LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffrery, WR, South Carolina

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Using Dwayne Jarrett as an example is just so off-base it's crazy.

Jarrett had documented terrible practice habits, a legitimate lack of care at times, and was known to have some attitude problems. His work ethic was beyond poor. He wasn't just a failure because of those things either, but they contributed. Jarrett, despite his size, lacked NFL-caliber strength, so not only was he zero threat after the catch because he couldn't break or elude tackles, he had no ability to separate from press-coverage and get off jams at the line of scrimmage. Put that together with no speed, 4.62 (Pro Day) - 4.7 range, and you've got a receiver that not only cannot get downfield, but he can't even break away from defenders when he does get the ball. You get a guy that overall simply doesn't have the collective pieces to succeed in the NFL.. and unfortunately, nor the desire to work to even attempt to attain any of them.

I am well-document as not the biggest fan of Jeffery, but to compare him to Jarrett is silly. They are nothing alike aside from having size and being good college players. Jeffery has many strengths that Dwayne never had.

Jefferey has never had a lousy work ethic reputation and it is often reported over here that he is one of the first in last out type players. There is a bunch of bad information that has created an unfair stigma of him which has further perpetuated false opinions of him. That being said, he's a good kid but not my first choice of players in this draft.

Also, Jefferey has spent his life being double covered in SEC play. Garcia was garbage in the beginning of the season and Shaw was raw when he took over (basically a running QB). Once Shaw started to develop, Jefferey's production followed along.
The way I see it, we can only gain form Alshon doing well. If he runs wel, shows some suddeness, and further distancing himself from the Mike Willams comparisons then he becomes a viable option for us. If he rises past our spot, then he drives another good player down the board. If you ask me it's a win win senario. I have seen a lot of people claiming that despite the weight drop he still doesn't have suddeness. These posters may be correct, but I am going to reserve my judgement until after the combine. The guy played at 235 in college. There is no way to know for sure how being 19 pounds lighter will affect him. He may gain some suddeness and he may not. I am going to wait and see. At this point in time though I still would prefer Reuben Randle at that spot. If Jeffery proves himself on Sunday he may rise past Randle in my mind. We shall see.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I know. Just wanted to show that Hill is both taller and leaner.

imo that seems a bit too skinny i would like hill to be about 5-10 pounds heavier

6-4 215 isn't exactly skinny. It's just right, especially when you look at Hill's build. Leaner doesn't really mean skinnier, just means more toned/cut/less bulk to him.

See: A.J. Green - 6-4 207.

true

depends how he looks

i like hilla lot but if were getting hi we need a more polished WR in 1st (alshon jeffery floyd ow wright) in the 1st round or a FA like Vjax bowe wayne etc

hill is not only not a day 1 starter but he will need a year at the minumum

While its true he'll need some time to develop, its not like he won't be on the field year 1. He's a good blocker (having spend 90% of his offensive time blocking in GT's triple option) so he'll be able to stay on the field for running downs. He can at least be a redzone target, and still at least run Go and Post routes. So its not like he'll spend his time on the sideline twiddling his thumbs.

Plus Baalke/Harbaugh have shown they look more toward the next few years instead of just this year. If they see a kid has a lot of potential, they've shown they'll grab him regardless, knowing they can develop him. Bowman, Kaep, Aldon, Culliver, Anthony Davis were just a few of the early picks that were " more potential than polished" guys that Baalke snagged with the confidence they'd be coached up.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:

If he needs that much motivation to not be the Humburgler, who is to say he will stay motivated and be in shape when he gets drafted and receives an NFL contract.

.. and this is probably the only thing that scouts would hesitate on for Jeffery.

It's a legitimate aspect that all organizations have to carefully research. Do I know where Jeffery's head is? Is he only looking to make quick money so he can be slothful? No, I don't know... neither do you. There's an inherent risk in drafting anyone. They might talk the best talk, but ultimately want nothing but the money. The Niners will do their homework.. best they can. If we bring in a vet WR in FA? We can afford to take a risk on a late 1st rd wideout.
i heard this fatty is not so fat anymore... there goes our chances of getting him
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
The way I see it, we can only gain form Alshon doing well. If he runs wel, shows some suddeness, and further distancing himself from the Mike Willams comparisons then he becomes a viable option for us. If he rises past our spot, then he drives another good player down the board. If you ask me it's a win win senario. I have seen a lot of people claiming that despite the weight drop he still doesn't have suddeness. These posters may be correct, but I am going to reserve my judgement until after the combine. The guy played at 235 in college. There is no way to know for sure how being 19 pounds lighter will affect him. He may gain some suddeness and he may not. I am going to wait and see. At this point in time though I still would prefer Reuben Randle at that spot. If Jeffery proves himself on Sunday he may rise past Randle in my mind. We shall see.

