LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 190 users in the forums

OD's Draft 2.0

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I like Jenkins over Brown, yes I do, Brown has been winning me over lately though, but I'm still not sold on him 100%

Which Jenkins, Janoris?? The guy is another Pacman, I'd rather have Hayward or Minnifield to challenge Brown.

I would personally wait and go after Judie of Texas A&M in the 2nd or 3rd, or Donnie Fletcher in the 3rd or 4th. A lot of good middle-early guys like Fletcher, Steed, Hayward, Fleming and Blanton that could be fits here.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think if anything, we should focus on a starting-caliber center. I'm not the only one who noticed the OL getting MANHANDLED when Goodwin was out for a quarter and Snyder had to play C with Rachal next to him.

I hope to God never to see Rachal in the game for us again. He was STEAMROLLED by the Saints DL, who by the way were one of the worst pass-pressuring groups in the NFL. There's a reason they had to blitz so much.

So why focus on a center when goodwins signed to a 3 year contract and snyders about to be a free agent why not take a big guard instead of a center that will have to sit behind Goodwin and then we'd still have the hole at Guard unless the backup center can swing to guard. It just makes more sense to take the position of need .

You have to understand that when you're drafting a center, you're not just drafting a center -- you're drafting a guy who knows the position but can play LG, C, AND RG. You're drafting yourself both a center of the future, but depth at ALL THREE interior spots.

The Colts did this a lot, draft centers to play guard, and it helped them be one of the best OL's in the league year after year.

Let me put it this way -- every center is essentially a guard, but not every guard is a center. Make sense?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM ]
You have to understand that when you're drafting a center, you're not just drafting a center -- you're drafting a guy who knows the position but can play LG, C, AND RG. You're drafting yourself both a center of the future, but depth at ALL THREE interior spots.

The Colts did this a lot, draft centers to play guard, and it helped them be one of the best OL's in the league year after year.

that'd be good but only if Konz is there. I'd take Konz over Glenn too. In that matter I'd fill in Ryan Miller for Vlachos in the 5th . Sound doable?
For me at this point there's very few positions that we'll have a rookie step in and start, Guard, WR, and maybe CB are about all I can come up with where we're drafting from.

that'd be good but only if Konz is there. I'd take Konz over Glenn too. In that matter I'd fill in Ryan Miller for Vlachos in the 5th . Sound doable?

I'd take Konz in the first, Ben Jones in the 2nd, Brewster in the 2nd or 3rd, and then probably Philip Blake in the 5th. After that, not really many center prospects left worth noting.
I have my doubts any of the first three rounders will be on the board when the team picks...but, you never know. All three fit huge needs for the team, especially if we get dinged in free agency.

I think that retaining Rogers is going to be nearly impossible, so I believe the team will be targeting a CB in the first round.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have my doubts any of the first three rounders will be on the board when the team picks...but, you never know. All three fit huge needs for the team, especially if we get dinged in free agency.

I think that retaining Rogers is going to be nearly impossible, so I believe the team will be targeting a CB in the first round.

I think between Rogers and Goldson, we'll franchise the more expensive one.
MD, its hard to tell right now, the top 3 round guys can move up and down especially until after the combine and individual workouts. But Gotta start somewhere.
I'd take Konz in the first, Ben Jones in the 2nd, Brewster in the 2nd or 3rd, and then probably Philip Blake in the 5th. After that, not really many center prospects left worth noting.
Love Konz and Jones, but Brewster...yikes!!! That kid was a mess at OSU. Just way too overrated by the press, and blew so many assignments. I hope he can be a solid pro, but I wouldn't grade him anything more than a 5th rounder, and he'll be gone before then.

Agree that the center class this year is pretty thin after the top two guys.

Too bad the team went after Cody Wallace years ago over Jonathan Sullivan, who put together a really solid year for the Vikings. Loved that kid, gave him a third round grade. Also, I think we blew it on Marcus Cannon last year. I see him stepping in for Brian Waters as early as next year.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM ]
MD, its hard to tell right now, the top 3 round guys can move up and down especially until after the combine and individual workouts. But Gotta start somewhere.

Agreed. Lots of shifting to go. Just think Glenn has a ton of versatility and good feet for a huge guy (played LT this year). Maybe Jones will get a trailer attached to him while running the forty. Hopefully so, because I like the kid.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Love Konz and Jones, but Brewster...yikes!!! That kid was a mess at OSU. Just way too overrated by the press, and blew so many assignments. I hope he can be a solid pro, but I wouldn't grade him anything more than a 5th rounder, and he'll be gone before then.

Agree that the center class this year is pretty thin after the top two guys.

Too bad the team went after Cody Wallace years ago over Jonathan Sullivan, who put together a really solid year for the Vikings. Loved that kid, gave him a third round grade. Also, I think we blew it on Marcus Cannon last year. I see him stepping in for Brian Waters as early as next year.

We will see, you could be right -- I'm waiting on the Senior Bowl practices to see how Brewster fares, I've heard him tabbed as one graded around the 3rd or 4th, with a peak of the 2nd, and low of the 5th. But yes, I don't like this year's center class. Even Jones is a significant dropoff from Konz.

Honestly, best case scenario for us is:

We draft a steal of a guard later, and C Beeler shows that with tremendous off-season work, he is up to NFL standards in strength, technique, and knowledge of the system and earns a roster spot.

Would be nice to have that kind of depth:

Staley -------------- Iupati - Goodwin - Snyder (if he stays) - Davis
Boone/Person - ROOKIE - Beeler - Kilgore - Boone/Person
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I like Jenkins over Brown, yes I do, Brown has been winning me over lately though, but I'm still not sold on him 100%

The chances of drafting Jenkins are next to none and none.

Baalke and Harbaugh have stated that the first thing they look are the intangibles. If a prospect has bad intangibles, they do not look at the skill set.

Jenkins does not have good intangibles. Too much trouble in the past.
Share 49ersWebzone