There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Washington RB Chris Polk to enter draft.

Originally posted by ninertico:
I am on this kid's bandwagon. He seems like the perfect back for what we do. Inside the tackles he has the similar vision that Gore does and he has that first step plant like Gore. His pass protection is one of the best and he can catch out of the backfield. IMO, he would be a vast improvement from Dixon as much as I like the kid. He would be much more decisive than Dixon. However, don't know if we would spend a second for him. Would be the right spot though.

Man, this sound just like Gore. Do you think he drops to the third as a result of the med concerns?
I have been talking about this kid for months, I would draft, and know he wont make it out of the 2nd....unless he gets a major medical flag at the combine
Big fan of Polk and have been watching him the last three seasons. I think he'll do very well in the pros, my only worry is that he's got a lot of miles on those legs. He was a bell cow for the Huskies for three years.

I doubt we'll be taking a running back in the first 3 rounds, but if I were to choose one, I'd go Lamar Miller out of the U.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Big fan of Polk and have been watching him the last three seasons. I think he'll do very well in the pros, my only worry is that he's got a lot of miles on those legs. He was a bell cow for the Huskies for three years.

I doubt we'll be taking a running back in the first 3 rounds, but if I were to choose one, I'd go Lamar Miller out of the U.

I'm really struggling to come up with a good idea of what we do with our 1st round pick this year. As long as we actually do re-sign Morgan, Rogers, Brooks, and to a lesser extent Goldson we could do a pure BPA in the first and worry about our needs after that. Everyone here needs to stop overreacting about our WR, DB, and OLB needs.

WR: if we actually re-sign morgan our top 3 wideouts are: #1 Crabtree #2 Morgan #3 Williams #5 Ginn. IMO we're looking for a #4 wideout. easily found in the 4-6 round range

DB: re-signing rogers puts us at Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock. We'll probably cut Spencer if he doesn't restructure his deal so we're basically looking for another #4 corner unless you guys think we should cut/trade/demote Brown.

OLB: If we re-sign Brooks we're looking for his back-up because he won't re-sign with us just to back someone up.

S: re-signing Goldson means picking for his back-up as well but we've got some young back-ups already, not too mention there really isn't a 1st round safety on the board this year.

Sure Baalke/JH could make a "business decision" and demote a player in an effort to make the team better but I just don't see them pursuing Brooks, Morgan or Goldson if we're going to draft their replacement. We'll find out in March but I really don't think we let any of them walk. IMO we could easily trade our #1 back into the late 30s or very early 40s(40-43) and draft a RB or DT while also gaining another mid round pick.

We'll find out if tomorrow if David Wilson is going pro but if he stays in school I bet Polk's stock jumps up quickly.

My ranking is Richardson, Polk, Pead.

SI Article on him proclaiming him the best college RB you haven't heard of: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/10/15/pead/index.html

He reminds of LeSean McCoy

YouTube highlight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzIRGwiA2Q&feature=fvwrel
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

My ranking is Richardson, Polk, Pead.

SI Article on him proclaiming him the best college RB you haven't heard of: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/10/15/pead/index.html

He reminds of LeSean McCoy

YouTube highlight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzIRGwiA2Q&feature=fvwrel

Unless we shock everyone and draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2 I would be stoked for us to spend a 5th rounder on Pead. He runs people over and he is surprisingly shifty in film I've seen.

However I remain very unconvinced we'll draft an RB at all. Even if Dixon gets cut in camp I know Harbaugh will extend a camp invite to Jeremy Stewart one of the RBs from Stanford and if JH absolutely had to sign a RB because of injury or Dixon getting cut that kid will get first look.
Originally posted by sfout:
Unless we shock everyone and draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2 I would be stoked for us to spend a 5th rounder on Pead. He runs people over and he is surprisingly shifty in film I've seen.

However I remain very unconvinced we'll draft an RB at all. Even if Dixon gets cut in camp I know Harbaugh will extend a camp invite to Jeremy Stewart one of the RBs from Stanford and if JH absolutely had to sign a RB because of injury or Dixon getting cut that kid will get first look.

