LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Y'know... I'm not really worried about the weight issue. If the guy loves football, he'll be fine.

If the guy loves football, Harbaugh will know.

Seriously... this isn't complicated.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Y'know... I'm not really worried about the weight issue. If the guy loves football, he'll be fine.

im sure he loves football, but he still got fat...loving football is still possible while loving fast food
Originally posted by jreff22:

im sure he loves football, but he still got fat...loving football is still possible while loving fast food

Still got fat? Buddy was always above 230 in college. He slimmed down to be a professional right after his bowl game. Starting a pro work out routine right after his bowl game injured is dedication. Getting down to 213 should show alot of people just how serious he is about turning pro. Now if he kept his ability to truck over people at his current weight Jeffery should be twice as beasty as he was before imo.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Still got fat? Buddy was always above 230 in college. He slimmed down to be a professional right after his bowl game. Starting a pro work out routine right after his bowl game injured is dedication. Getting down to 213 should show alot of people just how serious he is about turning pro. Now if he kept his ability to truck over people at his current weight Jeffery should be twice as beasty as he was before imo.

He has been projected in the 2nd round in most drafts because he will be a reach at 30. I love his speed, but his work ethic scares me. Someone that shapes up for the pros is nothing new, some players get paid and go back to old habits. I'll trust the GM and coach with this pick. I don't mind a reach when it turns out like Aldon Smith, if they think he has what it takes they will pull the trigger on him.

But that's the thing Jimmy, he's playing weight is at least 15-20 lbs more than where he is. Will he maintain it? History shows no. He went through college at the heavier weight. He knew he was going pro so why not shed the weight in college.

IMO, there might be a weight clause in his rook contract as a result. Rather than showing that he can loose the weight in the minds of GMs, it's suspicious, IMO.
Originally posted by jreff22:

he slimmed down to run his 40, he wont play at 213
Originally posted by ninertico:

But that's the thing Jimmy, he's playing weight is at least 15-20 lbs more than where he is. Will he maintain it? History shows no. He went through college at the heavier weight. He knew he was going pro so why not shed the weight in college.

IMO, there might be a weight clause in his rook contract as a result. Rather than showing that he can loose the weight in the minds of GMs, it's suspicious, IMO.

Im guessing it was time constraints between classes, work, practice, and a s**t college kid diet. He was probably guided to play at a heavier weight as well since
Spurrier had him line up everywhere and to help with blocking. The guys with s**t work ethics also dont usually start training right after a bowl game while injured. They usually dont do anything until preseason or just half ass their work outs. Which is seen during combine and pro days with bad numbers that just get worse each time they work out. In Jefferys case he atleast imo shattered all doubt that hes slow and fat.
How do we know he doesn't love his conditioning now? How do we know he hasn't adapted to the healthier lifestyle and has no drive to keep up the good work?

We don't. That's for the front office to determine... and if they give his disposition a ? Then Jeffery's a top 20 prospect that fell in our laps at # 30.

Just enjoy the ride and put some faith in our scouts and F/O.... they have earned it thus far.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
How do we know he doesn't love his conditioning now? How do we know he hasn't adapted to the healthier lifestyle and has no drive to keep up the good work?

We don't. That's for the front office to determine... and if they give his disposition a ? Then Jeffery's a top 20 prospect that fell in our laps at # 30.

Just enjoy the ride and put some faith in our scouts and F/O.... they have earned it thus far.
You make too much good sense.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Well thanks... the new pills must be working!

Where does all this fat, lazy, doesn't care stuff come from? Seriously does someone have a link to a story I can read? I have never seen a picture of him being fat nor have I heard scouts talk about it all that much. Is this a webzone thing because his weight was up? Any have any truth on the situation because I like the guy and always thought he was good for playing in the SEC. He came out and was originally projected as #2 or 3 wr near FLoyd and now it's crazy to even consider him as a 1st rounder.

The only thing I have seen is his college resume and his Pro-day...

Great post and great points!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Where does all this fat, lazy, doesn't care stuff come from? Seriously does someone have a link to a story I can read? I have never seen a picture of him being fat nor have I heard scouts talk about it all that much. Is this a webzone thing because his weight was up? Any have any truth on the situation because I like the guy and always thought he was good for playing in the SEC. He came out and was originally projected as #2 or 3 wr near FLoyd and now it's crazy to even consider him as a 1st rounder.

The only thing I have seen is his college resume and his Pro-day...

its all based on the SI Cover for the 2011 season preview issue, he looked like he had a beer gut and soft arms. Dont know how the rest of the rumors got started but if he played as well as he did in college at 230+ I can only imagine how effect he'd be at 215-220 in the pros
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Why you gotta be tryin' to say what I already said only make it so people understand better and make you look smart and me look stupid?

Meanie.

lot of old man love goin on here
Share 49ersWebzone