There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Webzone Scouting Reports 2012: Offense

• kush
  • Veteran
I'm sure each of us webzone GM's have put a lot of time into scouting the upcoming draft and this thread is your chance to put that hard work to good use.

Post a scouting report of an OFFENSIVE player you have had a chance to scout (whether you've read a lot about him, seen some games on tv or even have just checked out on Youtube). Try posting one scouting report per post and hopefully come draft time we'll have a good list. Keep in mind, you can post a scouting report for any player, even if he already has a scouting report in this thread. It's great to see what two different posters think about the same prospect

UPDATE: I will now be splitting this into an offensive and defensive thread. Also, to keep it organized, I will keep track of the scouting reports we have written and what page they are on. That information will be found in this post.

QB:

RB:

WR:

T.Y. Hilton (page 1, Baugh_Area)

Jeff Fuller (page 1, 49ersalldaway126)

Brian Quick (page 1, Baugh_Area)

Michael Floyd(page 1, 49ersalldaway126)

TE:

Coby Fleener (page 1, Baugh_Area)

OT:

OG/C:
[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Mar 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
Coby Fleener TE Stanford

Body: Fleener is tall and lean but has the frame to put on around 15 more pounds without sacrificing much speed or flexibility. He can use his body to box out defenders to make a catch and is tall enough to be considered a serious red zone threat.

Receiving: Fleener is an excellent receiving TE, capable of threatening a defense in many ways. His straightline speed is Very Good for a tight end and will force teams to respect him deep. His route running is above average. He can get in and out of his breaks fairly quickly and uses head fakes to set up defenders. He has shown a natural ability to find soft spots in zones, making him a trustworthy target, even if the original play has broken down and the QB is looking for an outlet.

Blocking: Fleener is not a great blocker at this time, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in effort. He puts a ton of effort into his blocking and should improve as he bulks up a little more.

Overview: It looks like Coby Fleener has a chance to develop into a premier TE in the NFL.

[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
T.Y. Hilton WR Florida International

Size: Hilton is short (less than 6 feet tall) and has a wiry frame. He is skinny but athletic looking a la DeSean Jackson but with a little more bulk.

Speed/Quickness: Hilton does not have elite speed but is rarely caught from behind. His quickness and elusiveness is absolutely elite. He can change directions effortlessly and accelerates extremely well.

Receiving: Hilton is a natural receiver/pass catcher. He plucks balls out of the air with his hands just like you should and is able to turn it up field without wasting time/motion. He hasn't had to run many routes and will need to improve at his route running but he already shows a natural feel for setting up defenders with headfakes. His quickness will really let him excel as a route runner imo.

Overview: Hilton looks like a steal waiting to happen. He can come in early in his career and help a team in a variety of ways. Looks like a plus returner in the NFL and a really good slot receiver who will have the chance to grow into a bigger role as he develops and refines his game.

[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
T.Y. Hilton WR Florida International

Size: Hilton is short (less than 6 feet tall) and has a wiry frame. He is skinny but athletic looking a la DeSean Jackson but with a little more bulk.

Speed/Quickness: Hilton does not have elite speed but is rarely caught from behind. His quickness and elusiveness is absolutely elite. He can change directions effortlessly and accelerates extremely well.

Receiving: Hilton is a natural receiver/pass catcher. He plucks balls out of the air with his hands just like you should and is able to turn it up field without wasting time/motion. He hasn't had to run many routes and will need to improve at his route running but he already shows a natural feel for setting up defenders with headfakes. His quickness will really let him excel as a route runner imo.

Overview: Hilton looks like a steal waiting to happen. He can come in early in his career and help a team in a variety of ways. Looks like a plus returner in the NFL and a really good slot receiver who will have the chance to grow into a bigger role as he develops and refines his game.

i like him. would def like to have him on the team.Great hands, he knows how to keep plays alive, fight for extra yards w/o turning the ball over, never a wasted motion with him, find/follow blocks, and make defenders miss.
Hilton: Very nice hands and doesnt seem afraid of contact. Excellent balance and good vision to contribute as a returner.

Good looking prospect... Thanks for the post.
This is a very good idea. But by the time we get near the draft it will be huge and unwieldy. Consider setting up seperate threads for each position or at least for O, D and ST. Because at the moment threads are getting open on an ad hoc basis for player or for position. That way we will have a well-organised and accessible pool of facts and opinion.

Or not if you prefer it this way!
jeff fuller

pros

great route running

solid hands

at 6 ft 6 and extremelly athlethic long arms he is a great RZ target

great speed for his size- his 40 time should be around 4.5

cons

seems to be injured often

lapses in concentration

limited upside (doubt he is a #1 go to WR in nfl)

in other words hee might be the guy we are looking for VD and crabs morgan and KW all are great at gettng us down the field but we lack a guy that has the elite size or speed to help us get it in the endzone near the goalline

fuller can be that guy
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
This is a very good idea. But by the time we get near the draft it will be huge and unwieldy. Consider setting up seperate threads for each position or at least for O, D and ST. Because at the moment threads are getting open on an ad hoc basis for player or for position. That way we will have a well-organised and accessible pool of facts and opinion.

Got your PM and totally agree, thanks for the heads up!

Does the reformatting I've done help make this thread more manageable/accessible?
  • kush
  • Veteran
Brian Quick WR Appalachian State

Size: Quick is tall (6'4", 215 lbs.) and on the lean side. His height will give him a big boost in the red zone and on deep balls because he is good at highpointing the football and making a big catch. He uses his body well to box out defenders and make tough catches not unlike Marques Colston.

Hands: Generally does a good job of catching the ball away from his body, but I think he can improve on this even more. Even though he uses his hands well, there are times where it looks like he lets the ball get too far into his body.

Speed/Quickness: Quick doesn't appear to have elite speed but he doesn't look slow either. I would guess he'll run somewhere in the 4.55-4.65 range, but at his size he can get away with that speed. What impresses me when watching Quick is that he doesn't lumber like similarly tall receivers, but rather looks quick and coordinated, especially with the ball in his hands.

Route running: Quick, like every college receiver, will have a lot of work to do on routes when he becomes a pro, however Quick has some skills that will aid his development. As stated before he uses his body well to box out defenders so even when he's covered he's open. He has a natural feel for setting up defenders with head fakes. He has qood quickness in and out of his cuts and really good balance for a guy his size.

Overview: I really like Brian Quick as a prospect and think he has a chance to make some noise in the NFL. Early in his career he will be a solid #3/#4 receiver who can instantly provide a red zone/deep threat and once he develops his route running he's got a chance to become a starter on the outside.

[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
Originally posted by English:

Got your PM and totally agree, thanks for the heads up!

Does the reformatting I've done help make this thread more manageable/accessible?

Cool! Let's have a separate one for D players.
I'm sure each of us webzone GM's have put a lot of time into scouting the upcoming draft and this thread is your chance to put that hard work to good use.

Post a scouting report of an OFFENSIVE player you have had a chance to scout (whether you've read a lot about him, seen some games on tv or even have just checked out on Youtube). Try posting one scouting report per post and hopefully come draft time we'll have a good list. Keep in mind, you can post a scouting report for any player, even if he already has a scouting report in this thread. It's great to see what two different posters think about the same prospect

UPDATE: I will now be splitting this into an offensive and defensive thread. Also, to keep it organized, I will keep track of the scouting reports we have written and what page they are on. That information will be found in this post.

QB:

RB:

WR:

T.Y. Hilton (page 1, Baugh_Area)

Jeff Fuller (page 1, 49ersalldaway126)

Brian Quick (page 1, Baugh_Area)

TE:

Coby Fleener (page 1, Baugh_Area)

OT:

OG/C:

It has been a while since i have been on here (broken heart still mending). But Baugh Area i really appreciate your hard work and good work for putting in some scouting time. I am starting to feel the blood and excitement flowing through my veins again. And thank you to whomever else is putting in the time.
Brian Quick WR Appalachian State

Size: Quick is tall (6'4", 215 lbs.) and on the lean side. His height will give him a big boost in the red zone and on deep balls because he is good at highpointing the football and making a big catch. He uses his body well to box out defenders and make tough catches not unlike Marques Colston.

Hands: Generally does a good job of catching the ball away from his body, but I think he can improve on this even more. Even though he uses his hands well, there are times where it looks like he lets the ball get too far into his body.

Speed/Quickness: Quick doesn't appear to have elite speed but he doesn't look slow either. I would guess he'll run somewhere in the 4.55-4.65 range, but at his size he can get away with that speed. What impresses me when watching Quick is that he doesn't lumber like similarly tall receivers, but rather looks quick and coordinated, especially with the ball in his hands.

Route running: Quick, like every college receiver, will have a lot of work to do on routes when he becomes a pro, however Quick has some skills that will aid his development. As stated before he uses his body well to box out defenders so even when he's covered he's open. He has a natural feel for setting up defenders with head fakes. He has qood quickness in and out of his cuts and really good balance for a guy his size.

Overview: I really like Brian Quick as a prospect and think he has a chance to make some noise in the NFL. Early in his career he will be a solid #3/#4 receiver who can instantly provide a red zone/deep threat and once he develops his route running he's got a chance to become a starter on the outside.

3rd best Receiver in the Draft to me is Brian Quick! Very unique talent for a big man. 49ers we should definetly nab him
found a good one for floyd

Acceleration: 7.0Overall: One area that didn't show up on film was Floyd's ability to catch and accelerate away from defenders. You will notice in each clip below that Floyd makes the majority of his catches in traffic. This does show off his exceptional concentration and good catching ability, but it poses new questions about his ability to separate from defenses.

Agility: 7.5

Film Study: There are two things to watch here. First, watch as Floyd uses a move to get open from tight coverage. He then has the presence of mind and agility to reverse field, accelerate and pick up extra yards on a key play in the game.

Overall: Floyd does show good agility, but it's not great. He looked faster and more athletic in 2011, but I worry about his flexibility and his burst in the open field. These are two areas to monitor during Senior Bowl week.

