LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Senior Bowl 2012 predictions

Maybe Wright too, to replace Ted Ginn .
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Quick is receiving mixed reviews so far by those following the practices. Wednesday's practice is the most important of the week, so he needs to show up big time. He is a raw project, not a guy who is ready right away to play big minutes. I see him as a third rounder.

How much does Tolzien help the scouting report? Should at least provide character info.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
How much does Tolzien help the scouting report? Should at least provide character info.

Are you thinking of Nick Toon? He is the Wisconsin WR in this draft.
Brian Quick, according to most accounts, had a better Tuesday, and is starting to receive some positive attention from scouts, according to the National Football Post. One said he was the standout of the North WR's.

Still waiting to see Ladarius Green break out, but I saw some really positive things from him yesterday. In the scrimmage, he was a willing blocker, and took on Courtney Upshaw in a matchup and faired well. Beat everyone in passing drills pretty easily, except for UNC's Brown.
Here is what I saw from the Tuesday practice: The best two pass rushers for the week are Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram. Upshaw can go around, or through OT's, and has really heavy hands. He was virtually unstoppable, and will end up being a top-20 pick if he runs decently at the combine. Melvin Ingram is also a solid rusher, though not at Upshaw's level, and is also a bit shorter. Both guys are shorter than what teams like in edge rushers, but they are so compact and quick that they give the longer limbed OT a real problem. I'd take Upshaw in a minute, but would hesitate with Ingram. Short, short arms.

The best DB's appear to be on the South squad, but they are all pretty short, in that 5'10" range. I thought the best was Boykins of Georgia, who is like glue to receivers. His short area times in the cone drill at the combine will be stunning.

More later.
Are you thinking of Nick Toon? He is the Wisconsin WR in this draft.

Duh, I forgot to state Nick Toon in the original post. I was watching highlights and saw Tolzien was making the majority of passes to him.
Read some notes on the past Senior Bowl practices and it looks like three of my favorite prospects are performing well: Dwight Jones, Casey Hayward, and Alfonzo Dennard.

Some draft blogs say that Dwight Jones will be a stud receiver in the NFL. I see a poor man's Andre Johnson.

Casey Hayward has shown that he's more than just a zone defender. He's playing receivers physical at the line of scrimmage and really disrupting routes. He's also shown good leadership during the practices. From what I've read, he was shutting down Dwight Jones, then talked to him on the sidelines to boost his confidence.

Alfonzo Dennard has also shown to be competitive off the line of scrimmage, playing receivers very physical and sticking to their hips. Unfortunately, he tends to get stiff and ends up getting beat by quicker receivers. I still think he's a top 25 pick for sure.

Other notable performers: Alameda Ta'amu, who has shown pretty good quickness for someone being that big. Marvin Jones, showing great quickness and speed, and McNutt, who is basically catching EVERYTHING thrown his way.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Duh, I forgot to state Nick Toon in the original post. I was watching highlights and saw Tolzien was making the majority of passes to him.

Tolzien would be a great reference for Toon, who from all accounts is a really nice kid and terrific college receiver. I am not as high on him as many others, as I thought Abbrederis was the best receiver on the Wisconsin team last year.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Read some notes on the past Senior Bowl practices and it looks like three of my favorite prospects are performing well: Dwight Jones, Casey Hayward, and Alfonzo Dennard.

Some draft blogs say that Dwight Jones will be a stud receiver in the NFL. I see a poor man's Andre Johnson.

Casey Hayward has shown that he's more than just a zone defender. He's playing receivers physical at the line of scrimmage and really disrupting routes. He's also shown good leadership during the practices. From what I've read, he was shutting down Dwight Jones, then talked to him on the sidelines to boost his confidence.

Alfonzo Dennard has also shown to be competitive off the line of scrimmage, playing receivers very physical and sticking to their hips. Unfortunately, he tends to get stiff and ends up getting beat by quicker receivers. I still think he's a top 25 pick for sure.

Other notable performers: Alameda Ta'amu, who has shown pretty good quickness for someone being that big. Marvin Jones, showing great quickness and speed, and McNutt, who is basically catching EVERYTHING thrown his way.

The insanity of following the Senior Bowl reports is trying to sort out the truth from mixed reports on players. Some have said D. Jones has struggled, while others think he has performed well. Same thing for Dennard, who I thought looked terrible on Monday, but has rebounded well. Ta'amu has had mixed results, with most saying he is a solid two-down NT. Marvin Jones started out hot, but not much talk since Monday.

From what I saw, Heyward was the best of the 5'11" and taller CB's. He stuck well with his receivers, and looked comfortable. He doesn't look as natural as a Janoris, Boykin, or Dennard, but gets the job done. These shorter CB's are so smooth in their transition. Good crop of smaller CB's this year. That being said, I think many in the league have moved Josh Norman into the second round. Any guy who is 6'+ and can cover well will get a ton of attention.
Markelle Martin and Antonio Allen has looked great in drills, in my opinion, and may be the two best safeties in the game. Allen did take one bad angle on a running play, but other than that goof, has looked like a guy who can come up and hit some people. Martin is smooth in coverage. He was the only one I saw who could cover L. Green from the safety position.

The best 4-3 linebacker in the game is Zach Brown. The dude covers like a CB, runs like the wind, and is effortless. To me, he is the first 4-3 backer off the board.

I was not as enthusiastic about Coples as many analysts. He is a great athlete, and has unlimited upside. I just didn't see him beat his opponent in drills like I expected. To me, Jaye Howard of Florida, looked like a better pass rusher from the inside. Coples looks much more comfortable on the outside. I am wondering if he should continue to stay at DE, since he is 280 pounds, and not try to stack on any more weight to move inside. I have always listed him as a 4-3 DE, and that should be his home, on the strong side.

As for centers, Ben Jones has not fared as well as I expected. He looks more like a waist bender than knee bender, and was off balance way too often in drills. On the flip side, Cordy Glenn, who was beaten early, flat out stuffs people at guard, and runs well enough to block in the second level. He was super effective at squaring up on linebackers, and driving them out of plays. Better than Brandon Brooks, the star of last week, in second level blocking. Nobody is getting close to the QB when Mike Adams is blocking. First rounder for sure. The only question is whether he cracks the top 20 picks.

Chris Rainey is crazy fast. I thought Joe Adams might be the fastest guy on the field, but it is not close. Rainey will be the fastest guy at the combine, and I will stack a big pile of money on it. Somebody is going to lay down a second rounder on this kid on his speed and versatility alone. Yikes!!!

So, mini-conclusion, guys who are blowing up this week:
* Chris Rainey
* Courtney Upshaw
* Mike Adams
* Cordy Glenn
* Zach Brown

Originally posted by SF69ers:

The insanity of following the Senior Bowl reports is trying to sort out the truth from mixed reports on players. Some have said D. Jones has struggled, while others think he has performed well. Same thing for Dennard, who I thought looked terrible on Monday, but has rebounded well. Ta'amu has had mixed results, with most saying he is a solid two-down NT. Marvin Jones started out hot, but not much talk since Monday.

From what I saw, Heyward was the best of the 5'11" and taller CB's. He stuck well with his receivers, and looked comfortable. He doesn't look as natural as a Janoris, Boykin, or Dennard, but gets the job done. These shorter CB's are so smooth in their transition. Good crop of smaller CB's this year. That being said, I think many in the league have moved Josh Norman into the second round. Any guy who is 6'+ and can cover well will get a ton of attention.

Yes, we go through all these mixed notes every season, and I sorta enjoy it. I like to read up on all the different opinions then watch the practice highlights to match. Dwight Jones did start out slow on Monday, but the reason could be due to the rough weather and sloppy field. He's beginning to make some plays in practice. Jeff Fuller is someone I'm a bit disappointed in. Looks mighty inconsistent in practice.

As far as Ta'amu is concerned, it's a surprise to see someone at 340 lbs getting off the ball quick and even getting pressure on the QB. You'd figure maybe he'd just be a run stuffer, but he could progress to being very much like Raji or Wilfork with the right coaching.

I stand by my thoughts in drafting Hayward in the 2nd round. With his performance so far this week, his stock may be rising and we might not have the opportunity to select him. I like Janoris a lot as well, but he's a top 25 pick and we won't have the chance to take him. The guy looks like a playmaker in the pros.
Markelle Martin and Antonio Allen has looked great in drills, in my opinion, and may be the two best safeties in the game. Allen did take one bad angle on a running play, but other than that goof, has looked like a guy who can come up and hit some people. Martin is smooth in coverage. He was the only one I saw who could cover L. Green from the safety position.

The best 4-3 linebacker in the game is Zach Brown. The dude covers like a CB, runs like the wind, and is effortless. To me, he is the first 4-3 backer off the board.

I was not as enthusiastic about Coples as many analysts. He is a great athlete, and has unlimited upside. I just didn't see him beat his opponent in drills like I expected. To me, Jaye Howard of Florida, looked like a better pass rusher from the inside. Coples looks much more comfortable on the outside. I am wondering if he should continue to stay at DE, since he is 280 pounds, and not try to stack on any more weight to move inside. I have always listed him as a 4-3 DE, and that should be his home, on the strong side.

As for centers, Ben Jones has not fared as well as I expected. He looks more like a waist bender than knee bender, and was off balance way too often in drills. On the flip side, Cordy Glenn, who was beaten early, flat out stuffs people at guard, and runs well enough to block in the second level. He was super effective at squaring up on linebackers, and driving them out of plays. Better than Brandon Brooks, the star of last week, in second level blocking. Nobody is getting close to the QB when Mike Adams is blocking. First rounder for sure. The only question is whether he cracks the top 20 picks.

Chris Rainey is crazy fast. I thought Joe Adams might be the fastest guy on the field, but it is not close. Rainey will be the fastest guy at the combine, and I will stack a big pile of money on it. Somebody is going to lay down a second rounder on this kid on his speed and versatility alone. Yikes!!!

* Chris Rainey
* Courtney Upshaw
* Mike Adams
* Cordy Glenn
* Zach Brown

where does rainey project position wise in nfl...sproles like scatback, slot receiver, return man, all of the able?
if he is that fast i think the ghost of al davis will select him for the raiders
MD do you have any thoughts on Marvin Jones? I didn't expect him to stand out this week but he really has, had a strong day on Monday, average yesterday, but has again been a star today. Just wondering if he's jumped out to you or anything
Originally posted by hofer36:

* Chris Rainey
* Courtney Upshaw
* Mike Adams
* Cordy Glenn
* Zach Brown

where does rainey project position wise in nfl...sproles like scatback, slot receiver, return man, all of the able?
if he is that fast i think the ghost of al davis will select him for the raiders

Rainey is a KR/ST guy. Might be used sparingly as a package player for specific plays.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by hofer36:

* Chris Rainey
* Courtney Upshaw
* Mike Adams
* Cordy Glenn
* Zach Brown

Rainey is a KR/ST guy. Might be used sparingly as a package player for specific plays.

so would he be the Sproles-like prospect of this draft? At least from the senior class, I know LMJ is getting that tag too
Share 49ersWebzone