FS- Dashon Goldson 1 yr Franchise tag
OLB- Ahmad Brooks 5 yrs
MLB- Blake Costanzo 4 yrs
MLB- Tavares Gooden 2 yrs
MLB- Larry Grant (RFA)
SS- CJ Spillman (RFA)
WR- Josh Morgan 3 yrs
WR- Ted Ginn 2 yrs
FS- Reggie Smith 1 yr (camp competetion)
FS- Madieu Williams 1 yr (camp competion)
TE- Justin Peele 1 yr (camp competition)

Players to extend: (2012 UFA's)

NT- Issac Sopoago
NT- Ricky Jean Francois
P- Andy Lee
TE- Delanie Walker
Losses:

OG- Adam Snyder
OG- Chilo Rachal

FA signings:

OG- Ben Grubbs (Baltimore) 7 yrs
WR- Robert Meachem (New Orleans) 5 yrs

Draft:

1- Jared Crick, DE- Nebraska 6'6, 285
Peter Konz, Kendall Wright, Nick Perry and Melvin Ingram are all off the board. A key to us having such a great defense is the fact that we can rush 4 and drop 7 into coverage and still get pressure, If Smith or McDonald goes down we are in trouble. Regardless, Crick would be a great addition to our D-Line rotation and would allow our starters to stay fresh later on in the game. He is a top 15 talent who falls to us because of an injury. We get a JJ Watt/Justin Smith clone with a pick at the end of round 1. Great value.

2- Bruce Irvin, OLB- West Virginia 6'3, 245

Irvin is a flat out monster rushing off the edge but he is a bit under-sized. Im not sure there is a player who has his speed off the edge though. Much like Aldon was this year, Irvin would be brought in on passing downs to wreak havok.Im not sure how an offense would block Aldon, Willis, Bowman and Irvin/Brooks at LB and Cowboy, Ray Mac and Crick on the D-line. Good luck QB's.

3- Casey Hayward, CB- Vanderbilt 5'11, 188

Good tackler, good coverman but better ball skills. than any CB in the draft IMO. If he was a bit bigger, he would be top 15. But, as it stands, he can flat out play and he would be hard to pass on here if available. You can never have enough pass rushers and corners in today's NFL. Our defense goes to the next level with this draft class.

4- Stephen Hill, WR- Georgia Tech 6'5, 206

Big, fast, good hands and a good blocker. What more could we ask for? He is a flat out playmaker and lead CFB with 29.3 yards per catch.

5- Joseph Fauria, TE- UCLA 6'8, 252

Yes, that is right. This kid is 6'8. Imagine covering this kid in the redzone. He could offer another potential mis-match to a unit that already features Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham and Justin Peele. Fauria is extremly raw as a pass catcher and has basketball moves, much like Jimmy Graham. He had 481 yards on 39 ctaches with 6 TD's as a junior.

6- DeVier Posey, WR- Ohio State 6'2, 210

Big play receiver who was suspended for 5 games for getting over-paid 728 dollars in a summer job. His junior season he had 848 yards with 7 TD's averaging 16 yards a catch and his soph season he had 828 yards with 8 TD's averaging almost 14 yards per catch. This kid could be a steal.

7- Rokevious Watkins, OG- South Carolina 6'4, 320

Big bodied offensive lineman who would offer depth if he makes the team.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM ]
Really Like it! I think that if we pass on a WR or CB in the 1st round, DE is a perfect fit since Justin is getting to the age that injuries become frequent. Who better to learn from for Crick that J. Smith!! I like your 3rd and 4th round picks...but I would love to see us grab a TE like Fleener in the 2nd, if he's there of course.
I would love to get Crick in this draft.

With Justin Smith in his early 30s, the team needs to begin grooming a replacement and that D-line has really been worked this season. Both J Smith and R McDonald have played a lot of snaps. Adding a really good quality prospect to that rotation would lengthen the careers of the aforementioned guys and with Ian Williams Dobbs, and RJF getting a year of experience, they should be able be able to contribute more next year...and help keep Soap fresh as well.

Don't know too much about Irvin but the team is in dire need of some OLB depth. The Niners have been very fortunate that they haven't had injuries at that position and it makes me feel that they are going to push hard to re-sign Brooks this off-season. Losing him would hurt. Even if they retain him, they still have some work to do to improve the depth. If he does walk, I also wonder if the Niners might be considering moving Grant to OLB and having him compete for a starting gig.

Of course, the team is also hurting for wideouts in a big way....especially now with Ginn hurt, Morgan on IR, and Edwards at home. Hill would be a nice addition in the fourth if he is still there. We'll see... Regardless, the team is going to need at least 2 big additions to that corps in the offseason, preferably two guys who can get some separation....by hook or by crook...

Keep those mocks coming!

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Good picks, why didnt you toss in some 5 - 7 picks???

Everyone bagged on me for putting Crick in the first on my first mock but its true, if Jeffery/Wright or Minnifield aren't on the board I want the best DL available or we try and trade back.

I can't hate when you have the idea of selecting both Irvin and Hayward either. Hayward is flat out the guy I want us to pick no matter what. I'm a little scared he'll sneak into the second or extremely early 3rd so I think if we want him he'll have to be the #2 pick :/

I'm warming up to Hill and with the way your mock shakes out it would probably be Stephen Hill or Brian Quick with our 4th pick :D something I would love.
1.round: Ok, if and only if no other reasonable options are available.
2.round: nice value and could be a need-filler when Brooks doesnt sign a new contract.
3.round: Heyward could be there with our 4th-rounder.
4.round: As for now, Stephen Hill should be gone here, could go in the 3rd-round.

Change the last two picks with each other and I will like it ;)
The Niners need more help on offense. The first two picks being defense cuts against that. Crick may not play much next year, let alone start. Replacing Justin Smith for more than a few plays a game is a waste. Having a first string backup is too much of a luxury at this point. Same goes for Irvin. Who sits to let him play? Unless the Niners have already used FA to add at least one starter to the OL and WRs, then I pass on defensive players in the first three rounds.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The Niners need more help on offense. The first two picks being defense cuts against that. Crick may not play much next year, let alone start. Replacing Justin Smith for more than a few plays a game is a waste. Having a first string backup is too much of a luxury at this point. Same goes for Irvin. Who sits to let him play? Unless the Niners have already used FA to add at least one starter to the OL and WRs, then I pass on defensive players in the first three rounds.
You have to go after BPA in general, if Crick is a clear BPA, get him. I dont want Baalke to reach for a WR, this class is deep enough. Furthermore, the TO argued that Crick will be picked if certain players are off the board. And he is right about the issue that if RayMac and/or Justin go down, we will have a huge problem. Last but not least, Crick could give our 1st-teamers some rest during the game.

You know that there is nothing behind Aldon and Brooks? Oh, Haralson, how could I forget about him. Even if we keep Brooks, another OLB is needed, we have only three of them right now, need 4 imo.
Though I have to admit that an OG would be better at this juncture IF someone is available who is NOT a reach here.

It is whether a realistic nor a good strategy to fill needs over BPA at any cost in the first rounds. Who would draft a mid2nd-rounder at the end of the 1st IF you can get a clear 1st-rounder who can fill a future need...
  • sfout
  • Veteran

More than likely Brooks is the leading candidate to follow the money so we will probably be drafting his replacement. I am confident we could retain every significant player: Alex, Morgan, Snyder, Rogers, Goldson and Brooks. Especially because Goldson will franchised, but with an estimated $45 Million in cap room that's roughly $30 or 35 million for all 7 players including the franchise tag for Goldson($6.2 Million). Leaving us with us with $10 or 15 million to divy up between nothing but back ups and special teamers, most of our back ups will be playing for $1mill a year or less, except for Grant and should we make a play to keep him he'll probably require a base salary from anywhere of $1.5 - 2.5 million.

In an ideal world everyone of the impact guys will be back but it probably won't happen and the 2 most likely players to be on their way out is Brooks and Goldson(if we don't franchise him).
Bra-fkin-Vo

Crick, Irvin, and Hill. I'd love it if we snagged those 3.
This team is severely thin at d line and OLB so those positions being addressed are critical. this team will have to dip into free agency to sure up some of these issues. Can't solve all your problems in the draft.

Originally posted by lamontb:
This team is severely thin at d line and OLB so those positions being addressed are critical. this team will have to dip into free agency to sure up some of these issues. Can't solve all your problems in the draft.

Certainly WR is the thinnest position. Offense is several steps behind the defense regarding production. Concentrate there first IMO.
Certainly WR is the thinnest position. Offense is several steps behind the defense regarding production. Concentrate there first IMO.

How many times does a rookie WR come in and make an impact? There are two, maybe three receivers in this draft who would start for us and be better than what we have (Floyd, Blackmon, Wright) and they will all be gone by the time we pick. A move up to get one of these guys would not be out of the question but our offense doesn't revolve around receivers. It revolves around our TE's and run game.

Defensive players can come in right away and make an impact while offensive guys always take longer to be incorporated into the offense full time.

I would rather us sign a 2nd tier WR such as Manningham or Meachem than spend a 1st on a WR. Build our defense even stronger through the draft and we will dominate for years.

WR- Michael Crabtree, Robert Meachem, Josh Morgan, Kyle Williams, Stephen Hill, Ted Ginn.

^^^ This works for me.
Really good draft and am looking forward to the rest of your selections. I think Crick will be a star.

Cap space will be a challenge in FA which will, in part, dictate our draft. However, I feel more quality FA who haven't won or have no chance of a SBowl ring w/their current teams will play for less like Rogers did this year.

That said, we'll need to pick up another CB, RG and go into the season with 2 BIG WR.

Who do you see in the latter rounds filling any of those needs? any sleepers?
Originally posted by lamontb:

Totally disagree in terms of the d-line. We have all 3 starters returning next year, 2 young guys that show promise (RJF more so than Dobbs, but even he flashed enough during the pre-season to the point where he made/stayed on the roster) and a guy that (instead of letting go with a settlement) they're keeping around (Tufuku). So is youth and some depth needed at d-line, absolutely....but "severely thin?" Not even close.

Now, OLB...we're dangerously thin and even more so if we don't resign Brooks.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Totally disagree in terms of the d-line. We have all 3 starters returning next year, 2 young guys that show promise (RJF more so than Dobbs, but even he flashed enough during the pre-season to the point where he made/stayed on the roster) and a guy that (instead of letting go with a settlement) they're keeping around (Tufuku). So is youth and some depth needed at d-line, absolutely....but "severely thin?" Not even close.

Now, OLB...we're dangerously thin and even more so if we don't resign Brooks.

To be fair, Dobbs, Tukafu and RJF show promise but none of them can even come close to Crick as a pass rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone