LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 320 users in the forums

Marvin Jones from Cal

Originally posted by vrabbit:
obviously as a Cal fan I'm a fan of this guy, but I also think he put himself on the map after a strong week of practice and game at the Senior Bowl - did he gain any fans after last week?

I hope he'd be available at the end of the 4th round if we haven't address the WR situation strongly by then - he was arguably the best route runner, high IQ, and good hands, good speed, comes from a Pro system, not much to dislike about the guy

After his senior bowl performance I kind of doubt he goes round 4, especially not if his combine time is halfway decent.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
obviously as a Cal fan I'm a fan of this guy, but I also think he put himself on the map after a strong week of practice and game at the Senior Bowl - did he gain any fans after last week?

I hope he'd be available at the end of the 4th round if we haven't address the WR situation strongly by then - he was arguably the best route runner, high IQ, and good hands, good speed, comes from a Pro system, not much to dislike about the guy

After his senior bowl performance I kind of doubt he goes round 4, especially not if his combine time is halfway decent.

well on my board he was a 5th rounder going into the Senior Bowl, and as good as his week was this is still a deep WR class so I don't think he jumped all the way to the 3rd round. Now, would he be there AT THE END of the 4th round? That's debatable, but moving up in the 4th for him wouldn't be as costly as moving up in the 1st for someone like Floyd or Wright.

IMO if he has a strong combine, he doesn't even need a freakish performance, he can definitely crack Day 2 in the third round
http://thenfldraftinsider.blogspot.com/2012/02/wnf-talks-with-cal-wr-marvin-jones.html

compares himself to Fitzgerald
I have season tickets to Cal and Marvin Jones always popped out to me as a pro receiver. So so many times he was wide open and the qb missed him by a frickin miles. The qb in 2011 is a blood line cousin to the other WR at Cal so more balls where tossed his way.

That being said I am a value person, would not consider Jones until rounds 4 or 5.
nnever seen him play so i cant give a good opinion on him
from everything ive seen (youtube) and heard he seems legit very bakances speed and size strength combo looks a lot like larry fitz in terms of speed agility and hands

came from pro style offense so thats a plus

getting wright in slot in 1st round then get marvin jones in 2nd as outside threat would be amaing draft
Even if we do nothing more than get a vet like Meachem and then draft M.J. in rd 3, that will be a huge boost to our offense.
weaknesses per different scouting reports

Didn't exactly dominate Pac-12 opponents, never had a 1,000 yard season and only had three touchdowns as a senior... Didn't have a single 100 yard performance against a BCS opponent this past year despite playing in every game... Surprisingly didn't have many big plays in college, only had two plays go for over 30 yards last year... Although he has good initial quickness, he lacks a second gear and defenders are able to close on him... Below-average as a run blocker, has a slim build and doesn't have the strength to stay engaged with defenders.Read more: http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/wr/marvin-jones/#ixzz1nWNjJdYx

Small frame – Not physical at the line of scrimmage, uses moves, not power to get separation – Limited strength limits his blocking – Mostly ran short quick routes his senior season and was limited by inaccurate QB play – Rarely explodes off the line – Overshadowed by teammate Keenan Allen at Cal – Doesn't have the strength to fight for the ball against more physical defenders. http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/01/marvin-jones-scouting-report.html

I gotta go so I could only come up with two, but if that's all the negatives on him, and after all the good he's shown during the pre-draft process so far, he's worked his way from the 5th round to the 3rd for me
Share 49ersWebzone