Blocking: 8.5

Film Study: I played wide receiver and coached the position—and this is textbook. Floyd drives off the snap and sells his route. Until he breaks down and inside on the cornerback, we're not sure if he's blocking or running a slant.

Floyd positions himself so the defender has to come through him to make the tackle. This is what separates his ability and effort from the other receivers in this class. This is a very small thing, but it's a key to success in the NFL.

Overall: One thing I loved about Julio Jones last season was his ability and effort as a blocker. Michael Floyd is similar. He's willing, which is rare in the diva era of wide receivers, and does more than run off coverage. He's engaged and ready to get his hands dirty.

Hands: 9.0

Film Study: Catching the football is all about concentration. There were a good number of clips that would show Floyd's ability to catch the football cleanly, but I enjoyed this catch the most.

The route here is also good, as Floyd positions himself away from the cornerback with a crisp cut, but watch his concentration. He never worries about the cornerback jumping the route because he has blocked him out with his back. Floyd looks the ball in, secures it and then reaches across the goal line for a touchdown.

Overall: I did see a few drops on Floyd's 2010 film, but he's much improved in this area during the 2011 season. The few drops I did chart could be chalked up to bad timing or poor throws.

Release: 8.0

Overall: I had planned to show cut-ups of this, but in four games evaluated, Floyd was never pressed at the line of scrimmage. Every college team chose to play him with off coverage—the cornerback at least seven yards off the ball. This is a testament to the respect Floyd demands from college corners.

Route Running: 8.5

Film Study: I like to show NFL-style routes in this area, and that's what we see from Floyd. This is a simple out-route, but it's a cornerstone of many offenses today.

Watch as Floyd drills his inside (right) foot into the ground and changes direction. The poor cornerback never has a chance to recover and make up ground.

I'm going to be very picky here and tell you that Floyd did round off this route, meaning there's too much curve in his change from running vertical to horizontal. This route will work in college, but not in the NFL. If there is one area that bothers me most about Floyd, this is it. I need to see crisper transitions.

Overall: Floyd has a good understanding of routes and how to get in and out of his breaks. I like the fact that he doesn't kick his feet out too far away from his body when changing direction. Instead he keeps his feet and legs in line, which limits the amount of time it will take him to cut and accelerate in a new direction.

Size: 9.0

Film Study: Check out the clip here. You notice two things; 1) Floyd is head-and-shoulders taller than the cornerback. That's an easy plus. 2) Floyd does a great job high-pointing the ball—which means he goes up to catch the football at its highest point. He doesn't wait on the football, he attacks it. That's an NFL skill.

Overall: Floyd has ideal NFL size; he easily passes the eyeball test. A little-known fact is that he actually dropped weight before the 2011 season to add some acceleration.

Speed: 8.0

Overall: Floyd has good speed, but not great. You won't find him running away from defenders after the catch. In fact, one thing that jumps off the film to me is that Floyd is constantly making receptions in traffic. This indicates that he's not separating from defenders, which can show a lack of speed.

Floyd's speed and short-area agility will be something I watch closely at the Senior Bowl.

NFL Comparison: Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers

Jordy Nelson may have Floyd beat in a foot race, but it's close. They are very similar in size, and even in what they do best on the field.

Like Nelson, Floyd is best when working across the coverage. He excels when asked to run horizontal across the field, moving through traffic and through coverages to find openings. This is a route every NFL team runs in some form, and Floyd is a master at catching on the run and securing the football while moving.

Nelson may be a better athlete, but Floyd has the potential to be a similar player in the NFL.

Overall: 8.0

This scouting report began with me stating Floyd might be the safest pick among all the wide receivers in the 2012 draft class, and I believe that.

i think the guy who did this is underrating his speed a bit

also another guy who is a beast at the red zone

• kush
  • Veteran
Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
6'3", 216 lbs

Pros:

Hands- Has big, strong hands and is a very natural catcher. Jeffery has this uncanny ability to square up a throw, putting himself in the best position possible to make a catch.
Highpointing the ball- Jeffery not only squares up the ball very well, but he has the leaping ability and elite body control to go up over defenders time and time again, both in the red zone and down the field on vertical routes.
Size- Jeffery towers over most corners and safeties and really uses his size to his advantage. He is great at boxing defenders out to make a contested catch.
Open field running- While Jeffery lacks elite straight line speed, he is very explosive and powerful with the ball in his hands in the open field. He gets upfield quickly and is generally hard to take down.

Cons:

Straight-line speed- He is not slow by any means, but much like Fitz he is not a straight line burner who is going to run by every corner.
Route-running- Like most college wr's he hasn't been asked to run a full route tree and will require work at the next level.

Overview:

It will surprise me if Jeffery is not an immediate starter and contributor at the next level. While he needs to refine his route running, his ball skills and body control are elite and arguably better than any other prospect in this draft class. He will have a serious chance to be an immediate red zone and vertical threat.

[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Mar 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]
I can give you some Slimming advice if you want to loss weight. You can have a look at this one :Slimming Coffee.
[ Edited by slimming on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM ]