Brock Osweiler

Looks like he'll be declaring.

I bet SDN will not be happy about this
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

are you serious? Link it if you can, he's only played 1 year, declaring right now would be lunacy unless he is looking to cash in on Barkley and Jones staying in school. I would say he runs a 4.65 because of his long strides.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Bad decision.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2012/01/05/20120105asu-football-brock-osweiler-nfl-draft.html
lets use him as a RZ WR
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I mean, he's tall. So that means he MUST be a good red zone receiver.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Bad decision.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2012/01/05/20120105asu-football-brock-osweiler-nfl-draft.html

Wow.......I really like the kid but he really needs another year in college. I bet he gets picked in the 3rd or 4th round and rides the bench for his whole rookie contract.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
A 3rd round selection for him would be fortunate. But I don't know how he grades out as a prospect. I can only go by what I saw over the last two years. My untrained eye says he needs another year.

Though, I'll save any hate on his decision for later. We don't know the details. He could have been told he wasn't a fit for the new HC's system. ASU does have many quality options at QB.
[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
A 3rd round selection for him would be fortunate. But I don't know how he grades out as a prospect. I can only go by what I saw over the last two years. My untrained eye says he needs another year.

Though, I'll save any hate on his decision for later. We don't know the details. He could have been told he wasn't a fit for the new HC's system. ASU does have many quality options at QB.

Who else do they have? Actually interests me because of my Utes and their chances in the PAC-12 South next year.

Guess we'll have to wait and see about the details.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Eubanks was a decent recruit out of California last year. Scouts described him as a Cam Newton Jr. Obviously not at that level, but a dual threat with a strong arm.

ASU also has T.J. Millweard verbally committed. Who knows if that'll last through the coaching transition. He is a high-ranked four star QB. ESPN currently has him as the #6 QB in the country.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Eubanks was a decent recruit out of California last year. Scouts described him as a Cam Newton Jr. Obviously not at that level, but a dual threat with a strong arm.

ASU also has T.J. Millweard verbally committed. Who knows if that'll last through the coaching transition. He is a high-ranked four star QB. ESPN currently has him as the #6 QB in the country.

Damn.....I wish the Utes would land a star QB.....

Well actually what just clicked for me is that both of ASU's top 2 WRs are seniors so he's probably jumping while he has the chance.

Yeah, rumors on the message boards is that Cam Newton (Will be a RS-FR) was going to get a serious look to compete, our head coach heavily recruited him at Pitt and apparently wants to run a system built around a dual threat QB.

Michael Bercovici (will be soph) also has one hell of an arm.
The more I watched him the worse I think he is. Just awful on field awarness and accuracy.

I'm VERY dissapointed with Oz. I look at this as him quitting on the school and the program. My honest opinion of Oz is he is over rated by a lot of casual fans that haven't seen him a lot. A lot of his production was the result of the system.

One of our JUCO recruits who enrolled early announced on his twitter that a lot of ASU players are upset with the new coaching regime and are b***hing and complaining. Basically Graham is starting to discipline the program and took the TV's out of the locker room (gasp!).

I'd compare his announcement to that of DT Lawrence Guy. Another talented player but never showed consistency and left early with too many question marks on his career. Guy thought he would be a 3rd-4th rounder and completely slipped in the draft (not to my surprise, his frosh year was his best year).

My scouting report on him:
Arm Strength: B+, You would expect that with his size he would have cannon, but not quite. I would say his arm strength is pretty good but not great.
Release: C-, Despite his height, he was able to shorten his release. Still, compared to the release of NFL QBs, takes far too long to deliver. He will he scrutinized a great deal in workouts on if he can shorten his release even further.
Accuracy: B+, Good accuracy, displayed the ability to get the ball in small and tight windows, able to hit a variety of routes and even shows good accuracy on mid range to deep throws.
Footwork: A, Displays great footwork of planting before he throws and shifting his weight, he is also good enough to plant his feet while on the scramble to get good velocity when he is on the move. He is very mobile and agile, light on his feet.
Athleticism: B, He compares to Roethlisburger. He has surprising speed and isn't afraid of contact. He is capable enough for occassional sprints to pick up the 1st down and move the chains.
IQ: D-, Pretty low, the guy got a tattoo on his arm with incorrect grammar (and it wasn't on purpose). He lost the QB battle with Threet his sophmore year because he was so slow in picking up the system and basically tried to go out and act like a gun slinger. He will struggle picking up NFL playbooks. He consistently threw into coverage. On almost every play I've seen him he locks onto recievers.
Poise: C-, Poor, he is easily rattled by pressure and takes his eyes away from downfield. Often when he is under pressure he will began to scramble instead of using the pocket to buy time. Often disappear in the 4th quarter.

I'd compare him to a more athletic Flacco with less in the mental department. I think it was a major mistake not to return for his senior year because I think when his film is analyzed, it will really jump out to scouts that he is pretty terrible at going through his progressions, doesn't read D's very well and often forces throws. He will be a development project at the NFL level.

Overall: 5th -6th rounder, with a danger of going undrafted if he can't show a quick release in his workouts.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The more I watched him the worse I think he is. Just awful on field awarness and accuracy.

I think he is pretty accurate and is putting the ball where he wants to. Its more of an issue of his mental makeup IMO.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I'm VERY dissapointed with Oz. I look at this as him quitting on the school and the program. My honest opinion of Oz is he is over rated by a lot of casual fans that haven't seen him a lot. A lot of his production was the result of the system.

One of our JUCO recruits who enrolled early announced on his twitter that a lot of ASU players are upset with the new coaching regime and are b***hing and complaining. Basically Graham is starting to discipline the program and took the TV's out of the locker room (gasp!).

I'd compare his announcement to that of DT Lawrence Guy. Another talented player but never showed consistency and left early with too many question marks on his career. Guy thought he would be a 3rd-4th rounder and completely slipped in the draft (not to my surprise, his frosh year was his best year).

My scouting report on him:
Arm Strength: B+, You would expect that with his size he would have cannon, but not quite. I would say his arm strength is pretty good but not great.
Release: C-, Despite his height, he was able to shorten his release. Still, compared to the release of NFL QBs, takes far too long to deliver. He will he scrutinized a great deal in workouts on if he can shorten his release even further.
Accuracy: B+, Good accuracy, displayed the ability to get the ball in small and tight windows, able to hit a variety of routes and even shows good accuracy on mid range to deep throws.
Footwork: A, Displays great footwork of planting before he throws and shifting his weight, he is also good enough to plant his feet while on the scramble to get good velocity when he is on the move. He is very mobile and agile, light on his feet.
Athleticism: B, He compares to Roethlisburger. He has surprising speed and isn't afraid of contact. He is capable enough for occassional sprints to pick up the 1st down and move the chains.
IQ: D-, Pretty low, the guy got a tattoo on his arm with incorrect grammar (and it wasn't on purpose). He lost the QB battle with Threet his sophmore year because he was so slow in picking up the system and basically tried to go out and act like a gun slinger. He will struggle picking up NFL playbooks. He consistently threw into coverage. On almost every play I've seen him he locks onto recievers.
Poise: C-, Poor, he is easily rattled by pressure and takes his eyes away from downfield. Often when he is under pressure he will began to scramble instead of using the pocket to buy time. Often disappear in the 4th quarter.

I'd compare him to a more athletic Flacco with less in the mental department. I think it was a major mistake not to return for his senior year because I think when his film is analyzed, it will really jump out to scouts that he is pretty terrible at going through his progressions, doesn't read D's very well and often forces throws. He will be a development project at the NFL level.

Overall: 5th -6th rounder, with a danger of going undrafted if he can't show a quick release in his workouts.

thanks for the scouting report, so you're saying he's on the edge of being a Jamarcus Russell?

I ABSOLUTELY fell like he had no business declaring this year, not sure what was the worse decision, him or Stephen Hill coming out of Georgia Tech
Share 49ersWebzone