LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 334 users in the forums

What position do we target in the first round next year?

Receiver or Pass Rush. I'd love to get a slot receiver in the mold of Welker. I'd also love to have two Aldon Smiths.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Never take a 1st round WR - my opinion. So many stats that say most 1st round WRs become bust more often than any position. I say go CB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6396194

Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Roddy White
Jeremy Maclin
Dwayne Bowe
Anquan Boldin
AJ Green
Reggie Wayne
Kenny Britt
Santonio Holmes

All 1st round picks

I'd take every one of those guys (except for Holmes) in the first round.

You forgot Jerry Rice.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For the first time I am happy to say.........BPA........All the way.

(minus MLB)

What about TE or RB or OT?
I assume we'll be picking well into the bottom third of the draft, but in the first round Id' say we could go with BPA at any position but QB (unless it's crazy value), TE, OT or ILB. Anything else is fair game IMO.
some of you guys are forgetting we drafted daniel kilgore for the right guard position
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For the first time I am happy to say.........BPA........All the way.

(minus MLB)

What about TE or RB or OT?

See post # 27.
See post # 27.

You don't take a RB in the first round in 2012 to take over in 2014 or 2015. RB's don't need seasoning. You can draft one the same year you need the replacement.
See post # 27.

You don't take a RB in the first round in 2012 to take over in 2014 or 2015. RB's don't need seasoning. You can draft one the same year you need the replacement.

You do if he's clearly the BPA.
I don't think we need a WR. A lot of Zoners are excited about the Round 1 talent at the position, but I think between Edwards and Crabtree we have a very strong top 2. We could use some depth, especially if Morgan leaves and Ginn's value is limited to ST, but that need can be served in the middle rounds and FA. Also, of course, we're one of the few teams with an elite TE.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I don't think we need a WR. A lot of Zoners are excited about the Round 1 talent at the position, but I think between Edwards and Crabtree we have a very strong top 2. We could use some depth, especially if Morgan leaves and Ginn's value is limited to ST, but that need can be served in the middle rounds and FA. Also, of course, we're one of the few teams with an elite TE.

Assuming we re-sign Edwards.

NT: We need a NT bad, IMO. Sopoaga gets no push in the middle. We need someone that can collapse the pocket on occasion.

FS/CB: More talent in the secondary would be nice. Carlos needs to get an extension. Goldson will possibly price himself out of our price range. With Fangio's aggressive style, he'll be looking for athletic playmakers in the secondary, similar to the Packers D.

WR: Ginn is a Returner, not a WR. We could use some more talent there. I expect Braylon to have a big impact when he returns, but I'm skeptical that the team resigns him. Crabs and Morgan are solid #2s, IMO. Williams needs to stay healthy and get on the field. He has some nice speed and good hands. We lack depth and speed at the position.

OLB: Fangio likes pass rushers and we're seeing Haralson less and less. There's not much depth behind Brooks and Aldon. We could really use another pass rusher to add to the rotation.

RB: Dixon doesn't seem to fit in with the longterm plan. I think the team will look for another guy to fall to the mid-late rounds.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Assuming we re-sign Edwards.
Yeah and edwards made a statement I think it was during the slander lawsuit of the restaurant that claimed that he got in a fight there, about how upset he was that he had to take a huge pay cut and go to the niners.

I just think if he finishes off the year strong he'll get some money offers bigger than what the niners might throw at him, and because of the money he lost this year he's going to take it and run.

So obviously it's too early to tell what our situation is going to look like at the end of the year, but WR ranks up there considering crabtree's foot issues and the fact that he hasn't become the elite guy we've hoped he'd become, morgan's season ending injury, ginn's stone hands...

i would be happy as hell if we get him.
[ Edited by gold49digger on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Chase Minnifield or Alfonzo Dennard in the 1st.
Originally posted by midrdan:
You forgot Jerry Rice.

and moss
Share 49ersWebzone