There are 155 users in the forums

WE NEED PLAYMAKERS!

Yes, but we don't need to be reaching for LMJ
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Obviously we need better WRs.

I think we have a good TE combo with Walker and Davis (although Walker could be upgraded over in the hands department.. we'll look at that next year possibly).

If we can find a Sproles-like back later in the draft, I'm sure we'll consider it.

Orson Charles is a Vernon Davis-clone physically. Doesn't have the straight-line speed, but he's someone to keep an eye on. Probably get taken in the 2nd round though.
The saints can't afford to keep all their UFA. Brees, Colston, Meachum, Nicks....I think one of those Recievers will be gone for sure. It is thought Carl Nicks will sign elsewhere as well. Word is, they keep Colston and Brees.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Orson Charles is a Vernon Davis-clone physically. Doesn't have the straight-line speed, but he's someone to keep an eye on. Probably get taken in the 2nd round though.
He is 6-3 tall, too small for a TE, imo. I prefer another "speedster" at TE, who is tall as well, like Green or Egnew.
Originally posted by communist:
He is 6-3 tall, too small for a TE, imo. I prefer another "speedster" at TE, who is tall as well, like Green or Egnew.

Isn't Vernon 6'3"? And Delanie is even shorter, and they seem to be working pretty well.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Isn't Vernon 6'3"? And Delanie is even shorter, and they seem to be working pretty well.

I think they are
I definitely think Harbaugh with look for another TE early and resign Morgan. We're thin at WR and a run-first team. Having 2 TEs that can block in run game and cause problems in the secondary is a huge advantage schematically and is right up Harbaugh's alley.

NE's Gronk/Hernandez duo is what I envision Harbaugh utilizing. It's far cheaper and easier to field than dynamic WRs. Plus, with Delanie hitting FA, we need to upgrade the position's depth. I expect him to either draft an athletic TE or a big WR and convert him to TE (similar to Delanie).
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Miller from Miami will be worth a first if he actually has that elite speed. The 49ers coaching staff is very creative with their running game. We've seen some creative runs(Gore vs. Saints, Gore vs. Lions) that would have gone for touchdowns if Gore was faster. A back with elite speed and the size to run inside makes the 49ers an even scarier running team. Gore is coming to the end of the line, picking his future replacement wouldn't be a bad idea.

Another idea I like is moving Delanie Walker from tight end/wide receiver to tight end/wide receiver/full back/running back. He is already the 49ers most versatile offensive player and I hope Harbaugh continues to add to his versatility. Walker isn't blazing fast, but he is very fast and agile for his height/weight. He's a solid 240-250 pounds and isn't afraid of contact. I believe he could be the occasional powerback the 49ers have been looking for. If he has lead blocking ability, he brings another dimension to the 49ers offense. If they did this, they would be able to release Anthony Dixon(love his character but he isn't a power runner) and replace him with a tall tight end like Coby Fleener(second round). The 49ers could go from a run heavy two tight end I formation(TE: Davis and Fleener, FB: Walker, HB: Hunter, WR: anyone) to a 5 wide formation with the same personnel grouping on the field. Delanie Walker could potentially make 90% of the 49ers formations available in one personnel grouping... that's scary.
Delanie isnt a free agent.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Delanie isnt a free agent.

Which is why OTC says we'll look into it next year :D

I'm predicting we add another TE through the draft or promote Reuland to the active roster this season. 4 TEs and 6 WRs sound very possible going into next season.

i say we pick up fleener in the 2nd. He has a lot of play making ability!!

LOL that's why I said that he was a "Vernon Davis-clone physically"

But like Ghost said, we've had pretty good success with Delanie and Vernon and both aren't taller than 6'4''. Sure, it would be nice to have a TE like Fleener, but it just isn't gonna happen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think we have enough of a change of pace back in our offense in Kendall Hunter, he just needs the right plays called for him. For instance when a screen play is called with his number he explodes out of it. And I've been screaming for him to get that play for the last few games now, last time he didn't was in Arizona and gained I think 22 yards off that play. My point is we don't need to go out of our way and get a LaMichael James or a top flight TE, we will let the draft come to us, my reasons is because I think Harbaugh would like to add more of his guys for depth, no doubt though free agency could dictate the draft. But not so much where we gotta go out and get another RB or TE. I believe we need more complements to what we already have on the roster rather than some big name draft pick that your expecting to come right in and blow this thing up. Don't forget we manage a 13-3 season without OTA's and Mini-camps, I think what this offense needs is more time.
I like Colston but he's slow as dust. We need one guy with some actual speed, and size. But I'd take Colston and I don't think you have to break the bank for him. a fair market deal should get him signed.

and when did 6'3 become small for tight ends?
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I like Colston but he's slow as dust. We need one guy with some actual speed, and size. But I'd take Colston and I don't think you have to break the bank for him. a fair market deal should get him signed.

and when did 6'3 become small for tight ends?

damn that slow as dust guy can sure get himself open time and time again though, he sure showed it last week
Share 49ersWebzone