or pick up a 1st next year and a 3rd this year.

Alot of very good prospects to be had in the 1st three rounds this year that could help us out.

Plus we very well might get our impact #1 wr in FA!

A FA #1 guy will saw a hole so big in the cap that we would have to give up on re-signing Rogers or Goldson or Alex. I am not willing to do that. Rather take my chances in the draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Nah, more like trade down, imagine if we came away in this draft with Tommy Streeter and Stephen Hill, now that's what I'm talkin about.
Originally posted by dj43:
High risk/high reward.

This team is one top level WR away from the Super Bowl.

25 years ago, Bill Walsh rolled the dice by trading up for a guy he felt would solve the one remaining key need the team had. A lot of "experts" questioned the move. They cited the high risk of picking WRs, the amount of value given up to draft this guy, they cited other needs on the team such as interior line strength, and other issues. However, Walsh went ahead and moved up to draft Jerry Rice anyway.

OK ... he didn't give up a first rounder (late second round). Rice was well known in the NFL but there was a big school mentality much like today (BCS-like mentality - No football really occurs outside of the BCS). Rice had racked up some good numbers but, what does that really mean coming from Mississippi Valley St? Prevailing NFL wisdom was: Take a "chance" on him round 2 or more likely 3.

You also don't mention we moved up to get JJ Stokes (#10th pick - Rice was only #16) and heralded as the second coming of Rice. This also reminds me of Crabtree. Wasn't he supposed to be that to WR for us?
All depends on who is there and if they can find a trading partner. But if the guy they really want is there I wouldn't mind at all.
what i would do is get a deep threat like eddie royal in FA

he will come relativly chaep

then trade up for floyd or jeffery

or stay put and pray sanu falls to us

having
so we have 3 possession WR

rookie/crabtree/morgan

1 slot guy in williams

1 deep threat to keep S back is royal

also we have red zoe targets in VD and maybe jeffery and floyd
Frankly this makes as much sense and trading our 2012 first round for more in 2013.

This kind of move makes sense if you feel our future is now and prospect in upcoming years dim. Trade your future for now.

We have a bright future, no need to make this move and we won't.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Frankly this makes as much sense and trading our 2012 first round for more in 2013.

This kind of move makes sense if you feel our future is now and prospect in upcoming years dim. Trade your future for now.

We have a bright future, no need to make this move and we won't.
we are literally 1 piece away

we were a SB team this year and we are young in every position

the only place where we lack talent is the WR position trading a 2013 pick to trade up is worth it imo

i literally cant think of another position we are old and need a replacement in
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by lamontb:
All depends. I really don't think there is a prospect in this draft worth it.

Would you move up to 15 for Michael Floyd?

He is my target and I would give up a 2013 1st and a 2nd the following year to get him.

I like Floyd but i wouldn't give up a 1st and a 2nd for him. I would have gave that up for Calvin Johnson or AJ green but not Floyd.