There are 151 users in the forums

1st round Ghost mocking

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Oldy - Not sure if Miller can pass protect (probably not), but Frank could take him under his wing and not only show him what to do, but explain how critical pass protection is. Btw, he was timed at 4.30 in the spring, second fastest Hurricane next to a cornerback.
Based on the video, he runs alot like Frank--North/South--but with more speed.

Another RB from the U--you know Frank would take him under his wing and teach him all those pass protection tricks that only Frank knows!

He's a guy I think the Niners would spend a first on--based partly on his 4.3 speed.

RBs not considered a need by most on this board, but if something happens to Frank next season, or if he continues to decline, their gonna need something more than a change of pace, smaller RB (Hunter), and a limited (still can't pass protect) short-yardage, special teams ace (Dixon).

My guess is that they've had their scouts out looking for Lamar Miller--or someone like him--all season.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Face it, signing some big name, making a big splash in the media, makes it LOOK like you're doing the job as GM.

Spending hours looking at tape, spending hours talking with staff about team needs, interviewing players, reviewing scouting reports--none of that is as visible or as flashy, its just hard work, and doesn't impress (some) fans as much. Baalke appears to take this latter approach. It seems to be paying off.
The niner game plan is to lay low for a few days, allow some people on this forum to go insane thinking that the niners are setting around playing checkers, they then sign a new kicker and get ripped right away for it. Wait a few more days, allow the fans on the forum to froth at the mouth while the eagles build a dynasty with thier signees, then sign people like carlos rogers. the fans on the forum call the signees garbage and scream that we will finish 2-14. we then win the west with our garbage and play for the right to be in the super bowl.The people who foamed at the mouth develop amnesia and now say they were behind the moves all the time
Originally posted by cciowa:
Face it, signing some big name, making a big splash in the media, makes it LOOK like you're doing the job as GM.

Spending hours looking at tape, spending hours talking with staff about team needs, interviewing players, reviewing scouting reports--none of that is as visible or as flashy, its just hard work, and doesn't impress (some) fans as much. Baalke appears to take this latter approach. It seems to be paying off.
The niner game plan is to lay low for a few days, allow some people on this forum to go insane thinking that the niners are setting around playing checkers, they then sign a new kicker and get ripped right away for it. Wait a few more days, allow the fans on the forum to froth at the mouth while the eagles build a dynasty with thier signees, then sign people like carlos rogers. the fans on the forum call the signees garbage and scream that we will finish 2-14. we then win the west with our garbage and play for the right to be in the super bowl.The people who foamed at the mouth develop amnesia and now say they were behind the moves all the time
lol. You nailed it!

People have a right to express their opinions, and to have short memories, too, I guess.

As long as there are some knowledgeable guys around to share their insights on football, its all good. IMHO.
Good to see your work, Ghost.

Couple observations: Konz would be great for this team, you know I have placed a gigantic bullseye on his back for a long time now. I see him going higher, as the second interior offensive lineman drafted. The team may get a shot at Cordy Glenn, but he will probably also be off the board. Good OL go fast in the draft.

Brockers is a potential fast riser, as his ceiling is massive. I also see him going in the first twenty picks. Dre Kirkpatrick is going to drop due to the marijuana arrest, but probably less than many think. Still think he is top 15.
Reiff has KC written all over him, if he drops to 11. I don't even see that happening.
Nice work.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Good to see your work, Ghost.

Couple observations: Konz would be great for this team, you know I have placed a gigantic bullseye on his back for a long time now. I see him going higher, as the second interior offensive lineman drafted. The team may get a shot at Cordy Glenn, but he will probably also be off the board. Good OL go fast in the draft.

Brockers is a potential fast riser, as his ceiling is massive. I also see him going in the first twenty picks. Dre Kirkpatrick is going to drop due to the marijuana arrest, but probably less than many think. Still think he is top 15.
Reiff has KC written all over him, if he drops to 11. I don't even see that happening.
Nice work.

Thanks MD! I created the mock before Kirkpatrick's mishap, so that will definitely change (as most of this mock will in the next few months). You're probably more right about Konz than Reiff, who might slip just a little as teams discover his arms a little shorter than preferred for a top-10 OT.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Why would the Bengals take an OLB in the first? They have Manny Lawson, Keith Rivers, and Rey Maualuga... Couldn't they use help somewhere else?

I don't see the Broncos taking a WR. They had Eric Decker play solid all year long and Demaryius Thomas showed later in the year what he is capable of when healthy.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Why would the Bengals take an OLB in the first? They have Manny Lawson, Keith Rivers, and Rey Maualuga... Couldn't they use help somewhere else?

I don't see the Broncos taking a WR. They had Eric Decker play solid all year long and Demaryius Thomas showed later in the year what he is capable of when healthy.

Manny Lawson is a free agent (signed a 1 year deal with Cincy), Rivers is coming off IR and Rey is a MLB. None of these guys has Brown's ability to get after the QB as a blitzer, which would be a game-changer for the Bengals defense. That said, it's very early (as I've said before) and a lot can change both in terms of free agent signings and draft positioning. Truth is, Cincy doesn't have too many glaring needs, and might just look to go BPA with those two first-rounders.

You're probably right about Denver, but when Decker went down, Tebow didn't have many other options at WR beyond DT, so it wouldn't hurt to secure another very talented, big-framed WR that can help in the run game and make plays down field. If they're going to commit to Tebow as Elway said, they'll have to surround him with as much talent as possible, and Sanu seems to fit perfectly.

But again, a lot will change...just explaining some of the decisions I made.
Me likey Konz, too. In the second, what about Polk? Do we really think Gore is going to be able to heal as well again. We just miss him too many times during the season. I really love Polk's style, just like Gore, IMO. BTW, will Polk drop 'cause of his injury concerns? I also like me some Poe, Mercilus, Jefferey, Sanu, and Glenn.

Who else at the end of the round if Konz was not there?
Originally posted by ninertico:
Me likey Konz, too. In the second, what about Polk? Do we really think Gore is going to be able to heal as well again. We just miss him too many times during the season. I really love Polk's style, just like Gore, IMO. BTW, will Polk drop 'cause of his injury concerns? I also like me some Poe, Mercilus, Jefferey, Sanu, and Glenn.

Who else at the end of the round if Konz was not there?

I like Polk but I wouldn't take him even if we had the opportunity. Too many miles on those legs. He was the main back for Washington for 4 years.
Based on the video, he runs alot like Frank--North/South--but with more speed.

Another RB from the U--you know Frank would take him under his wing and teach him all those pass protection tricks that only Frank knows!

He's a guy I think the Niners would spend a first on--based partly on his 4.3 speed.

RBs not considered a need by most on this board, but if something happens to Frank next season, or if he continues to decline, their gonna need something more than a change of pace, smaller RB (Hunter), and a limited (still can't pass protect) short-yardage, special teams ace (Dixon).

My guess is that they've had their scouts out looking for Lamar Miller--or someone like him--all season.

I personally think that RB is a big need for this team. I don't think Hunter is Gore's replacement but his supplement. Another Gore like back would be fantastic to keep our running game going and keep the offense balanced.

I also think that another OL, 2 WRs, DE, 2 CBs, and at least 1 OLB would be most helpful.

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I personally think that RB is a big need for this team. I don't think Hunter is Gore's replacement but his supplement. Another Gore like back would be fantastic to keep our running game going and keep the offense balanced.

I also think that another OL, 2 WRs, DE, 2 CBs, and at least 1 OLB would be most helpful.

Welp. That about uses up our 7 picks.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 23zack80:

Manny Lawson is a free agent (signed a 1 year deal with Cincy), Rivers is coming off IR and Rey is a MLB. None of these guys has Brown's ability to get after the QB as a blitzer, which would be a game-changer for the Bengals defense. That said, it's very early (as I've said before) and a lot can change both in terms of free agent signings and draft positioning. Truth is, Cincy doesn't have too many glaring needs, and might just look to go BPA with those two first-rounders.

You're probably right about Denver, but when Decker went down, Tebow didn't have many other options at WR beyond DT, so it wouldn't hurt to secure another very talented, big-framed WR that can help in the run game and make plays down field. If they're going to commit to Tebow as Elway said, they'll have to surround him with as much talent as possible, and Sanu seems to fit perfectly.

But again, a lot will change...just explaining some of the decisions I made.

Thanks for explaining your stance, I haven't been following college players much this year with the 49ers success... Funny how that works.

I forgot about Manny signing a one year deal and wasn't aware Rivers went on IR. I can see why you went that way with the Bengals now.

I still disagree about the Broncos going WR but you never know with the draft. It wouldn't be a bad idea but it's hard to draft that position when you only throw the ball 10 times a game.
Broncos may take a Safety to replace Dawkins with or soon replace him.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Broncos may take a Safety to replace Dawkins with or soon replace him.

Actually agree with you. If Mark Barron is still on the board when they draft, he'll likely be the pick.
In this mock Ghost, I hope Gilmore falls one more spot to us.
Share 49ersWebzone