There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WE NEED PLAYMAKERS!

In reading everyone's analysis of how we should draft, the WR position has become a glaring need. To the point that practice squad WR Joe Hastings might suit up for the NCF Chapionship. Obviously we will draft a WR at some point, however compared to other great offenses we truly lack playmakers. Regardless of position. The Saints had a better WR core but Graham and Sproles really gave the league trouble. The Pats have Welker but also, Gronkowski and Hernandez.

That being said, looking at our offense lacking playmakers rather then just short on WR's, a couple things come to mind. If we go for the best WR in the 1st and the top 5 are gone (Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, Sanu, Jeffery) what do we do? The obvious choice would be draft a CB, OG, or DL. Here are a couple other possiblities.

Draft LeMichael James RB, Oregon....As we get closer to the draft, the Darren Sproles comparisons are going to flood in. If Harbaugh agrees this could happen.

Draft Dwayne Allen TE, Clemson....The drafts top TE is slated anywhere from mid first-early second. At 6'4'' 255 4.5 40 with hands he could be used with Vernon interchangably and together. Our offense would become a matchup nightmare.

I'm not convinced the WR's available at the end of the 1st will be any better then the guys in round 3. It's not a top heavy WR class but its pretty deep.

Is this crazy? Just a thought based on watching playoff football
Lamar Miller >>>>> LaMichael James
Yah because without them, we've sucked this year.

So, IDK that there's room for Lamichael in our offense. Hunters been pretty outstanding in that role. I do agree I'd like to see McNutt, Jones just as much as Alshon.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Lamar Miller >>>>> LaMichael James

1st round Miller, 3rd round for James.
Miller will be gone by the time we pick
I agree -- I suspect we are going to go heavy this draft with WR (with size) and other playmakers. A complete year of evaluation for the new staff. This would be ideal timing to set the offensive talent -- basic scheme installed, can plug in some upgrade during the offseason and take the offense to the next level.

Depending on BPA, we might backfill DL and CB. FA is going to dictate our draft this year - we will need to plug holes if we lose key talent. But more importantly, if they can FILL holes -- WR, G -- then our draft will suddenly be able to go straight BPA -- in which case we'll see more RB, DL, CB drafting.
I have a feeling we'll bring in a top WR in Free Agency.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

i have a feeling braylon will want to come back.
Originally posted by davidboutte:
In reading everyone's analysis of how we should draft, the WR position has become a glaring need. To the point that practice squad WR Joe Hastings might suit up for the NCF Chapionship. Obviously we will draft a WR at some point, however compared to other great offenses we truly lack playmakers. Regardless of position. The Saints had a better WR core but Graham and Sproles really gave the league trouble. The Pats have Welker but also, Gronkowski and Hernandez.

That being said, looking at our offense lacking playmakers rather then just short on WR's, a couple things come to mind. If we go for the best WR in the 1st and the top 5 are gone (Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, Sanu, Jeffery) what do we do? The obvious choice would be draft a CB, OG, or DL. Here are a couple other possiblities.

Draft LeMichael James RB, Oregon....As we get closer to the draft, the Darren Sproles comparisons are going to flood in. If Harbaugh agrees this could happen.

Draft Dwayne Allen TE, Clemson....The drafts top TE is slated anywhere from mid first-early second. At 6'4'' 255 4.5 40 with hands he could be used with Vernon interchangably and together. Our offense would become a matchup nightmare.

I'm not convinced the WR's available at the end of the 1st will be any better then the guys in round 3. It's not a top heavy WR class but its pretty deep.

Obviously we need better WRs.

I think we have a good TE combo with Walker and Davis (although Walker could be upgraded over in the hands department.. we'll look at that next year possibly).

If we can find a Sproles-like back later in the draft, I'm sure we'll consider it.

I agree and its a great FA WR class. Bowe, Colston, Meachum, Jackson are just a few that could change teams
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by davidboutte:

Obviously we need better WRs.

I think we have a good TE combo with Walker and Davis (although Walker could be upgraded over in the hands department.. we'll look at that next year possibly).

If we can find a Sproles-like back later in the draft, I'm sure we'll consider it.

I think Hunter is a later round Sproles type back

Originally posted by valrod33:

Wouldn't be mad long as we don't break da bank for him.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Wouldn't be mad long as we don't break da bank for him.
Colston, Crabtree, Morgan/Williams, VD, Walker