There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What position do we target in the first round next year?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 9rFan84:
I'm still sticking with WR. Harbaugh mentioned signing Morgan was a priority, but Edwards and Ginn are in contract seasons as well. Chances are we will lose at least one of them. The depth at WR is not very deep, and there isn't a strong FA list after the season.

I understand why everyone says CB, especially with Rogers on a 1yr deal. But I think he will be a priority as well for the team to resign. And if Cully keeps his play up, he can be a starter next season. Depth isn't deep here as well, but I feel the team can draft a CB in the 2nd.

Rogers will be a priority to sign, Spencer hasn't been healthy and also inconsistent and Culliver is still learning the position and I don't believe starting material yet. If Minnifield or Dennard fall to us, we need to take one of them. I'd say WR would be a solid option in the 2nd round perhaps Dwight Jones or Jeff Fuller. I'm pretty confident Morgan and Edwards will be back, not sure about Ginn.

I hope Edwards comes back and I see your point. I guess at the end of the day, CB and WR should be taken early. But don't sleep on Culliver, dude is a beast.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm still sticking with WR. Harbaugh mentioned signing Morgan was a priority, but Edwards and Ginn are in contract seasons as well. Chances are we will lose at least one of them. The depth at WR is not very deep, and there isn't a strong FA list after the season.

I understand why everyone says CB, especially with Rogers on a 1yr deal. But I think he will be a priority as well for the team to resign. And if Cully keeps his play up, he can be a starter next season. Depth isn't deep here as well, but I feel the team can draft a CB in the 2nd.

Rogers will be a priority to sign, Spencer hasn't been healthy and also inconsistent and Culliver is still learning the position and I don't believe starting material yet. If Minnifield or Dennard fall to us, we need to take one of them. I'd say WR would be a solid option in the 2nd round perhaps Dwight Jones or Jeff Fuller. I'm pretty confident Morgan and Edwards will be back, not sure about Ginn.

I hope Edwards comes back and I see your point. I guess at the end of the day, CB and WR should be taken early. But don't sleep on Culliver, dude is a beast.

Culliver is good, but even if we draft someoen good in the first round, then we have an awesome culliver to be our nickel CB, then our defense would be hella stout.
BTW I think ginn will leave to chase money, and so will braylon.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
CB, OT, OG

And I said it the last 2-3 years, we need to draft justin smith's replacement, who knows how long he can hold up his awesome play. Also draft another RB, Dixon is good off teh bench but probably not starter quality, we need another back on the roster.

Why can't RJF be Smith's replacement?
I can easily see us getting Chase Minniefield in the 1st round; and Nick Toon in the 2nd round
Talking about Blood lines
How about 1st round Jeff Fuller 2nd round TJ McDonald 3rd round Desmond Trufant (That is kinda playfull but it would be a great draft)
[ Edited by Orlando49erfan on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I really think we should take two CB's in this upcoming draft.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
BPA is a luxury we now have. However, you can never have too many:

pass rushers.

Shutdown corners in a passing league is always a priority.

Depth at WR/TE in a passing league is a priority. Just look at Green Bay. When Finley went down last year they hardly missed a beat.

Depth at DL. Cowboy won't last forever. 6 DL to rotate.
If there is one team in the nfl who could afford to trade a lot, say the entire draft for Andrew Luck, it would be the niners because of their sheer depth. However I do not believe Harbaugh would do that. In some ways though it might make sense in that there are not many spots open for a full draft and most of their guys are young. If their needs are few then trading up for a top player or qb may be smart or trading for future picks. It seems ironic that we might need to get rid of a pretty good qb if we drafted Luck. It only seemed last week we had no qbs worth keeping.
WR for shure.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
We need depth on the defensive line.
We might need a receiver.
We need a corner back.
We might need a quarterback.
We need a center.
CB and WR early. DL, OL, and safety mid rounds.
Originally posted by Chief:
We need depth on the defensive line.
We might need a receiver.
We need a corner back.
We might need a quarterback.
We need a center.

Yes, and you can never have enough pass rushers. Or O linemen.

Or, to summarise, BPA!!
CB/ball hawk FS are the top two needs. I think tomsula can groom Dobbs behind J.Smith, 3-4 DE isn't a big need imo.

I think B.Edwards/Brooks(Of course Alex will as well) and Rogers re-sign.
Originally posted by strickac:
NT: We need a NT bad, IMO. Sopoaga gets no push in the middle. We need someone that can collapse the pocket on occasion.

FS/CB: More talent in the secondary would be nice. Carlos needs to get an extension. Goldson will possibly price himself out of our price range. With Fangio's aggressive style, he'll be looking for athletic playmakers in the secondary, similar to the Packers D.

WR: Ginn is a Returner, not a WR. We could use some more talent there. I expect Braylon to have a big impact when he returns, but I'm skeptical that the team resigns him. Crabs and Morgan are solid #2s, IMO. Williams needs to stay healthy and get on the field. He has some nice speed and good hands. We lack depth and speed at the position.

OLB: Fangio likes pass rushers and we're seeing Haralson less and less. There's not much depth behind Brooks and Aldon. We could really use another pass rusher to add to the rotation.

RB: Dixon doesn't seem to fit in with the longterm plan. I think the team will look for another guy to fall to the mid-late rounds.

Disagree because the Run D hasn't missed a beat with Sopoaga starting at NT.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by strickac:
NT: We need a NT bad, IMO. Sopoaga gets no push in the middle. We need someone that can collapse the pocket on occasion.

FS/CB: More talent in the secondary would be nice. Carlos needs to get an extension. Goldson will possibly price himself out of our price range. With Fangio's aggressive style, he'll be looking for athletic playmakers in the secondary, similar to the Packers D.

WR: Ginn is a Returner, not a WR. We could use some more talent there. I expect Braylon to have a big impact when he returns, but I'm skeptical that the team resigns him. Crabs and Morgan are solid #2s, IMO. Williams needs to stay healthy and get on the field. He has some nice speed and good hands. We lack depth and speed at the position.

OLB: Fangio likes pass rushers and we're seeing Haralson less and less. There's not much depth behind Brooks and Aldon. We could really use another pass rusher to add to the rotation.

RB: Dixon doesn't seem to fit in with the longterm plan. I think the team will look for another guy to fall to the mid-late rounds.

Disagree because the Run D hasn't missed a beat with Sopoaga starting at NT.
True but he's saying that we never see the pocket collapse because of a great middle push. He's big enough to stuff the run but doesn't have the motor to push guys backwards. The best NT's in the league have incredibly quick feet, soap doesn't.
[ Edited by mike on Oct 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
CB/ball hawk FS are the top two needs. I think tomsula can groom Dobbs behind J.Smith, 3-4 DE isn't a big need imo.

I think B.Edwards/Brooks(Of course Alex will as well) and Rogers re-sign.

and Ted Ginn. Damn, we have five players to resign....
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home