There are 201 users in the forums

2007 Draft Revisited

Originally posted by skibeerski:
Originally posted by English:
No love for Josh?

I would if he could stay healthy. The guy has skills when he's on the field.

Fair use of a 6th rounder then.
Besides Larry Grant, not a good draft at all. Rachal is a human turnstile, Balmer sucks in Seattle and Morgann cant stay on the field.

I don't even consider Larry Grant our guy aside from this year because he was plucked off our practice squad so early and ended up with us only because he was a free agent signing.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Probably his best draft but I still think Staley is overrated.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:

agreed....

Oh no doubt, guy was a long shot.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
He did okay with his 6th and 7th round picks there..but yeah, the rest were a miss. Reggie isn't horrible..but not worth a 3rd round.

Sure he's worth a 3rd. I'll spend a 3rd round pick on a core special teamer and a guy that's a solid backup at both free and strong safety any day of the week. You don't expect pro bowlers with 3rd round picks.
Originally posted by andes14:
He did okay with his 6th and 7th round picks there..but yeah, the rest were a miss. Reggie isn't horrible..but not worth a 3rd round.

Sure he's worth a 3rd. I'll spend a 3rd round pick on a core special teamer and a guy that's a solid backup at both free and strong safety any day of the week. You don't expect pro bowlers with 3rd round picks.

1) He's not a solid back up.
2) He's been injured too often to be a core special teamer.
3) 3rd rounders are still largely expected to be high performers, not injury-riddled backups.
2007 draft was good, no doubt. But it was probably the biggest discrepancy between how I thought we were gonna do, and how we actually did, of any Niner team ever. Finished 7-9 the year before, Alex Smith was developing and was going into his 3rd year, added Nate Clements (to pair with Walt Harris who was coming off of an outstanding year), Michael Lewis, Darrell Jackson, Pat Willis, Joe Staley and that draft class, and then just flamed out. I still believe if Norv Turner stayed (which also likely means the A. Smith injury/Dilfer being forced to play never happens), we could have won the NFC West that year. Probably the biggest negative effect of a coordinator leaving ever.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
1) He's not a solid back up.
2) He's been injured too often to be a core special teamer.
3) 3rd rounders are still largely expected to be high performers, not injury-riddled backups.

I think you're overreacting to his durability. He hasn't missed a game in either of the last 2 years and he was gonna be our starting free safety if we didn't wind up re-signing Goldson.
No love for Josh?

I would if he could stay healthy. The guy has skills when he's on the field.

Other than this year hes only missed a few games and that was his rookie year. Id say hes stayed healthy most of his career.

2007 was a Nolan draft. He had the final say. It wasnt until after the season that he relinquished personnel power to McCloughan.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by susweel:

agreed....

this
When I look at who was drafted and signed as a free agent, and who was cut or not re-signed, I have to say that McCloughan is an elite talent spotter. Every great one has a few clunkers, and he had his share, but his drafts in 2005 - 2007 were superb, and his FA's were good, too.

His failure was in not telling Jed that Nolan had to be fired and a QB-friendly offensive minded HC hired. He'd still be the GM if he had stood on the table in Jed's office and demanded that, he'd probably still be GM and the Niners would be on their 2nd consecutive NFC West championship.

Baalke has had two really good drafts himself, 2010 and 2011, and he recognized the need for a top notch offensive minded coach, and he landed the best one in the country.

That's the diff between a talent evaluator, and a GM.

Reggie Smith isnt horrible he flat out sucks. Not sure where to look up the stat but I swear hes on the field for half of the recieving TDs the secondary has given up this year
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Good draft, but yes. Look at the next year.

1 29 San Francisco 49ers Kentwan Balmer
2 39 San Francisco 49ers Chilo Rachal
3 75 San Francisco 49ers Reggie Smith CB
4 107 San Francisco 49ers Cody Wallace C
5 – San Francisco 49ers selection forfeited as penalty for violating anti-tampering rules
6 174 San Francisco 49ers Josh Morgan WR
7 214 San Francisco 49ers Larry Grant (who became a starter on the Rams team after being plucked from the practice squad - glad he's back).
Besides Larry Grant, not a good draft at all. Rachal is a human turnstile, Balmer sucks in Seattle and Morgann cant stay on the field.

Balmer is with the Redskins, and Morgan broke his leg, besides that he doesnt miss much time on the field and he was looking solid this year
Share 49ersWebzone