I like the way you think, sfout. I agree with what you said about possibly drafting BPA if we resign the necessary players you mentioned. I can see that being Peter Konz if he's still on the board.

I also agree with you about Jeremy Stewart. Ironically, he reminds me of Jonathan Stewart of the Panthers. Big and has some explosion in those thick legs. I'd love to draft him in the 5th possibly.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

I like the way you think, sfout. I agree with what you said about possibly drafting BPA if we resign the necessary players you mentioned. I can see that being Peter Konz if he's still on the board.

I also agree with you about Jeremy Stewart. Ironically, he reminds me of Jonathan Stewart of the Panthers. Big and has some explosion in those thick legs. I'd love to draft him in the 5th possibly.

Thanks man, I just don't see us spending a first rounder on a skill position when unless we demote or cut someone loose we have almost zero need for that kind of player. Drafting a lineman for either side of the ball or an RB with our first just makes a ton of sense to me. In terms of OL in the first I am worried Konz won't declare, isn't he only a junior??? I am not sold on anybody else in terms of OL though :/

Stewart just plays well. He can do anything you need him to do, I think he'd be a great asset to the team.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM ]
Go Cougs!!
Go Cougs!!
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Go Cougs!!

He is a huskie
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
He is a huskie

I know that, I hate the Huskies, I myself am a Cardinal, but my daughter is a Coug.. No purple allowed in our house.

Polk has gashed the Cougs pretty well over the past few years. I am glad he is going pro. I think he will be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
I'm a fan. He's not a break away threat, but he has a good hands catching the ball and breaks tackles. He's not a Gore when it comes to pass protection but I would love to get him on the team.
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm a fan. He's not a break away threat, but he has a good hands catching the ball and breaks tackles. He's not a Gore when it comes to pass protection but I would love to get him on the team.

pass blocking will improve with coaching
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I had to bump this. According to Todd McShay Polk is now in danger of becoming a day 3 pick if he has a bad pro day and/or combine...

Washington RB Chris Polk
Polk was a bit of a surprise participant after initially being considered an early-entry prospect. He missed all but the first two games of his freshman season in 2008 due to a shoulder injury, which would have qualified him for a medical redshirt, but Polk never filed the paperwork and his eligibility ran out after the 2011 season.

Either way, he was in the second-day mix following a strong season (1,488 yards, 12 TDs). Polk didn't do much to stand out, though, showing a concerning lack of burst and top-end speed. He caught the ball well, but showed little in the way of creating yards on his own. Polk simply wasn't as quick or fast as expected based on his film, and the NFL combine and pro day workouts now become even more important if he hopes to become a Day 2 pick.

Hypothetically if he still has the same kind of vibe on draft day and slides to day 3 should we take a flier on him in round 4?

for example we re-sign Alex, Rogers, Goldson and Brooks would he be worth a pick at that point?
I had to bump this. According to Todd McShay Polk is now in danger of becoming a day 3 pick if he has a bad pro day and/or combine...

Washington RB Chris Polk
Polk was a bit of a surprise participant after initially being considered an early-entry prospect. He missed all but the first two games of his freshman season in 2008 due to a shoulder injury, which would have qualified him for a medical redshirt, but Polk never filed the paperwork and his eligibility ran out after the 2011 season.

Either way, he was in the second-day mix following a strong season (1,488 yards, 12 TDs). Polk didn't do much to stand out, though, showing a concerning lack of burst and top-end speed. He caught the ball well, but showed little in the way of creating yards on his own. Polk simply wasn't as quick or fast as expected based on his film, and the NFL combine and pro day workouts now become even more important if he hopes to become a Day 2 pick.

Hypothetically if he still has the same kind of vibe on draft day and slides to day 3 should we take a flier on him in round 4?

for example we re-sign Alex, Rogers, Goldson and Brooks would he be worth a pick at that point?

Round 4 is way too high if those concerns continue through to draft day. I'd say he would fall to the 5-7th round. Of course, when talking about a guy who's had as much success as he has on film, it's not inconceivable that someone would pick him up in the 4th, I just don't think we should.