LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

The cost to trade up

Right now we can draft no lower then 29th come April. The value of that pick is 640 so I will use that number to calculate some maneuvering. Obviously all draft day trades are different and every deal can vary on the factors. I will try to keep the numerical values as close as possible when making projections for each possible trade range.

From 29th to 25th
640 to 720, would have to give up a 3rd round pick valued at 128.

From 29th to 20th
640 to 850, would have to give up a 2nd round pick valued at 292 but possibly gain 4th round pick valued at 62.

From 29th to 15th
640 to 1050, would have to give up a 2nd round pick valued at 292 and a 3rd round pick valued at 128.

From 29th to 10th
640 to 1300, would have to give up a 2nd round pick valued at 292 and a 3rd round pick valued at 128-and most likely a future 2nd round pick with the possibility of a first.

Anything higher then a 10th would definitely require a future 1st round pick with multiple picks from this years draft going as well. The Falcons moved from 27 to 6 and surrendered a 2nd round from that draft and a future 1st as well, something we don't need to do. Now obviously if we keep winning then the value of our picks diminishes and the cost to move up will become greater and might require players in the deal.

On the flip side of the argument if we moved back...

From 29 to 37 (5th in the 2nd round)
We would gain their 2nd round pick and swap 3rd rounders.

From 29 to 42 (10th in the 2nd round)
We would gain their 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick and possibly give a 4th.

Again this isn't an exact science, I'm just going off of the numbers.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Jan 17, 2012 at 5:45 AM ]
not really digging any of these scenarios. i would say trading back from 29 to 42 would be the best option. maybe our pick might become more desirable when a really good player falls to us that we dont really have a need for (like the mark ingram trade last draft)
Bringing up the subject would indicate you have a player you would want Baalke to get. Are you ready to identify that player and tell us why you want him?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Bringing up the subject would indicate you have a player you would want Baalke to get. Are you ready to identify that player and tell us why you want him?

Actually I don't, I prefer to jump back this year. I'm just showing what the cost would be to move around.
Thanks for the post - very interesting.

Trading back to 42 seems appealing. I guess it always comes down to who's available and how we do in FA. Baalke/JH will have a surprise or two and itt's always exciting to see it unfold.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks for the post - very interesting.

Trading back to 42 seems appealing. I guess it always comes down to who's available and how we do in FA. Baalke/JH will have a surprise or two and itt's always exciting to see it unfold.

Ideally at this point I would prefer getting to 37, 38,39, or 40. At that point we could possibly jump back 1 more time just a few spots for a team looking to leap frog another team who is close. In that scenario we would get a 2nd and 3rd from team A, and another 3rd or 4th from team B. The amount o talent we could get and the cost savings of picking later would be a win win.
stay put or trade up to draft a WR

i dont get the logic of trading back this draft(unless for future 1st like patriots)

we arent many people away from putting our best roster
we are just a few people away
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i dont get the logic of trading back this draft(unless for future 1st like patriots)

i agree with this, move up for Floyd or stay put for ALshon or move back if nothings popping off.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
To trade back from a low first into the second I'd rather gamble on a future 1st a compensation rather than extra picks this year, if it pays off there are massive dividends.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

i agree with this, move up for Floyd or stay put for ALshon or move back if nothings popping off.

Floyd could go top 10 to 15 very easily. The cost would be massive

Originally posted by jreff22:

i agree

but im talking maybe of jeffery or flyd is still avaliable at around the 20's

i would love to stay where we are and draft sanu though (my number 1 choice)

if all is gone depending on FA i wouldnt mind getting perry OLB from USC or a G
Originally posted by jreff22:

i agree

but im talking maybe of jeffery or flyd is still avaliable at around the 20's

i would love to stay where we are and draft sanu though (my number 1 choice)

if all is gone depending on FA i wouldnt mind getting perry OLB from USC or a G

Floyd will be the 2nd guy IMO unless somebody wants a burner and goes after Wright...but both will probably have great combines.....I am curious on Floyd's 40 though. Alshon I think has a great chance to be available but I want to see his numbers also and can we keep his weight under control?
Usually Im a fan of staying put or trading back but with this teams success and still obvious 3rd down and redzone issues they have to be aggressive and maybe trade up this year. I dont think they can afford to wait to draft the playmaker they need when there sitting at 32.
bump
it looks like we may have to jump a couple of spots if we want fleener...the dude just ran a 4.45!!! if he falls to us we have to pull the trigger. I can see either the broncos, bears, or steelers snatching him up =/
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone