LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

East-West Shrine Game Thread, 1/21 at 4 PM ET (NFLN)

Originally posted by vrabbit:
weigh-ins and stuff happening today, right?

Wes Bunting or whatever his name is, he's all over it on twitter

Yup, practices starting soon. Can we get this thread officialized or what? No "pin" necessary, because it'll constantly be bumped. Plus.. pinned stuff doesn't get seen half the time because everyone's eyes are trained to look below.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
weigh-ins and stuff happening today, right?

Wes Bunting or whatever his name is, he's all over it on twitter

Yup, practices starting soon. Can we get this thread officialized or what? No "pin" necessary, because it'll constantly be bumped. Plus.. pinned stuff doesn't get seen half the time because everyone's eyes are trained to look below.

SHRINE GAME WEIGH IN RESULTS ARE IN!: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-Weighin-Results.html
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]
Most notable weigh-in results I saw:

WR Devon Wylie, Fresno St. -- 5'9 1/8" 186 lbs. ... Rock solid build. Steve Smith-like.

WR Dale Moss, South Dakota St. -- 6'3 3/8" 220 lbs. ... Thicker than expected (originally listed at 6-4 210).

WR Jarius Wright, Arkansas -- 5'9 5/8" 176 lbs. ... Lighter than expected.

TE Chase Ford, Miami -- 6' 6 3/8" 258 lbs. ... Weighed in more than an inch taller and 13 pounds heavier than expected.

DE Julian Miller, WVU -- 6' 3 3/8" 256 lbs. ... Had huge wingspan and weighed in at 12 pounds lighter than expected, giving him a GREAT chance to show what he's got as a hybrid DE/OLB.

CB Micah Pellerin, Hampton -- 6' 3/8" 195 lbs. ... Weighed in at above 6 feet tall and a rock solid 195 pounds, good for him.

OLB Kyle Wilber, Wake Forest -- 6' 3 5/8" 249 lbs. ... Weighed in at a much stouter 6-3 249, rather than the expected 6-4 240.

S Jerrell Young, South Florida -- 6' 7/8" 207 lbs. ... Checked in with a slightly better than expected 6-1 207 frame.

DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise St. -- 6' 4 1/8" 285 lbs. ... 10 pounds heavier than expected. Could be a good thing.

CB/FS Brandon Hardin, Oregon St. -- 6' 2 5/8" 222 lbs. ... Weighed in at a huge nearly 6-3 and 222 pounds. Missed season from broken shoulder, if recovered, this could show strong weight-room dedication to staying in shape.

OG Ryan Miller, Colorado -- 6' 6 7/8" 326 lbs. ... HUGE increase in expected weight from Miller, who was 298 before the season. That's almost 30 pounds added. If it's more muscle than fat, this is good for Miller.

Other notes: WRs Dale Moss and Greg Childs were among those with the largest hands at the weigh-in, not just among receivers, but among all players.
Quote:
WesBunting Wesley Bunting
Really impressed with small school corners josh Norman and micah pellerin , tall and tough to seperate from #shrinegame #nfldraft

Telling you, this Pellerin kid could really make a rise.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Chase Ford and Ryan Miller are two I wouldn't mind seeing in Red-n-Gold.
OTC, why is Gerrell Robinson's measurements missing? Was hoping to see his height.

Wonder if he declined? hmmm....
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
OTC, why is Gerrell Robinson's measurements missing? Was hoping to see his height.

No idea. I couldn't find Nevada DE Brett Roy's measurments either.

Here are some other notes from analysts though:

Quote:
McShay13 Todd McShay
Some guys with good showings on Day 1 of E-W Shrine: USC DT D. Harris, Michigan St WR BJ Cunningham, WVU CB Tandy, and Fresno WR Devon Wylie

Quote:
OptimumScouting Eric Galko
2012 #ShrineGame: West Practice Notes Up! QB Harnish, WR Shoemaker impressed, but get to know #FrensoSt WR Devon Wylie! optimumscouting.com/2012-east-west…

Quote:
Of all the receivers (and the entire squad), Fresno State's Devon Wylie was the star of the afternoon, and I'll admit, I vastly under rated him in our rankings (will change). He's got a powerful, developed lower half, he's explosive with the ball in his hands, but maybe most impressive that I didn't always see on film was how well he tracked the ball and saw it to his hands. Granted the secondary was not good for the West roster, but Wylie had loads of NFL scouts after him today.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2012-shrine-game-monday-west-practice-notes.html

I personally see Wylie possibly rising to a mid-round draftee or better. I like him more than Jarius Wright. Wright has speed, but Wylie looks like he is nearly the complete package -- speed, quickness, thick tough build, and hands to boot. Only knock is his route tree, which will easily come through coaching.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM ]
Quote:

EDIT: Update - Looks like both players opted out, and neither of these players will be participating. I have updated the rosters in the OP.

And.. Still no love from the mods to make this thread official?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM ]
<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div>

Robinson playing in the Senior Bowl according to Tony Pauline

Edit: For some reason, my brain read "Shrine Game" instead of "Senior Bowl."

Sorry. Very tired today.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM ]

Very strange, because he was removed from the Roster in the web site. That, plus no weigh in numbers would lead one to believe he's not participating. Didn't hear a peep about him in the practice reports today.

now you're confusing me, isn't this the Shrine game?

makes sense he's off the roster if he's participating in the Senior Bowl no?
(See above post. OTC went full retard for a second).

Yes, Gerell Robinson and T.J. Graham are invited to the Senior Bowl to replace Toon and Rishard Matthews.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM ]
https://twitter.com/#!/WesBunting/status/159121272654143489

If there's one guy who is going to move up draft boards big time in media circles following the #shrinegame its #FresnoState WR Devon Wylie

OTC's newest man-crush?
https://twitter.com/#!/WesBunting/status/159121272654143489

Quote:
If there's one guy who is going to move up draft boards big time in media circles following the #shrinegame its #FresnoState WR Devon Wylie

OTC's newest man-crush?

You know it! Seriously, looks like the next dang Wes Welker. He's a local product too coming from Fresno.. GET HIM ON THIS TEAM!

We need more weapons, and personally I think we need to get ourselves insurance for KW. He plays the game intense but has an injury history, so I want to be sure we've got our bases covered at WR.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM ]
From Wes..

Despite measuring in at 354 pounds, Miami (OH) OL Brandon Brooks carried the weight well. He's a strong kid with decent length and didn't look sloppy through his mid-section. His lower half possessed good girth and he certainly looked the part of an inside lineman. •

I was a bit surprised how tiny Arkansas WR Jarius Wright was, weighing in at 5096, 176 pounds. He looked more like a track guy and didn't have much girth through his lower half. •

Northwestern QB Dan Persa wasn't able to reach the six-foot mark, and despite possessing a strong looking frame height is still a major concern. •

On the other hand, QB B.J. Coleman of UT Chattanooga was a well-put-together kid at 234 pounds and was the one quarterback down here who definitely looked the part. •

Rutgers OL Desmond Wynn took the cake for best-looking lineman at the Shrine game. He displayed little body fat on his broad frame, good length and has the ability to add more girth without losing much athleticism. •

Georgia FB/TE tweener Bruce Figgins was among the most impressive athletes down here. He displays a rocked up 272-pound frame with little body fat and a strong looking lower half.
Share 49ersWebzone