LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Aldon Smith

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
So, if Sing hadn't pushed so damn hard to beat AZ in the last game in Jan we would have had the #5 pick so the screw up started then. (AZ skipped the game mentally and physically) Instead of getting the best player in the draft we got a project. Definition of stupidity " doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". I watched film on this guy and I can see where he is too stiff and not athletic enough for the NFL. He is too skinny and weak to consistantly work against 310 lb tackles. Wasted pick. If, "if & ands were pots and pans, beggers would be peddlers".

he is as athlethic as suggs and demarcus ware

there combine markers are similar he has the most fluid hips in teh draft has extremely long arms and great footwork

And just how recovered was he going into the combine? Sometimes an injury like that can take more than a year to get back to where you started.
So, if Sing hadn't pushed so damn hard to beat AZ in the last game in Jan we would have had the #5 pick so the screw up started then. (AZ skipped the game mentally and physically) Instead of getting the best player in the draft we got a project. Definition of stupidity " doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". I watched film on this guy and I can see where he is too stiff and not athletic enough for the NFL. He is too skinny and weak to consistantly work against 310 lb tackles. Wasted pick. If, "if & ands were pots and pans, beggers would be peddlers".

there combine markers are similar he has the most fluid hips in teh draft has extremely long arms and great footwork

don't take anything this guy has to heart, sing was already fired before the final game, too skinny and weak? dude obviously has no clue what he is talking about

Aldon Smith 6'5" 263 20 bench reps
Demarcus Ware 6'4" 262 27 bench reps
Terelle Suggs6'3" 260 19 bench reps

*though i believe bench reps aren't a true test of strength, results still help in determining.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

don't take anything this guy has to heart, sing was already fired before the final game, too skinny and weak? dude obviously has no clue what he is talking about

Aldon Smith 6'5" 263 20 bench reps
Demarcus Ware 6'4" 262 27 bench reps
Terelle Suggs6'3" 260 19 bench reps

*though i believe bench reps aren't a true test of strength, results still help in determining.

dude has freakish long arms obviously his bench press wont be that hish

hes also 20 and has a huge frame he can easily add 10-15 pounds of muscle before his prime
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Why is lowell cohn allowed to write things

Quote:
Is this pick foolproof? Of course it isn't. Nothing about the draft is foolproof. Teams select players for the pro game based on what they did in the college game, almost a different sport.

what the f**k is this? insert pic of captain obvious here
This whole slight reach thing makes me laugh. He was going to be taken at 11 by the Texans, and we took him at 7. Let's look at the past many drafts where the good pass rushers/defensive players have gone around 11, shall we?

2002 Indianapolis Colts 11th pick - Dwight Freeney

2003 Baltimore Ravens 10th pick - Terrell Suggs

2004 New York Jets 12th pick - Jonathan Vilma

2005 Dallas Cowboys 11th pick - Demarcus Ware (S. Merriman the pick after that)

2006 Baltimore Ravens 12th pick - Haloti Ngata

2007 San Francisco 49ers 11th pick - Patrick Willis

2008 New England Patriots 10th pick - Jerod Mayo

2009 Washington Redskins 13th pick - Brian Orakpo

Every one of these guys has been to multiple pro bowls, except Mayo, who was 1st team all-pro last year. Almost all of them have been all pro at least once. Seems like every year an elite defensive player is drafted somewhere between 10-13, right where Smith was expected to go. Well, if people would have known just how good Willis would've been, you think he'd of lasted until 11? I think it's a very good think we reached for Smith, I think our front office probably realized there's a good chance he was going to be that kind of player.
  • ttime
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
This whole slight reach thing makes me laugh. He was going to be taken at 11 by the Texans, and we took him at 7. Let's look at the past many drafts where the good pass rushers/defensive players have gone around 11, shall we?

2002 Indianapolis Colts 11th pick - Dwight Freeney

2003 Baltimore Ravens 10th pick - Terrell Suggs

2004 New York Jets 12th pick - Jonathan Vilma

2005 Dallas Cowboys 11th pick - Demarcus Ware (S. Merriman the pick after that)

2006 Baltimore Ravens 12th pick - Haloti Ngata

2007 San Francisco 49ers 11th pick - Patrick Willis

2008 New England Patriots 10th pick - Jerod Mayo

2009 Washington Redskins 13th pick - Brian Orakpo

Every one of these guys has been to multiple pro bowls, except Mayo, who was 1st team all-pro last year. Almost all of them have been all pro at least once. Seems like every year an elite defensive player is drafted somewhere between 10-13, right where Smith was expected to go. Well, if people would have known just how good Willis would've been, you think he'd of lasted until 11? I think it's a very good think we reached for Smith, I think our front office probably realized there's a good chance he was going to be that kind of player.

Good Post. No, make that VERY GOOD POST!
Originally posted by Jakemall:

And just how recovered was he going into the combine? Sometimes an injury like that can take more than a year to get back to where you started.

he played 3 weeks into his injury and he got 5 sacks in the season and even got an int and returned it 50 yards on his broken fibia
Originally posted by Jakemall:

he played 3 weeks into his injury and he got 5 sacks in the season and even got an int and returned it 50 yards on his broken fibia

he didnt take it to the house. he's a bust.
All these yrs i have been waiting for Cohn to write one lousy column I agreed with...this was it.
Make way for Aldon.
Originally posted by cools:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I heard he will be on the Strong Side. Why use a pass rusher primarily for the strong side?

Link? Where?

Barrows mentioned it here
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/05/how-the-49ers-d.html

my 2 cents..
J.Smith often pressured QB's to scramble to the right, If we would have had a decent pass rusher on that side, the Niners probably would have had about 10 more sacks

I think he ends up playing more of an "Elephant" type position
with him moving around alot

ty

Aldon Smith =DROY
in before...
Share 49ersWebzone