There are 242 users in the forums

OTC's 49ers Draft Grade by Pick

49ers 2011 DRAFT CLASS:

1. DE/OLB Aldon Smith: A-
Apparently we couldn't trade down. Still would've preferred Amukamara, but in the end, the pick fills a need.

2. QB Colin Kaepernick: B
We got a guy who was going to be able to learn and adapt to any system he was drafted into. All-world physical tools and ability, but will need time. The project factor keeps this a B.

3. DB Chris Culliver: C
If he's playing safety, this is a B-minus, but with way other pressing needs, and everyone knowing the DL is more important, I can't give this any better than a C grade.

4. RB Kendall Hunter: A+
Best pick, easily. Terrific, star-caliber running back.

5. OL Daniel Kilgore: C-
Fills a need, but was it really necessary to trade up for this developmental player? Didn't like the value here.

6. WR Ronald Johnson: A-
Now this was a good value. Strong slot receiver prospect. A guy who can get open and adds some depth to our WR corps. Should be ahead of Williams on the depth chart come this Fall.

6. S Colin Jones: B-
Special teamer with potential to develop into a fair back-up DB. Practice squad candidate.

7. LB Bruce Miller: A -- if he'll spend time at linebacker, D -- if he's wasted as a fullback.
Loved the pick. .... Until the rumors of him being converted to FB surfaced. You don't convert a conference Defensive Player of the Year and Bowl Game defensive MVP to fullback. That's idiotic.

7. OL Mike Person: B
Strong developmental OL prospect who excelled at the lower level. Fine with the value here.

7. CB Curtis Holcomb: C
Unlikely to make the team, but at 250th overall, you take a stab at a guy who could be at least a ST's contributor. Why is this a C? Because we ignored DL and passed on a terrific plugger/depth guy in Chris Neild who had the potential to make the team. Holcomb, unless he pulls a Philip Adams, may not even make the practice squad.

OVERALL GRADE: B

It is well understood at this point that we did not take a BPA strategy and did not pick for value. Instead we searched for one specific player, basically, and took him at the spot we saw fit. This is why it took very little time for us to get picks in, as it was already pre-determined the one guy we were taking.

I don't like this strategy, because essentially it strays from ones board. It's risky. We'll see if Baalke's risk is rewarded, but we won't know for at least a year or so how that's going.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

It is well understood at this point that we did not take a BPA strategy and did not pick for value. Instead we searched for one specific player, basically, and took him at the spot we saw fit. This is why it took very little time for us to get picks in, as it was already pre-determined the one guy we were taking.

I don't like this strategy, because essentially it strays from ones board.
It's risky. We'll see if Baalke's risk is rewarded, but we won't know for at least a year or so how that's going.

You assume that the guys they picked were not rated the highest on their board. Unless, of course, you saw their draft board.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 30, 2011 at 17:29:22 ]
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I don't like this strategy, because essentially it strays from ones board.
It's risky. We'll see if Baalke's risk is rewarded, but we won't know for at least a year or so how that's going.

You assume that the guys they picked were not rated the highest on their board. Unless, of course, you saw their draft board.

What I'm saying is it can cause you to stray from the "big board" -- Never said they did so.
I'm not as disappointed in this draft as I was afraid of after the start. We addressed the needs of the team, just not with the Zone's "popular" picks. I am going to give HarBaalke the benefit of the doubt and say they are better at evaluating talent than many of the Zone "experts" . After looking at the board Parcell's put together for ESPN, I know that there are different opinions on many of these players.

I think a "B" is about right, and it may get better as we look back in a couple of years.
Great job OTC
Nice. IMO, a B grade overall for a draft is good. If this draft class turns out to be what Baalke and Harbaugh expected them to be, we will have a great team a few years from now.

This draft had two main themes: Speed and Future.
If Aldon Smith turns into a 10+ sack, consistent QB pressure player and Colin starts at QB for this team in 2 or 3 years, I will then grade this draft as an A+.

I have been waiting for 6+ years for the 49ers to draft a legit pass rusher. Who would have thought it took an offensive minded coach (okay I know Baalke is supposedly the one making the decisions as the GM but you know Harbaugh has A LOT of input) to get us the pass rusher we have needed for so long.

Nolan nor Singletary; two supposed Defensive gurus, couldn't even get us a decent to solid pass rusher.

If Baalke can grab Nhamdi in FA, this defense is going to be really good!
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
If Aldon Smith turns into a 10+ sack, consistent QB pressure player and Colin starts at QB for this team in 2 or 3 years, I will then grade this draft as an A+.

I have been waiting for 6+ years for the 49ers to draft a legit pass rusher. Who would have thought it took an offensive minded coach (okay I know Baalke is supposedly the one making the decisions as the GM but you know Harbaugh has A LOT of input) to get us the pass rusher we have needed for so long.

Nolan nor Singletary; two supposed Defensive gurus, couldn't even get us a decent to solid pass rusher.

If that happens, and Aldon Smith plays up to his billing, we will be a top 10 defense.
If Kaepernick works out I will give it an A if not then a C.
I also have Niners with a Solid B grade. I think Kaepernick can be the best QB in this draft. Aldon Smith is a beast!

Kendall Hunter will be a stud. Ronald Johnson was a pleasent surprise.

The pick I really question is Chris Culliver when Sione Fua was there.

I give it a K...

FOR KAEPERNICK!!!!
Upset we didn't do more to land a NT.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

If that happens, and Aldon Smith plays up to his billing, we will be a top 10 defense.

OTC, do you think that since there hasn't been any OTA's etc, that the coaches spent their free time watching film on the team and decided to pick just the players they wanted to plug into specific vacancies? By that, I mean they were satisfied with most of the roster and thought they had most of what they need.
I was surprised as well that we didn't target a NT.
I agree with the grades. Kinda bummed we didn't address the DL but I guess there wasn't too many guys that the scouts were impressed with later in the draft.

This class will ultimately depend on Aldon Smith and Kaepernick. If those 2 turn out as beasts then this draft will go down as the turning point for the franchise.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Nice. IMO, a B grade overall for a draft is good. If this draft class turns out to be what Baalke and Harbaugh expected them to be, we will have a great team a few years from now.

This draft had two main themes: Speed and Future.

Totally agree... Would have liked to pick-up a nose tackle too but ya, our team just got a whole lot faster. This should pay immediate dividends for our special teams and hopefully these guys can make a contribution at their positions sooner rather than later.

[ Edited by vermonator on Apr 30, 2011 at 19:00:08 ]
Share 49ersWebzone