LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Quick New Year's Mock and Offseason

Originally posted by kronik:
He wants alot of money. Nope

agreed

id rather just take a guy early in draft - especially with the rookie salary cap
When I read the comments on this thread, I'm starting to think that the Niners may want to think about trading down into the early second round so they can get Crick as well as a WR early. Unless a targeted player falls to them that they don't expect at all (quite possible of course), trading down might be a good strategy.

The Niners find themselves in a nice position now because they have a very talented roster (18 guys who either made the Pro Bowl or are alternates) and thus can pretty much choose the best player available. This has been a good strategy for many good teams lately (Packers, Pats). Of course the Niners have areas they would like to improve upon (OL, secondary, WR, and DL depth), but they are not hurting for 4-6 starters like most teams are. So...that also means that if they really like a player, they could trade up to get him too. Nice to have flexibility.

Cheers!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
When I read the comments on this thread, I'm starting to think that the Niners may want to think about trading down into the early second round so they can get Crick as well as a WR early. Unless a targeted player falls to them that they don't expect at all (quite possible of course), trading down might be a good strategy.

The Niners find themselves in a nice position now because they have a very talented roster (18 guys who either made the Pro Bowl or are alternates) and thus can pretty much choose the best player available. This has been a good strategy for many good teams lately (Packers, Pats). Of course the Niners have areas they would like to improve upon (OL, secondary, WR, and DL depth), but they are not hurting for 4-6 starters like most teams are. So...that also means that if they really like a player, they could trade up to get him too. Nice to have flexibility.

Cheers!

yup thats whats gonna be good about this draft

i think our OL is fine if we resign snyder not an early round need

if brooks leave however we have to take an OLB in 1st round

god thing abut this draft it is deep in WR and CB both needs
  • dj43
The past four games have clearly shown the biggest need is a big, fast wideout. Hence, I cannot agree with any mock that does not address that need in the first or early second rounds.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Cheers!

yup thats whats gonna be good about this draft

i think our OL is fine if we resign snyder not an early round need

if brooks leave however we have to take an OLB in 1st round

god thing abut this draft it is deep in WR and CB both needs

OLB is also deep IMO, along with WR and CB, those are DEEP, lol.

RB is another need possibly. There aren't many star RBs in this class, Richardson is a Top 10 pick, then guys like Wilson(VA Tech), James(OREGON), Polk(WASH), Gray(TX AM), Miller(MIA) and others like Doug Martin(Boise), Isiah pead(Cincy), Bernard Pierce(Temple) are there.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

RB is another need possibly. There aren't many star RBs in this class, Richardson is a Top 10 pick, then guys like Wilson(VA Tech), James(OREGON), Polk(WASH), Gray(TX AM), Miller(MIA) and others like Doug Martin(Boise), Isiah pead(Cincy), Bernard Pierce(Temple) are there.

i dont see RB as a need yet

gore has at least 2 more years on him

hunter is our change of pace/speed back and may be a feature back in the future

dixon is a great goalline back he will never lose yards
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i dont see RB as a need yet

gore has at least 2 more years on him

hunter is our change of pace/speed back and may be a feature back in the future

dixon is a great goalline back he will never lose yards

I also am happy with our trio of RBs, plus Miller, but we will/should keep 5 RBs total, why not draft a back in rd 5 or so, or trade up get a guy like Doug Martin. Could use Dixon some in FB if need be.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
So, if all of you are correct in your assumption that WR will be the #1 priority in the draft..........let's reset. This is also based on the assumption that the Niners sign only one of their three free agent WR's.

Round 1: Mohammed Sanu Rutgers or Rueben Randle LSU
Round 2: Ben Jones C/OG Georgia
Round 3: Shaun Prater CB Iowa
Round 4: Jacquies Smith OLB Missiuri
Round 5: Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati
Round 6: Keshawn Martin WR Michigan St.
Round 7: Delano Howell SS Stanford

Good enough?

Derek Wolfe is a 3rd round talent with 2nd round buzz; I've also seen Prater taken in the 4th a lot later.

I don't know where you got those draft profiles, but I went off of the NFL New Era Scouting profiles and who was available in their mock draft. Not saying either of us are right or wrong, but that's where I went for my info. I am sure the prospect rankings will change at least a couple of times between now and the actual draft.

All looks right.

Wolfe is to me a Late 4th early 5th rd guy. I have him going to us in my 4 round mock in round 4.

WR Sanu, CB Boykin, OLB Branch and DE Wolfe are my 1st 4 rounds for us. I'll need to update as Randle declared today.

I think Prater is fine in the 3rd rd, there should be a run on CBs, I see 5 or 6 1st rd guys(Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Minnifield, Dennard, Jenkins), then some 2nd/3rd rd talent(Boykin, Prater, Robinson, Fleming, Tandy).

Your first 4 picks sound great to me. Boykin would also add another dimension to our incredible Special Teams with his return ability. Don't know if Branch makes it to the end of the third, but he would look awfully good opposite Aldon Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone