There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Senior Bowl 2012 predictions

I can't wait to see Dwight Jones in action, dude is my favorite WR this year, next will be Kendall Wright
I like that North Carolina St. WR T.J. Graham came in just under 6'0". I think he's an underrated speedster/punt teamer who should flash playmaking skills in practices/the game.
Originally posted by Born49R:
MadDog, thanks for the link. A quick question about Dwight Jones. Really small hands for a 6'3" receiver. Does that scare you as much as it does me?
I haven't watched him enough to get a feel if he is a natural pass catcher, ie. uses his hands correctly.

The number is odd for a tall receiver. Something to really watch. I think his hands are pretty reliable, so I want to get a closer look this week to see if this a major concern.
Unless I am missing something, only one CB came in at 6' flat or higher, Donnie Fletcher of Boston College. Almost every CB is in the 5'9 1/2 to 5'11" range. The Niners usually tend to draft or target guys in the 6' range.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,082
Senior Bowl practices are on NFL Network right now.
Great work as always, MD... Enjoyed your take on the wideouts. Can you see a scenario in which the Niners might take Quick in the first round?

Just one other thing... If by chance, Polk falls in the draft, the Niners should grab him in the second round. I live in WA state now and so I've seen this kid play quite a bit on TV up here. He won several games virtually by himself in the past couple of years. Great vision and superb running skills. To put it frankly, he is a complete stud and an every down back that would actually fill Frank's shoes (eventually) very well.
maddog, a few areas i'd like to hear your opinions on (please other draftniks, also weigh in)....

1--how do you see niners approaching this offseason, will they focus more on on trying to upgrade weak areas (wide receiver obviously, interior oline, more def backfield help/depth, another olb), or adding upon strengths (more depth dline, an every down running back, another tight end)...to me the first impression answer is shore up weaknesses, but if a guy like terry richardson fell in the draft, as rbs sometimes do, he would be hard to pass up for a team that is based on a power running scheme..same deal if a guy like michael brockers fell to pick 30

2. kawakami floats an opinion that niners could explore trading kaepernick for moving up in the draft...presumably they then might go after a vet backup, who if smith is the niners guy, would probably be more ready to step in if needed--could you see this happening?

3.in looking at the type of players who fit niners system, on the oline do they want guy who are experienced in zone blocking scheme, or a man up scheme.... 1 or 2 gap dlineman...press corners or off corners

4. opinions on a few intriguing players....could a melvin ingram replace an ahmad brooks at olb if he left in free agency...which wr would benefit niners more, akendall wright with his speed and quickness to get seperation, or michale floyd, who would probably get more contested catches, but has the size to outfight defenders for the ball
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,082
Nice job, Mad. Should be another great draft season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,082
Heads up: Senior Bowl practice coverage coming up at 8am PST on NFLN.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,336
Originally posted by mayo49:
Heads up: Senior Bowl practice coverage coming up at 8am PST on NFLN.

So far Donnie Fletcher looking good one-on-one, Dennard showed good man coverage vs. TJ Graham, stayed with him the whole time.
Originally posted by hofer36:
maddog, a few areas i'd like to hear your opinions on (please other draftniks, also weigh in)....

1--how do you see niners approaching this offseason, will they focus more on on trying to upgrade weak areas (wide receiver obviously, interior oline, more def backfield help/depth, another olb), or adding upon strengths (more depth dline, an every down running back, another tight end)...to me the first impression answer is shore up weaknesses, but if a guy like terry richardson fell in the draft, as rbs sometimes do, he would be hard to pass up for a team that is based on a power running scheme..same deal if a guy like michael brockers fell to pick 30

2. kawakami floats an opinion that niners could explore trading kaepernick for moving up in the draft...presumably they then might go after a vet backup, who if smith is the niners guy, would probably be more ready to step in if needed--could you see this happening?

3.in looking at the type of players who fit niners system, on the oline do they want guy who are experienced in zone blocking scheme, or a man up scheme.... 1 or 2 gap dlineman...press corners or off corners

4. opinions on a few intriguing players....could a melvin ingram replace an ahmad brooks at olb if he left in free agency...which wr would benefit niners more, akendall wright with his speed and quickness to get seperation, or michale floyd, who would probably get more contested catches, but has the size to outfight defenders for the ball

1. The Niners will probably have to plug some holes with their draftees. That is why I believe the team will end up drafting a CB in the first round, because I see Rogers walking for a big final contract. I don't see Richardson, nor Brockers, on the board after the 15th pick.

2. I doubt the team deals CK, unless they really think he is a marginal prospect. I think they let him ride out 2012, see if he develops, and then make a decision in 2013 if he has a future in this league. On draft day, I stated that he is at least two years away from playing, and I graded him as third round value and the sixth best QB in the draft. It simply was not a good choice, especially with Dalton selected one spot before him. They targeted the wrong guy.

3. In OL, I think they want versatile, athletic OL. But more importantly, I think Harbaugh wants smart guys. The team tends to favor larger corners, who are not afraid to tackle. Not a good crop of guys 6' or taller, so a player like Josh Norman may be their guy in the second, if they go a different direction in the first round, and he is on the board.

4. I don't see the team picking up Ingram because of his height. I think the team, especially running the 3-4 scheme, wants taller edge rushers with longer limbs, like Aldon Smith. A player like Virginia's Cam Johnson, at 6'4", with freakishly long arms is someone the team will take a long look at. As for WR, the player has to be a solid blocker. And committed to blocking. I would be surprised if the team went WR in the first two rounds. Look for them to bring back Morgan at a bargain number and target another mid-level WR to shore up the WR corp. The Niners are a TE-heavy team, so WR's are not as big of a necessity.
If you look at how bad our WR's have been its hard to imagine them not at least taking one on or before the 3rd round and at least bringing in one in Fa's. Period point blank if you have no threats at Wr your offense is at a disadvantage.
Won't watch, lol
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Great work as always, MD... Enjoyed your take on the wideouts. Can you see a scenario in which the Niners might take Quick in the first round?

Just one other thing... If by chance, Polk falls in the draft, the Niners should grab him in the second round. I live in WA state now and so I've seen this kid play quite a bit on TV up here. He won several games virtually by himself in the past couple of years. Great vision and superb running skills. To put it frankly, he is a complete stud and an every down back that would actually fill Frank's shoes (eventually) very well.

Quick is receiving mixed reviews so far by those following the practices. Wednesday's practice is the most important of the week, so he needs to show up big time. He is a raw project, not a guy who is ready right away to play big minutes. I see him as a third rounder.
We dont have the luxury to draft Quick as a project 3rd round WR. Other guys should be able to play right out of the draft from the 3rd round.Give me Tommy Streeter, Dwight Jones, or Sanu. 3rd -1st options.