There are 230 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Da'Quan Bowers finished?

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Reports are he needs micro-fracture surgery. I am not aware of any player who has ever played at a high level after micro-fracture.

Garrison Hearst

I don't think Hearst ever had microfracture.

Quote:
At the same time, microfracture continues to become important in the NFL. We have been reminded of that so far this season as Tubbs, Kellen Winslow, Jeremy Newberry, Amon Gordon and Matt Lepsis have all returned or attempted to return from the procedure. (Jacksonville's Marcus Stroud is another notable player returning from microfracture, though in this case the procedure was on his ankle, not on the knee as with the vast majority of patients.) Meanwhile, Dallas receiver Terry Glenn decided against a microfracture that would have ended his season and possibly his career, opting instead to try another arthroscopy on his right knee

From Football Outsiders

When searched on Wiki this list shows which doesn;t contain Hearst
Wiki search

Also a google search with the words "microfracture hearst" and "micro fracture hearst" return 0 results with Garrison Hearst.

If I remember correctly his condition was a blood flow issue and not a tissue issue. Microfracture is drilling holes into a bone to create scare tissue that mimmicks cartilage, if memory serves.
There is nothing worse than seeing a talented player's career curtailed by injury, especially at the beginning. I think back to the early 70's and Greg Cook, he was coached by Bill Walsh in Cincinnati and had it all. Coach Walsh called him Montana before Montana. He averaged 17 yards per completion that first year. Midway through his rookie year he was smashed into the turf against KC and his career for all purposes was over.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
A lot of people said the same thing about Gore pre and post-draft. Don't discount people's will to succeed, even in the face of physical injury.

yup, that's exactly why Gore fell so far in the draft. He was looked at as "first round talent"

That's not completely true. The injuries to Gore were related more to the longevity of his career, not capability. He dropped because since he was always injured in college, he never really showed THAT much. So, there were durability concerns and doubts about many years he could play.

With Bowers, it's different. He had one good year, and his injuries suggest that he will never regain his explosion to begin with. So, with this threat of never playing again, and on top of that "was he a one year wonder?", he dropped.

Different in my opinion

Yes, the concerns with Gore were longevity. Skill wise he had a 9 yard rushing average as a freshman at miami so everyone knew he was a gamer.
Im pretty sure Reggie Bush had microfracture as well.

IMO pre draft injury concerns are wayyyyyyy over blown.

You are always one play away from retirement in the NFL, its a year to year, game to game, play to play league. If the guy can play you want him on your team period.
And one year wonder is completely wrong because the kid was the number one rated player in high school. I remember him DOMINATING the all american army bowl or whatever they call it.

Tampa Bay has pretty much turned their team around with their so called risky drafting by taking players with injury concerns or character concerns ie Cadillac Williams. Of course they dont always work out ie Talib but for the most part it is the best way to draft if you are talent bankrupt. The also took a big risk taking Freeman in the first round because he wasnt a slam dunk like he is now or how i thought he was from the beginning.
Originally posted by allday:
And one year wonder is completely wrong because the kid was the number one rated player in high school. I remember him DOMINATING the all american army bowl or whatever they call it.

Tampa Bay has pretty much turned their team around with their so called risky drafting by taking players with injury concerns or character concerns ie Cadillac Williams. Of course they dont always work out ie Talib but for the most part it is the best way to draft if you are talent bankrupt. The also took a big risk taking Freeman in the first round because he wasnt a slam dunk like he is now or how i thought he was from the beginning.

Originally posted by allday:
Im pretty sure Reggie Bush had microfracture as well.

IMO pre draft injury concerns are wayyyyyyy over blown.

You are always one play away from retirement in the NFL, its a year to year, game to game, play to play league. If the guy can play you want him on your team period.

Reggie Bush did not have microfracture or anything close to that serious. Learn what you are posting about before you do, microfracture is no joke.

Jeremy Newberry was a probowl and elite C for your San Fransisco 49'ers who was just entering his prime and a shell of his former self after microfracture. In most cases it is a last ditch effort and a career killing surgery.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Reports are he needs micro-fracture surgery. I am not aware of any player who has ever played at a high level after micro-fracture.

Amare Stoudemire. Advantage, me.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
A lot of people said the same thing about Gore pre and post-draft. Don't discount people's will to succeed, even in the face of physical injury.

yup, that's exactly why Gore fell so far in the draft. He was looked at as "first round talent"

That's not completely true. The injuries to Gore were related more to the longevity of his career, not capability. He dropped because since he was always injured in college, he never really showed THAT much. So, there were durability concerns and doubts about many years he could play.

With Bowers, it's different. He had one good year, and his injuries suggest that he will never regain his explosion to begin with. So, with this threat of never playing again, and on top of that "was he a one year wonder?", he dropped.

Different in my opinion

Yes, the concerns with Gore were longevity. Skill wise he had a 9 yard rushing average as a freshman at miami so everyone knew he was a gamer.

He was also the #1 RB on the depth chart over McGahee, and stole time from Portis as a freshman... that raised eyebrows as well about his talent. Also both McGahee and Portis conceeded that Gore had the most talent out of both of them, but just never could stay on the field.

The scouts just thought he would be Mr. Glass in the NFL, so he fell.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was sad to watch his workout this year. That knee did not look sound.

Your right, his knee doesn't look sound at all. And Jarvis Jenkins was making Bowers look slower, weaker, and not as athletic at the pro-day. Jenkins hands were violent, Bowers looked slow.

For anyone who wanted to see Da'Quan's pro-day. Here's the highlights:

Whats up with the white guy working out in an underwear?!?!?!
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was sad to watch his workout this year. That knee did not look sound.

Your right, his knee doesn't look sound at all. And Jarvis Jenkins was making Bowers look slower, weaker, and not as athletic at the pro-day. Jenkins hands were violent, Bowers looked slow.

For anyone who wanted to see Da'Quan's pro-day. Here's the highlights:

Hacksaw Jim Duggen sighting at 1:30 in that video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by BillWalsh:

Different in my opinion

He was also the #1 RB on the depth chart over McGahee, and stole time from Portis as a freshman... that raised eyebrows as well about his talent. Also both McGahee and Portis conceeded that Gore had the most talent out of both of them, but just never could stay on the field.

The scouts just thought he would be Mr. Glass in the NFL, so he fell.

We took a risk and it worked out. Until Mike came along. Hopefully we have a passing game to go along with the run now!
didn't Crabtree have a microfracture in his foot?
You have to feel for this kid. I hope it works out for him.

He works his tail off in highschool and college to be the best he can, and pre-injury he was the best at his position. But due to his injury, the ability to keep him and his family set for generations is at risk.

Yes, he will still get paid more that 98% of americans but losing out on a top 5 contract due to injury rather than anything he did himself (ie: character concerns, work ethic, etc) is just a bummer.
The guy is still a pup and could sit for a couple years before stepping on the field.

Maybe be a rotational player at first before becoming a full-time starter.