LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

What position do we target in the first round next year?

Michael Floyd! Once Braylon leaves we'll draft Floyd and have Floyd AND Crabs at wideout! Now that's the Dream Team!
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Never take a 1st round WR - my opinion. So many stats that say most 1st round WRs become bust more often than any position. I say go CB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6396194

Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Roddy White
Jeremy Maclin
Dwayne Bowe
Anquan Boldin
AJ Green
Reggie Wayne
Kenny Britt
Santonio Holmes

All 1st round picks

Um, Boldin was picked in round two.
C, CB, DE, WR.

Konz, Crick, Claiborne, and Floyd are all guys I would LOVE to have play for the 49ers.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Michael Floyd! Once Braylon leaves we'll draft Floyd and have Floyd AND Crabs at wideout! Now that's the Dream Team!

I agree with everyone saying CB or WR. I am in the camp that would prefer a WR over a CB. I would probably put my early board like this:

1. Michael Floyd - I don't expect Braylon back and we need more out of the position. I like Crab, but I don't see him being anything more than a #2 possesion receiver. We need a true # 1 receiver.

2. Alfonzo Dennard - Despite my prefrence for a Wr the value will probably shift to CB here. Dennard is very good and has outperformed Prince Amukamara at times , while he was at Nebaraska, who of-course was the NY Giants 1st round pick this year.

3. Chase Minnifeild - As with above the value will most likely not be with the WR's at this point. Chase comes from a D known for being physical and has the size the Niners like from their CB's.

4. Dwight Jones, Greg Childs, Jeff Fuller - I think the value switches back to WR at this point, and we would take whoever we have ranked the highest.

Oh, and btw, be carefull with that "Dream Team" talk. Look what it did to the Eagles.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

I agree with everyone saying CB or WR. I am in the camp that would prefer a WR over a CB. I would probably put my early board like this:

1. Michael Floyd - I don't expect Braylon back and we need more out of the position. I like Crab, but I don't see him being anything more than a #2 possesion receiver. We need a true # 1 receiver.

2. Alfonzo Dennard - Despite my prefrence for a Wr the value will probably shift to CB here. Dennard is very good and has outperformed Prince Amukamara at times , while he was at Nebaraska, who of-course was the NY Giants 1st round pick this year.

3. Chase Minnifeild - As with above the value will most likely not be with the WR's at this point. Chase comes from a D known for being physical and has the size the Niners like from their CB's.

4. Dwight Jones, Greg Childs, Jeff Fuller - I think the value switches back to WR at this point, and we would take whoever we have ranked the highest.

Oh, and btw, be carefull with that "Dream Team" talk. Look what it did to the Eagles.

I also like Justin Blackmon outta Okey State but I doubt he'll be around when we pick.... The guy who I think is being WAAAAY overhyped though is Alshon Jefferey outta SCAR I just don't see IT from him.... I don't see the Calvin Johnson comparisons, other than they have similar builds....
If we lock down Rogers do we even need a corner anymore? why not go for a WR or a S?
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
If we lock down Rogers do we even need a corner anymore? why not go for a WR or a S?

isnt rogers like 31? corners are a physically demanding position. I would at least consider looking at a corner esp. with all the solid ones potentially coming out in the upcoming draft.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

isnt rogers like 31? corners are a physically demanding position. I would at least consider looking at a corner esp. with all the solid ones potentially coming out in the upcoming draft.

Yeah, I definitely think we need another corner. As solid as Rogers has been, imagine how good he'd be as a #2 . Think about the Eagles with Nnamdi, Samuel, and DRC or the Jets with Revis and Cromartie. If we put those kinds of resources into our secondary, combined with the talent we are already fortunate enough to have in the front 7, we would literally be terrifying.

Spencer has been around for years and has been perpetually mediocre. Brown has never really emerged. I really want to build a CB group around Culliver, Rogers, and a new blue-chip prospect from this year's first round. Once Rogers is past his prime, we still have a high-end #1 and a high-end #2 in Culliver and we can worry about depth and reloading along the way.
Originally posted by tankle104:
some of you guys are forgetting we drafted daniel kilgore for the right guard position

As a starter or for depth? That is the question...
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Um, Boldin was picked in round two.

Good knowledge....

BPA
  • buck
  • Veteran
At this point it is hard to know what our team needs will be.

We still need to see what the rest of the season brings, and then free agency

My guess will be wide receiver, defensive back, and one more OLB.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
As a starter or for depth? That is the question...

Hard to tell unless he gets a chance to play, but ideally a 4th round pick isn't just depth. He looked pretty good in preseason.
We've got a good nucleus. I think best player available will really apply next draft. I wouldn't be surprised with any of the following:

1.) Cornerback/Safety: You can never have too many defensive backs, especially in a passing league where teams are running 3+ WRs. We've got decent cornerbacks, and I'm sure we'll try really hard to get Carlos Rogers back, because he's having a great season. I'm sure we'll try to find a shutdown cornerback next year with a lot of speed.

2.) Wide Receiver: Depending on if Braylon Edwards and/or Michael Crabtree this year show they can be our #1 WR, I'm sure that if we have a WR in the late first that we like, we won't hesitate to pick him. But with our early-season WR injury troubles, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring someone in.

3.) Pass-rusher: We've got Aldon Smith. We've got Justin Smith. We've got good edge-rushers in Ahmad Brooks and Parys Haralson. We've got a great pass-rush. But I'm sure the thought of turning a "great pass-rush" into an "elite pass-rush" has Vic Fangio salivating.

4.) Offensive/Defensive Linemen: We should always be improving the trenches. We've invested heavy in the offensive line, but nothing wrong with another guard to compete with Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder... And at the defensive line, nothing wrong with bringing in a guy to have him rotate with Smith, Sopoaga, and McDonald.

5.) Quarterback: Alex Smith has played well this season, but there's always the chance that we don't bring him back next season. If that's the case, we're left with a Kaepernick and Tolzien. It just depends on what Coach Harbaugh sees in their development, and what happens to Alex Smith for the rest of this season.
CB, Safety, OG in the first couple rounds. We need some WR's too. OLB for depth.
Share 49ersWebzone