Yep, I agree.

Possibility of 5 (maybe 6) WRs being taken before us, and likely 3 QBs. That means somebody of quality at another position is getting pushed down OR somebody is going to want to trade up to #30.

We are in a beautiful position. Our main area of need (WR) can be addressed in so many ways. And we don't have any true "need" positions. Just looking for quality depth and starter potential. Ah, the benefits of having the most complete roster in the NFL... we can go in almost ANY direction with our picks.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I'd love for the guy to run like a 4.5 and end up being picked before the 49ers are up to bat, as you said, that's one more player who tumbles down the draft boards.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
i heard this fatty is not so fat anymore... there goes our chances of getting him

Didn't want him then, don't want him now, I'll be interested to see what happens once he cashes his first big check, if he stays in under 220 pounds or if he balloons up again.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Didn't want him then, don't want him now, I'll be interested to see what happens once he cashes his first big check, if he stays in under 220 pounds or if he balloons up again.

i would take floyd wright randle and sanu over him at this point until he proves he can maintain his weight and avoids being a chubs mcfatty

I think Jeffery, if successful, will have the kind of career Sidney Rice would have had so far if he could've stayed healthy.

The thing I do see with Jeffery is, he does possess the attributes to be a successful NFL receiver, but it will all depend if he carries his college work ethic to the Pro's. If he does, he should be a solid player.

Jeffery cannot be covered by press coverage, he is simply too strong and will rip off and separate from the jam against NFL corners to get deep. What teams might try doing against Jeffery is sitting on the intermediate routes with the idea of not letting Jeffery get open deep or on the slants. This opens up the short, quick pass to Alshon and good luck taking him down in the open field one on one without giving up extra yardage, if you can get him down.

Unlike the failure Dwayne Jarrett, who simply was a big guy with no open-field strength, Jeffrey will knock you flat.

I recognize the tools Jeffery has to succeed, including elite hands, but questions remain. I still am not Jeffery's biggest fan, as the risk factor seems higher with him than others, but by no means can I say he clearly exudes any glaring characteristics of a probable bust. But the risk makes him every bit the definition of "boom or bust" prospect.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I think Jeffery, if successful, will have the kind of career Sidney Rice would have had so far if he could've stayed healthy.

The thing I do see with Jeffery is, he does possess the attributes to be a successful NFL receiver, but it will all depend if he carries his college work ethic to the Pro's. If he does, he should be a solid player.

Jeffery cannot be covered by press coverage, he is simply too strong and will rip off and separate from the jam against NFL corners to get deep. What teams might try doing against Jeffery is sitting on the intermediate routes with the idea of not letting Jeffery get open deep or on the slants. This opens up the short, quick pass to Alshon and good luck taking him down in the open field one on one without giving up extra yardage, if you can get him down.

Unlike the failure Dwayne Jarrett, who simply was a big guy with no open-field strength, Jeffrey will knock you flat.

I recognize the tools Jeffery has to succeed, including elite hands, but questions remain. I still am not Jeffery's biggest fan, as the risk factor seems higher with him than others, but by no means can I say he clearly exudes any glaring characteristics of a probable bust. But the risk makes him every bit the definition of "boom or bust" prospect.

I agree here's proof.

While I appreciate the observations on Jeffery's game, but I can't understand why he "seems" like a higher risk than other players.

Do you have some sort of story or evidence (from a reliable source, such as a coach or trainer questioning his work ethic) that gives you this feeling, or is it just based on the erroneous, unprofessional stories that were floated about Jeffery this season?

I have to ask because I have found no reason to question Jeffery's character aside from the musings of armchair GM's across the country who trashed him for his weight.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree here's proof.

WOW! look at all of thaty separation!

He showed how quickly he can drop weight and get into impressive physical condition. That proves that he can do it, not that he will do it. To me, it becomes that much more embarrassing that he showed up fat at the start of the season. The kid has talent, no question. With all of the depth at WR this year, it just doesn't seem worth the gamble of a 1st round pick for a guy who could get a fat paycheck, then follow it up w/a fat belly. Streeter/Hill in the 2nd or Quick/Criner in the 3rd seem like more palatable risk/reward scenarios (if they go in those rounds).
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I agree here's proof.

wow if he proves to baalke and harbaugh that he can keep up the work ethic and a willing blocker downfield then they wont hesitate pulling the trigger at no. 30
Share 49ersWebzone