There are 195 users in the forums

David Wilson, RB - VTech declares

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by YungAce:
I wish we were in the market for a RB. He's one of my favorite players in the draft

We ARE in the market for a RB... Gore was hurt all late season and in the playoffs. He kept taking himself out of the games for long stretches. Putting Dixon in on 3rd and 1's so he could dance around and fail. Which cost us. Gore has a lot of miles and is declining. Anybody can see it. RB is more important to this team than most. We are ball control, not too many turnovers and defense and special teams. Although RB importance has declined somewhat with the rule changes it hasn't declined for us IMO.

I posted that a month ago before free agency. To most on here, the idea of choosing a running back in the 1st was absurd with all of the players we could have potentially lost. If Kendall Wright isn't on the board at 30, Im all for drafting Wilson.

I've been on board son!
[ Edited by YungAce on Mar 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
RB is a luxury pick for the Niners this year. We need to address our biggest area of concern and that's our 3rd down conversion rate/red zone production. How do you improve this? Either by picking up speedy receivers or giving our QB more time. I do think we've improved our WR corp from last year but drafting another one early makes sense. Fleener would help out in this area. Last but certainly not least, shoring up the RG spot is a huge priority.

So, I can see the Niners selecting Hill, Wright, Fleener, Zeitler*, Konz, Glenn or Osemele* with our first pick before we invest in a RB. Also, next years RB class is said to be superb. We can wait on a RB and survive with Gore, Hunter, Dixon (?), mid round pick RB..

*= trade back.

how is it a luxury pick. What happens if Gore gets hurt for any extended period of time? Can Kendall carry the rock as an every down back, pass protect? Can Dixon? Frank Gore will be 29 this year and running backs don't last forever.
Don't think he has the thickness Harbaalke's looking for in a RB. Believe they'd rather have someone like Doug Martin or Robert Turbin. Both guys are over 220. Martin's arguably the best all-around RB in this draft and would be a natural for Harbaugh's WCO.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
how is it a luxury pick. What happens if Gore gets hurt for any extended period of time? Can Kendall carry the rock as an every down back, pass protect? Can Dixon? Frank Gore will be 29 this year and running backs don't last forever.

yep. I'd certainly trust Hunter more than a rookie in blitz pickup.
Wilson is a beast and I can easily envision us drafting him. Marshawn Lynch without the off-field issues. Check out his passion plus the tough runs with superior balance (and trucking people in the process). Shows great speed and proved it at the combine as well:

[ Edited by kronik on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM ]
RB is a luxury pick for the Niners this year. We need to address our biggest area of concern and that's our 3rd down conversion rate/red zone production. How do you improve this? Either by picking up speedy receivers or giving our QB more time. I do think we've improved our WR corp from last year but drafting another one early makes sense. Fleener would help out in this area. Last but certainly not least, shoring up the RG spot is a huge priority.

So, I can see the Niners selecting Hill, Wright, Fleener, Zeitler*, Konz, Glenn or Osemele* with our first pick before we invest in a RB. Also, next years RB class is said to be superb. We can wait on a RB and survive with Gore, Hunter, Dixon (?), mid round pick RB..

*= trade back.

And Fleener (3rd TE) is not a luxury pick???
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:

*= trade back.

he'd be the 2nd TE....Anyone on here who thinks DWalk is a TE is kidding themelves. He is a H-Back/Utility man and if JH wants to completely implement his offense he will need as many purebred TEs whether they are pass catchers/blockers (VD/Fleener) or strictly blockers (Byham) as he can get.
Originally posted by sfout:

*= trade back.

he'd be the 2nd TE....Anyone on here who thinks DWalk is a TE is kidding themelves. He is a H-Back/Utility man and if JH wants to completely implement his offense he will need as many purebred TEs whether they are pass catchers/blockers (VD/Fleener) or strictly blockers (Byham) as he can get.

Even if that is true, D Walker will be on the field. ALong with VD, at least 5 linemen, 1QB, 1RB and most likely 2 WR's (unless in short yardage situations). That makes 11 on the field. Not to mention our FB getting plenty of snaps and sometimes more than 5 linemen.

It's laughable to think Fleener will play ahead of D. Walker next year barring injuries.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

*= trade back.

Even if that is true, D Walker will be on the field. ALong with VD, at least 5 linemen, 1QB, 1RB and most likely 2 WR's (unless in short yardage situations). That makes 11 on the field. Not to mention our FB getting plenty of snaps and sometimes more than 5 linemen.

It's laughable to think Fleener will play ahead of D. Walker next year barring injuries.

no its not. you're not looking at the whole picture, Walker isn't a TE he is an H-Back, therefor if we draft a TE like Fleener who who has spent 4 years in the system he'd probably instantly become the #2 TE. Walker would see the field on packages outside of the base offense. Just because he has more experience doesnt meant he'd play over Fleener. Fleener's size, skill set, speed and knowledge of the system would put him ahead of Walker almost immediately. I did see you're post in the Coby Fleener thread about Byham though, I'm really excited to see him come back, I'd love to see how he does in this system.

Threads about Wilson though so I'm done arguing about Fleener. We'll have to wait and see if we bring any other RBs in for visits but despite Cohn's opinion of us not drafting an RB because "dixon is a former baalke pick" is completely off base, part of being a good GM is recognizing when your picks haven't panned out and having the balls to admit you want a do over. Dixon was a 7th round pick so cutting the cord would barely even touch the wallet, that being said if we have the chance to add a day 1 or early day 2 RB and have sit on the bench for "gore's 1 last good season" then by all means we should do it. Giving an RB like Wilson, Martin, Turbin the chance to learn from Gore would be amazing for his long term success.

At this point I'd probably put my personal big board for our 1st rounder at.
- Hill
- Wilson
- Fleener
- Konz
- Brockers

Wilson might just be too great of a talent to pass up much like people are saying about Fleener and Hill so its kind of a toss up.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
nope..Robert Turbin is the guy we need

i second that. i dont think we will take Miller or Wilson, itll either be Doug Martin or Turbin.

yea id really like doug martin! dude is a beast!!!

yeahh, Doug Martin is my second chocie if Turbin is gone.
Compare Turbin to Trent Richardson physically though. I was checking out some things with one of my friends and I truly believe the only difference in Trent Richardson being the number 1 and Turbin being a third rounder is the schools, conferences and the systems. Richardson is 5'9 and 228 and ran a 4.52. Turbin is 5'10 and 222 and ran a 4.50 (unofficial 4.44). Plus he can catch, not only swings and flats, but slants and post routes. (Clearly Ive sone alot of research on Turbin lol) I will be truly heartbrolen if somebody else gets him before we do

I agree, if we take a back I want Turbin. The guy plays like he is 6-3 230. He kind of makes me think of Steven Jackson. He's not as big as Jackson, but he plays big. On a cool side note, the guy is from Fremont. I always like rooting for local guys. Be sure to watch for him at the local pro day in a couple of weeks.

Share 49ersWebzone