There are 230 users in the forums

Senior Bowl 2012 predictions

Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
I've been hearing good things about my boy Doug Martin this week, but I don't have the chance to watch it overseas in Europe. He's my favorite Boise State prospect in the draft this year, just ahead of Potter. I love Kellen Moore, but I'm realistic about his chances in the NFL.

Any insight from people on here that have been paying close attention this week?

Go to The Senior Bowl thread...the other one
Tough to hear that about Dwight Jones. I thought he struggled on Monday, did much better on Tuesday, then struggled again yesterday. I'm sure if he performed well at the combine, he'll still be selected in the 2nd round on potential alone. The guy did real well on a UNC offense that wasn't very good.
Originally posted by hofer36:
where does rainey project position wise in nfl...sproles like scatback, slot receiver, return man, all of the able?
if he is that fast i think the ghost of al davis will select him for the raiders
In practices, they have been putting him everywhere. Out of the backfield, as a WR. To be honest, he looked a LOT better than I thought. He simply blows past people. Teams can put the kid anywhere to create a mismatch. Way faster than Sproles, who is more quick than fast.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
MD do you have any thoughts on Marvin Jones? I didn't expect him to stand out this week but he really has, had a strong day on Monday, average yesterday, but has again been a star today. Just wondering if he's jumped out to you or anything

Honestly, kind of surprised he has stood out for much of the week. Not sure if this is because the WR corp has looked mediocre, or whether he has legit playmaking ability. Hands like glue this week really helped, as I saw a lot of dropped balls. Someone to keep an eye on. Don't think he is a dynamic player, but a reliable number two or three for a team.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Tough to hear that about Dwight Jones. I thought he struggled on Monday, did much better on Tuesday, then struggled again yesterday. I'm sure if he performed well at the combine, he'll still be selected in the 2nd round on potential alone. The guy did real well on a UNC offense that wasn't very good.

Surprising that some of the midget CB's have been bullying him at the LOS. Very odd.
Watching some of the practices yesterday, here is what stood out:
1) Mike Adams had a rough day. As did OSU teammate Mike Brewster. Both are high profile guys that got beat way too much yesterday, especially Brewster. Adams had a tough time keeping up with the quicker edge rushers. Very disappointing.
2) Zach Brown runs like a CB, and as a LB, he should be the first pure 4-3 backer off the board. He is really good.
3) I thought the Michigan DT, Martin, was a load out there. So compact and quick, and really causing fits for the OL.
4) Billy Winn looks completely outclassed this week. Really disappointing. I would put a fifth round grade on him right now, even though he will go higher.
5) Brian Quick can simply fly, once the legs get rolling. He blew past Dennard on a deep pattern, but Wilson's throw was way short, and it ended up looking like a nice CB play. At the next level, he would have had one of the prettiest plays. Later on, in special teams drills, he flew to catch up and "tackle" NC State's WR, Graham, who is also very fast. Quick is going to be a deep route threat in the NFL, and may end up one of the big winners from this week.
6) I wouldn't touch Dennard until the fourth round. Teams will simply throw over the top on him. Bad, bad week.
7) Jenkins and Boykins are glue. In my opinion, the best two cover corners on the field this week. Heyward nice, but not at their level in pure coverage.
8) Brandon Weeden the only QB with a shot at the next level...and he is old. Can't believe how bad this group of QB's are this year, especially compared to last year.

More later.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I've been hearing good things about my boy Doug Martin this week, but I don't have the chance to watch it overseas in Europe. He's my favorite Boise State prospect in the draft this year, just ahead of Potter. I love Kellen Moore, but I'm realistic about his chances in the NFL.

Any insight from people on here that have been paying close attention this week?

read a lot of good things about Martin every where I go, his performance this week so far is putting him in the discussion for #2 RB in the draft, that's the highest praise I've read on him so far this week

and about Moore, yeah, he's now wowing people with his physical skills in practice, but it's hard to argue against his resume, he may just be one of those gamer type players who's only shot in the NFL will be if he gets a Yates-like opportunity

Nice to hear that about Martin. A lot of people talk about Boise States passing game, but Doug Martin and the running game is what makes this team so dangerous. It's not a coincidence that the only game we lost this year was when Martin was unable to play, and our 3rd string RB coughed up eventually the game-killing fumble. Martin is a beast and I'm glad he's showing people what many Boise State fans already knew about the kid. Strong, quick and reminds me a little of Ray Rice, but not as polished with his receiving(though he is capable).

Not surprised to see Moore struggle a bit. Love the kid and what he did for my school, but his small frame and lack of elite arm strength will be his undoing. I can just imagine Willis getting through the line unblocked on a blitz.....

Thanks dude.

