LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

PhilGood's 2011 Draft Review FINAL

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Walsh:
Thanks. Great review. We've been in need of some pass rush and qb forever and now we have it. Fans always find something to complain about. I predict Aldon will get 2+ sacks this coming season.

2+ sacks? I think he'll get a little more than that.

[ Edited by mayo49 on May 4, 2011 at 06:10:22 ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Thanks. Great review. We've been in need of some pass rush and qb forever and now we have it. Fans always find something to complain about. I predict Aldon will get 2+ sacks this coming season.

thats what hes saying he will get at least 2 sacks
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

2 sacks, though? I say at least 5 or 6.

This. And hopefully he will generate his own passrush, unlike the bs coverage sacks our OLB are use to getting.

If we keep Manny I think Lawson could end up with nearly 10 sacks. He gets plenty of pressure, but lacks that killer move to complete the mission. Too often QBs would feel the pressure and roll out. I think with Smith being there, there wont be a space to rollout to. Of course, I'm assuming Lawson is even allowed on the field on passing downs.

P.S. Nice write up (seriously). You did lose a little credability calling Dixon a "bruiser."

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 4, 2011 at 07:06:50 ]
It was pretty good stuff, but at times, I had a hard time finishing it. I guess I really can't say why that was on this board anymore, as it may be perceived as a personal attack.

Overall, I'll say I gave the draft a C and have warmed up to maybe a C+ type of grade.

I can't say for sure where every draft site gets its research or how well they get things right... but if every decent site has a prospect as a late rounder, then I tend to believe it. (not talking anyone specifically here)

Aldon Smith was probably plan C when the top 6 were taken as they were. I can live with that, but yeah, I would have been happier with Quinn or a trade back. Again, I am okay with pick 1.

Kaepernick wasn't my first choice in round 2 (Dalton), but it does make sense for Harbaugh to grab the guy with better physical tools to develop. Trading up seemed appropriate, so no issues there.

Kendall Hunter was great value, and I give that an A grade. The rest of the draft for me was a bunch of head-scratching and eye-rolls. Maybe they work out.. maybe not... whatever. No major complaints from me... just underwhelmed a bit.
I like it
Thanks for the well thought out post and all the work you put in it.

I agree w/most of what you said. I realy like the first 2 picks and I think Miller will be a steal for us.

This is the beginning of building a championship season - 3 years to the SB.

Thanks again for a post w/out the emotional crap about Alex, yada, yada, yada.
Your reviews were great but more fantastic was your message in the first two paragraphs. I think most of the fans will focus on your reviews and that's ok because they will feel better about the picks at the surface level. But I Thank you for your message at the beginning!
what a great job

im with you here i think he gets about 5 to 6

Thanks you guys! Appreciate it a lot.

Our biggest needs coming into the draft were QB, OLB, CB, OL depth and NT.

We filled every one of those needs. Except for NT. Sopoaga has been getter better at holding the point and I think he can step up if we need him there. He's a bigger body that Aubrayo Franklin and strong as hell. If not, we could always go into free agency for one.

Just imagine this.

Ahmad brooks (our best pass rushing LB from last year) and Aldon Smith on the outside.

Patrick Willis, and Takeo Spikes roaming the field.

Justin Smith, and Ray McDonald (our best interior pass rusher next to JS) at the ends.

And Isaac Sopoaga (great at getting QB pressures but not sacks) holding the point.

Add to the mix Vic Fangio's 3-4 system, which mirrors that of Pittburgh and Green bay. Our front seven will certainly be able to generate a pass rush and might be one of the top front sevens in the league.

[ Edited by PhilGood on May 4, 2011 at 13:23:41 ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran

I'll go with that. At least 2 and possibly 6.=]

I haven't looked at our schedule and no idea how much playing time he'll see. Will he basically replace Manny? or will we try to pick up another vet OLB?
Great review. Can't wait to see the picks on the field!
Originally posted by PhilGood:
Thanks you guys! Appreciate it a lot.

Our biggest needs coming into the draft were QB, OLB, CB, OL depth and NT.

We filled every one of those needs. Except for NT. Sopoaga has been getter better at holding the point and I think he can step up if we need him there. He's a bigger body that Aubrayo Franklin and strong as hell. If not, we could always go into free agency for one.

Just imagine this.

Ahmad brooks (our best pass rushing LB from last year) and Aldon Smith on the outside.

Patrick Willis, and Takeo Spikes roaming the field.

Justin Smith, and Ray McDonald (our best interior pass rusher next to JS) at the ends.

And Isaac Sopoaga (great at getting QB pressures but not sacks) holding the point.

Add to the mix Vic Fangio's 3-4 system, which mirrors that of Pittburgh and Green bay. Our front seven will certainly be able to generate a pass rush and might be one of the top front sevens in the league.

I agree with most of what you say. I am pleased to see qb and pass rush addressed in one draft. But I don't think you can count cb as having been addressed yet. Yet. I think the first two picks have a great chance at their positions so ..... Sorted! For now. But I would like to see FA used to get us a shut down corner. And maybe, just maybe the two db's will make it.

Good draft. In hindsight if the qb and pass rush weaknesses turn out to be covered, as well as getting a backup for Gore then the draft will be rated A- such is the importance of these positions.
Great work and a nice read. Looking over your list for offense, who do you think will be the fourth OT? Which would make 27 players.

OFFENSE – Total players 26.

QB (3): Alex Smith*, Colin Kaepernick, David Carr
RB (3): Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Kendall Hunter
FB (2): Moran Norris, Bruce Miller
WR (6): Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn Jr., Dominique Zeigler, Kyle Williams, Ronald Johnson
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham
OT (4): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Alex Boone
OG (4): Mike Iupati, Adam Snyder, Chilo Rachal, Mike Person
C (2): David Baas*, Daniel Kilgore
Share 49ersWebzone