LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

What position do we target in the first round next year?

Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For the first time I am happy to say.........BPA........All the way.

(minus MLB)

What about TE or RB or OT?

TE = Walker is good, but he could be upgraded. I'd like a TE with a big lengthy body for the Red Zone. Davis is great between the 20s, but he is horrible after the catch and his speed is nollified in the red zone.

RB = I think you have to work under the assumption that ever season is Franks last. If a stud RB is there, you have to take him. Even if Hunter is the real deal, Two to three headed mosters is the way to go in the NFL.

OT: Neither of our OTs are beyond being upgraded. Staley could be great trade bait to a desperate team. Let the noob and Davis duke it out for the LT postion.
id say LB

we dont have any depth at that position
boom scenario.... What if when we pick Vontaze Burfict is still available.... Do we pick him and put him at LOLB?? What a linebacking corps that would be!!! Aldon, NaVorro, Patrick, then Vontaze!
we need to get a defensive back in the mold of ed reed or earl thomas..... somebody that is going to get ints.
make the other teams offensive afraid to throw the ball to their side of the field like revis or somebody like that.
that would be real nice.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
we need to get a defensive back in the mold of ed reed or earl thomas..... somebody that is going to get ints.
make the other teams offensive afraid to throw the ball to their side of the field like revis or somebody like that.
that would be real nice.

agree
im starting to lean towards best WR available in the 1st
then best CB available in the 2nd
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

I think we would be better off doing the opposite, CB in 1st and then a WR in the 2nd. But I do I agree that both positions should be addressed in the first 3 rounds.
One thing that I would like to just throw out their is the idea of using our 1st on drafting David DeCastro OG Stanford. Even though we have invested a lot of high round picks in OL recently (Staley,Iupati,Davis) I still wouldn't mind getting a guy like DeCastro in order to solidify the line and turn it into a dominant force. I am just saying that a line of Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, DeCastro, and Davis would be ridiculous! Other teams DC's would have no choice but to rush at least 5 guys in order to provide an adequate pass rush.

Don't get me wrong CB and WR are positions of need but a dominate OG like DeCastro would have to at least be a temptation for Baalke on draft day. After all if Culliver continues to develop and we resign Rogers we aren't exactly hurting at CB. And as for WR I expect us to extend Edwards and Morgan. Another big question is whether we plan on bringing back Goldson? If we let him walk than we might have to consider a FS in the 1st. I would be surprised if we use a 1st rounder on a QB. An OLB to pair with Aldon Smith would have to be something to consider as well, not that Ahmad Brooks isn't doing just fine but some added depth at OLB wouldn't hurt. Besides Brooks pass rushing ability leaves a little to be desired. Just some early speculation.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

I think we would be better off doing the opposite, CB in 1st and then a WR in the 2nd. But I do I agree that both positions should be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

id be fine with either way
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
boom scenario.... What if when we pick Vontaze Burfict is still available.... Do we pick him and put him at LOLB?? What a linebacking corps that would be!!! Aldon, NaVorro, Patrick, then Vontaze!

id fap to that

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Assuming we resign Brooks, Ginn, Goldson, and Rogers...

I'd think we could trade our 1st round pick for a 2nd and 3rd, and use those picks on the following:

2nd: RG (Replacement for Rachal, Snyder is swing interior OL)

2nd: WR (Potential Replacement for Edwards)

3rd: CB/FS (Replaces M. Williams)

3rd: DE/OLB (Depth at Pass Rusher, long-term replacement for Haralson)
bpa
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

id fap to that

In terms of BPA I'd rather take Courtney Upshaw who is viewed a 3-4 OLB anyway. He's almost physically identical to Smith with a "normal" wingspan of 75inches compared to 83inches. I'd rather have to edge rushers like that who could put their hands in the dirt and get by tackles with ease. If he is on the board I would be stoked for us to get him.

After that I would hope we target WR in round 1 primarily Jeffery or Fuller but I'd settle for Criner.

However on possibility of us not resign Ginn or Morgan I would really look at Keshawn Martin from MSU, Jermaine Kearse from Washington, Kendall Wright from Baylor and of course Chris Owusu from Stanford.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
In terms of BPA I'd rather take Courtney Upshaw who is viewed a 3-4 OLB anyway. He's almost physically identical to Smith with a "normal" wingspan of 75inches compared to 83inches. I'd rather have to edge rushers like that who could put their hands in the dirt and get by tackles with ease. If he is on the board I would be stoked for us to get him.

After that I would hope we target WR in round 1 primarily Jeffery or Fuller but I'd settle for Criner.

However on possibility of us not resign Ginn or Morgan I would really look at Keshawn Martin from MSU, Jermaine Kearse from Washington, Kendall Wright from Baylor and of course Chris Owusu from Stanford.

Jeffrey and Fuller are on my list too, but if we cant get them, I was thinking we go for Dwight Jones from UNC, Greg Childs from Arkansas or Brian Quick from App. St. . I just watched some film on Criner though and he looks good. They're all 6'4 and 215+
A couple factors play into this. 1. Which of our free agents have we resigned by draft day? 2. What positions have depth in free agency? 3. What positions are we targeting thru the draft?

Resign
CB Rogers
FS Goldson
WR Edwards
WR Morgan
WR/KR Ginn

If we resign those players I think we should draft a CB or an OG/OC 1st. If we dont resign rogers, CB is a no brainer. Our LT Staley isnt a Pro Bowl guy but solid longterm starter. RT Davis is only 21-22 years old. Not time to give up on him yet. We don't need a 1st round TE or RB, our front 7 is legit, depth in later rounds will suffice.
Share 49ersWebzone