Doug Martin has been the Boise State running attack for the past several years. I am a UNR fan, so I've seen him at work. Just a banger with some speed.
North Carolina WR Dwight Jones There's a lot to like about his frame (6-3⅛, 226), hands and ball skills, and Jones' long strides give him deceiving top-end speed. He's tight and stiff, though, and that showed today when he struggled to stay low against press coverage and allowed defenders into his chest. Jones also had a hard time dropping his weight and transitioning out of breaks on underneath routes. He is limited in the route tree, and while he flashed the ability to track the deep ball Jones has trouble adjusting on the move. Given all the issues we've seen today and over the rest of the week, Jones could end up dropping from a second-rounder entering the season all the way out of Day 2.- Kevin Weidl
Originally posted by lamontb:
North Carolina WR Dwight Jones There's a lot to like about his frame (6-3⅛, 226), hands and ball skills, and Jones' long strides give him deceiving top-end speed. He's tight and stiff, though, and that showed today when he struggled to stay low against press coverage and allowed defenders into his chest. Jones also had a hard time dropping his weight and transitioning out of breaks on underneath routes. He is limited in the route tree, and while he flashed the ability to track the deep ball Jones has trouble adjusting on the move. Given all the issues we've seen today and over the rest of the week, Jones could end up dropping from a second-rounder entering the season all the way out of Day 2.- Kevin Weidl

What great value if he were to drop to the 3rd round.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Watching some of the practices yesterday, here is what stood out:
1) Mike Adams had a rough day. As did OSU teammate Mike Brewster. Both are high profile guys that got beat way too much yesterday, especially Brewster. Adams had a tough time keeping up with the quicker edge rushers. Very disappointing.
2) Zach Brown runs like a CB, and as a LB, he should be the first pure 4-3 backer off the board. He is really good.
3) I thought the Michigan DT, Martin, was a load out there. So compact and quick, and really causing fits for the OL.
4) Billy Winn looks completely outclassed this week. Really disappointing. I would put a fifth round grade on him right now, even though he will go higher.
5) Brian Quick can simply fly, once the legs get rolling. He blew past Dennard on a deep pattern, but Wilson's throw was way short, and it ended up looking like a nice CB play. At the next level, he would have had one of the prettiest plays. Later on, in special teams drills, he flew to catch up and "tackle" NC State's WR, Graham, who is also very fast. Quick is going to be a deep route threat in the NFL, and may end up one of the big winners from this week.
6) I wouldn't touch Dennard until the fourth round. Teams will simply throw over the top on him. Bad, bad week.
7) Jenkins and Boykins are glue. In my opinion, the best two cover corners on the field this week. Heyward nice, but not at their level in pure coverage.
8) Brandon Weeden the only QB with a shot at the next level...and he is old. Can't believe how bad this group of QB's are this year, especially compared to last year.

More later.

Thanks for the reviews. I've been reading conflicting things about the WRs, some sites are saying X WR looks good then the next site said they look bad. Marvin Jones is the only one who is consistently getting positive reviews. An example is Quick, some people seem to hate him and others love him.

I also read Cousins looks good, but he is making bad reads and constantly checking down. That pretty much sums up his college career. I thought he had a great arm, accuracy, release, but a lot to be developed in his mental side of the game. Always been a big fan of Wheeden, some of the throws he made in college were down right dirty, pure NFL throws that couldn't be stopped. Watching Wheeden throw to Blackmon was ridiculous.

Interesting that Boykin is playing so well, his height has got to be a concern. (5'9 and a quarter). He also has is a great returnman, but I think he will be a 2nd rounder due to his lack of size (see Brandon Flowers).

Curious on your take on RBs, I've seen some praise for Martin but after that a lot of negatives on the RB group.

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:

What great value if he were to drop to the 3rd round.
Exaclty. Might be a guy that gets a team to trade up in the 3rd round if he's just sitting there.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Thanks for the reviews. I've been reading conflicting things about the WRs, some sites are saying X WR looks good then the next site said they look bad. Marvin Jones is the only one who is consistently getting positive reviews. An example is Quick, some people seem to hate him and others love him.

I also read Cousins looks good, but he is making bad reads and constantly checking down. That pretty much sums up his college career. I thought he had a great arm, accuracy, release, but a lot to be developed in his mental side of the game. Always been a big fan of Wheeden, some of the throws he made in college were down right dirty, pure NFL throws that couldn't be stopped. Watching Wheeden throw to Blackmon was ridiculous.

Interesting that Boykin is playing so well, his height has got to be a concern. (5'9 and a quarter). He also has is a great returnman, but I think he will be a 2nd rounder due to his lack of size (see Brandon Flowers).

Curious on your take on RBs, I've seen some praise for Martin but after that a lot of negatives on the RB group.

The talk at RB is all about Martin. He looks the part. Compact, muscular, really quick and smooth. Has a good burst. Polk has been quite a disappointment this week.

These midget sized CB's are tough, but being short and having short arms could be a problem at the next level. That is why I am very excited to see what Josh Norman can do, even though he will not be a part of the big drills that happened earlier this week.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

The talk at RB is all about Martin. He looks the part. Compact, muscular, really quick and smooth. Has a good burst. Polk has been quite a disappointment this week.

These midget sized CB's are tough, but being short and having short arms could be a problem at the next level. That is why I am very excited to see what Josh Norman can do, even though he will not be a part of the big drills that happened earlier this week.

doug martin is from stockton, as is trumaine johnson---both would probably love to go to the 49ers...also, the samoan guard from midwestern state is from tracy
The guy getting great reviews is Juron Criner. Everything I read consistently praises him. A few weeks back Russ Lande mocked him to us in the 1st. Looked insane back then. Now maybe a little less insane
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
The guy getting great reviews is Juron Criner. Everything I read consistently praises him. A few weeks back Russ Lande mocked him to us in the 1st. Looked insane back then. Now maybe a little less insane

I would really be surprised if Criner cracks the top 100. He has played fairly well this week, but there are a lot of issues to overcome: health concerns, speed limitations. I jjust don't see him being a guy generating much interest until the 4th round.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone