LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Is "Suck For Luck" dead?

Is "Suck For Luck" dead?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Luck is still the #1 overall pick. Question is: are teams still willing to give up everything in a trade for him. Is he still "the best QB to come out since Elway."?? He is probably the most pro ready QB to come out in a few years. But as a prospect RGIII is better, i'm sure there are teams quite content with drafting Barkley early and Landry Jones is probably still a top 20 pick as well. Is Luck more Matt Ryan then Peyton Manning?
Barkley and Robert Griffin 3rd can be just about as good IMO. Obviously the most pro ready is Luck. He may be the best. It's hard to bet against him. He has the least flaws right now. But Barkley is really accurate and has great pocket presense. I could see Barkley being a really good pro. To top it off he has a real strong arm. Griffin is a raw incredible athlete who has a good arm. But he will need some work and transition time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think "Suck for Luck" is dead, especially if Barkley, Jones and Griffin do declare.
it's dead b/c it's no longer a race. the colts are running away with the #1 pick. it's not dead b/c Luck is suddenly any less of a franchise QB.
Originally posted by oldtimer49er:
it's dead b/c it's no longer a race. the colts are running away with the #1 pick. it's not dead b/c Luck is suddenly any less of a franchise QB.

he definitally isnt a franchise saviour

he kind of dissapears against the better teams

luckily for him though no matter what team he goes to they will have enough talent for him to produce
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

luckily for him though no matter what team he goes to they will have enough talent for him to produce

Truly you can't be serious, his receivers drop tons of passes, and his defense gives him little to no help. I guarantee you Stanford won't be ranked in the top 15 next year when Luck leaves.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

he's had a rough stretch lately.

I don't agree that he disappears against better teams though. Orange Bowl disproves that statement.
i think it is to be honest...doesn't look like the second coming of peyton or elway IMO

could still have a really great career though no doubt
I have a weird feeling Harbaugh still sits up nights thinking how to acquire this guy. His stock dropping while Smith's is rising may be good for us long-term. Trade...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I have a weird feeling Harbaugh still sits up nights thinking how to acquire this guy. His stock dropping while Smith's is rising may be good for us long-term. Trade...

His stock isn't dropping

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i think it is to be honest...doesn't look like the second coming of peyton or elway IMO

could still have a really great career though no doubt

Why not?? Peyton Manning couldn't win the big game in college and he still went #1 overall.
It's now called lay a turd for griffin the third.
The only people who believed the whole suck for luck thing are fans that really don't know much about football. If you suck that bad then you are a team thats missing more than just a QB. You can argue about the Colts being good because Peyton but i don't think the Colts would have been good this year with Peyton. Sure they would have won more games but I think they'd be around .500 right now with Peyton.

Also players aren't going to be willing to suck just because the team wants to draft so and so. Many of those players won't be on that team and are pretty much auditioning for next year. If you were a vet and were in the final years of your career would you be willing to suck just so your team could draft someone?
Originally posted by Hopper:
His stock isn't dropping

I was at the Cal vs Stanford game. Three times receivers dropped catchable balls that would have been scores or big gains. He fakes better than any college qb and can make all of the throws.
Dont forget he is working with less talent than most QBs, and his top two receivers are out. He is as good as advertised....look at the big picture.

Nobody can say he will be the next Elway, but there isnt a team in need of a QB who would pass this up.
Share 49ersWebzone