There are 223 users in the forums

What position do we target in the first round next year?

Originally posted by Hopper:
Disagree because the Run D hasn't missed a beat with Sopoaga starting at NT.

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by strickac:
NT: We need a NT bad, IMO. Sopoaga gets no push in the middle. We need someone that can collapse the pocket on occasion.

FS/CB: More talent in the secondary would be nice. Carlos needs to get an extension. Goldson will possibly price himself out of our price range. With Fangio's aggressive style, he'll be looking for athletic playmakers in the secondary, similar to the Packers D.

WR: Ginn is a Returner, not a WR. We could use some more talent there. I expect Braylon to have a big impact when he returns, but I'm skeptical that the team resigns him. Crabs and Morgan are solid #2s, IMO. Williams needs to stay healthy and get on the field. He has some nice speed and good hands. We lack depth and speed at the position.

OLB: Fangio likes pass rushers and we're seeing Haralson less and less. There's not much depth behind Brooks and Aldon. We could really use another pass rusher to add to the rotation.

RB: Dixon doesn't seem to fit in with the longterm plan. I think the team will look for another guy to fall to the mid-late rounds.

Disagree because the Run D hasn't missed a beat with Sopoaga starting at NT.

Run D hasn't been a problem for years, mainly because we've had such a lack of pass rushers. If our defense lacks anything, it's the ability to stop great passing teams. If we had a NT that was able to generate pressure, than it just makes things that much easier for the OLBs and in turn, the secondary. When I watch Sopoaga on pass plays, he usually stands straight up at the snap and plays pattycake with the OC/OG. He just stands his ground and waits/hopes for the play to come to him. He's better than that, but I just don't see it in the passing game. I have no complaints with his run D.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Run D hasn't been a problem for years, mainly because we've had such a lack of pass rushers. If our defense lacks anything, it's the ability to stop great passing teams. If we had a NT that was able to generate pressure, than it just makes things that much easier for the OLBs and in turn, the secondary. When I watch Sopoaga on pass plays, he usually stands straight up at the snap and plays pattycake with the OC/OG. He just stands his ground and waits/hopes for the play to come to him. He's better than that, but I just don't see it in the passing game. I have no complaints with his run D.

Most 3-4 NT's don't generate a lot of pressure. In fact only two 3-4 NT's I can think of that are good at generating pressure are Jay Ratliff and BJ Raji. But priority number one for 3-4 NT's is always being stout against the run. You can simply rotate Sop out on third downs for more pass rush and that's exactly what Fangio does.
Defensive line depth
I think the order should go something like this:

WR
CB
WR
CB
S

But then again, we should always draft the BPA-MLB
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I think the order should go something like this:

WR
CB
WR
CB
S

But then again, we should always draft the BPA-MLB

I couldn't disagree more. I'd probably go

CB
S
OL
DL
WIDE RECEIVER. This guy has amazing awareness and would be perfect for our system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyI5RtCsD8A
Its gotta be CB or WR if there is a FAST game changers available. No more slow #3 wr's on our team, all we have is a bunch of #3's
Originally posted by valrod33:
WR or Cornerback

Yep.
WR or Cornerback

WR is the strength of the team, CB is #1 then NT and RG
  • titan
  • Veteran
Best available WR or CB to improve skill and speed.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Its gotta be CB or WR if there is a FAST game changers available. No more slow #3 wr's on our team, all we have is a bunch of #3's

Could not agree more.

The only thing this team really lacks is speed at the wr postion. I don't count Ginn cause of the hands or lack thereof.

Don't care what round we find one in, maybe Jim and Blaake can find a gem in the 2nd or 3rd but we have to get one to completely open up the O next year.
said it in the beginning of the year and still stand by it

CB

if a CB is not worthy then FS or possibly WR

if none are available then trade back
I'd say a top notch CB.. Brown is really a Nickleback/3 rd. CB, I know he's playing decent, but I'd relegate him back to his former role and draft the best CB available. Spencer looks like he's the odd man out so we draft his replacement. I still think we need a dominante and versatile FB/TE type guy, and a NT/DL type as well.
BPA but probably not an MLB or TE though.

If we get a good deal then Id be all for trading out of the first too.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
WR or Cornerback

WR is the strength of the team, CB is #1 then NT and RG

Strength of which team? Not the Niners
Share 49ersWebzone