LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Aldon Smith

is it me or he remind you of a raw D.Ware?? i just watch some of his highlights and the only player I think about when I saw him play is Ware!!!

check his measurables vs Ware:

smith:

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 263 lbs
Arm Length: 35 3/8 in
Hand Size: 9 3/4 in

ware:

Weight: 262 lbs
Arm Length: 34 in
Hand Size: 10 in

he is not as fast (Smith 4.7 vs Ware 4.5) but he is 21 years old, Ware was 23 when he came out... I am not saying he will become as dominant as D.Ware that would be amazing but when I saw his highlights he remind me of him and I can only imagine, his upside once he develop his body potential!!!

nice pick go niners!!!
He reminds me more of Shaun Phillips, the pro-bowl OLB from the Chargers. Same build, same skill set. Slightly lower in skill than Ware.

Just my two cents.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
He reminds me more of Shaun Phillips, the pro-bowl OLB from the Chargers. Same build, same skill set. Slightly lower in skill than Ware.

Just my two cents.

Even if Smith panned out to be more Phillips than Ware it would still be a steal in this years draft given all the circumstances.
Originally posted by servegmo:
is it me or he remind you of a raw D.Ware?? i just watch some of his highlights and the only player I think about when I saw him play is Ware!!!

smith:

ware:

he is not as fast (Smith 4.7 vs Ware 4.5) but he is 21 years old, Ware was 23 when he came out... I am not saying he will become as dominant as D.Ware that would be amazing but when I saw his highlights he remind me of him and I can only imagine, his upside once he develop his body potential!!!

nice pick go niners!!!

damn their nearly the same size? why the hell does ware look so much bigger and stronger than him?
Originally posted by Ajanke:

smith:

ware:

nice pick go niners!!!

damn their nearly the same size? why the hell does ware look so much bigger and stronger than him?

Aldon Smith wears JV football pads.
Originally posted by Ajanke:

smith:

ware:

nice pick go niners!!!

I think he will add some muscle pounds he is very young, something balkee seem to like for our first rounders!! I can see what he saw in him he only need good coaching and by mid season he will contribute big time in the rotation!!! very exited!!!
He loves it because he's a contrarian.

He doesn't really know what he's talking about, but since it was a surprise he loves it. If it was Peterson or Miller he probably would've complained about it.

He's annoying and thinks his job is to make people think in new ways or some crap, rather than just speaking the truth.

...though I do agree it was a good pick despite my initial shock.
Ware was a better player overall coming out, dropping back in coverage, stopping the run, everything. However, Smith does have 2 years to catch up to where Ware was so hopefully working with Vic he will become our Ware/Matthews/Harrison/Pace/Suggs... The biggest problem is we still need to get better in our secondary... look at the guys I listed that are great pass rushers... the teams that are good, Matthews Packers- Woodson in the secondary, Harrison Steelers- Polamalu, Calvin Pace Jets- Revis and Suggs Baltimore- Ed Reed... all playoff teams, all good to great secondaries... however DeMarcus Ware Cowboys, 2010 sack leader- Horrible secondary-- no playoffs... We NEED Asomugha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by kidash:
BUT... BUT... HE'S A BUST! (as some already proclaimed)

I've been pretty neutral on this pick, but I think it's literally the "Tyson Alualu" pick of 2011. -Everybody's thinking he should have been picked in the 'teens', but everything will work itself out in the end.

I Agree. I wasn't overly excited but wasn't upset either. The more I thought about, it the more I thought about the Jags pick last year. He ended up doing pretty well. Also Smith's size makes me think he has a better chance to be succesfull as opposed to Lawson coming out (240 lbs)

What the hell are you guys smoking? Tyson Alualu? nobody had Alualu going in the first round, let alone top 10. Aldon Smith was a top 15 pick, top 10 by many. If this pick was a reach it wasnt by much.

This next part isnt necessarily pointed at you guys above, but I gotta say it. Everybody flipping out over this pick is annoying the hell out of me... it only shows how little you know about this kid and what little research was done on your part. Aldon Smith was a top prospect plain and simple. How so many of you guys slept on him is beyond me. OTC, Maddog, etc... they can say what they want because they've done their homework and IMO have all the right in the world to voice their concern... But for those of you who have never heard of Aldon Smith and are giving up on the pick are only embarrassing yourselves.

with all that said i'm outta here, gonna go back to the Parking lot where the majority of posters arent a bunch of chicken littles
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by kidash:
BUT... BUT... HE'S A BUST! (as some already proclaimed)

I've been pretty neutral on this pick, but I think it's literally the "Tyson Alualu" pick of 2011. -Everybody's thinking he should have been picked in the 'teens', but everything will work itself out in the end.

I Agree. I wasn't overly excited but wasn't upset either. The more I thought about, it the more I thought about the Jags pick last year. He ended up doing pretty well. Also Smith's size makes me think he has a better chance to be succesfull as opposed to Lawson coming out (240 lbs)

What the hell are you guys smoking? Tyson Alualu? nobody had Alualu going in the first round, let alone top 10. Aldon Smith was a top 15 pick, top 10 by many. If this pick was a reach it wasnt by much.

This next part isnt necessarily pointed at you guys above, but I gotta say it. Everybody flipping out over this pick is annoying the hell out of me... it only shows how little you know about this kid and what little research was done on your part. Aldon Smith was a top prospect plain and simple. How so many of you guys slept on him is beyond me. OTC, Maddog, etc... they can say what they want because they've done their homework and IMO have all the right in the world to voice their concern... But for those of you who have never heard of Aldon Smith and are giving up on the pick are only embarrassing yourselves.

with all that said i'm outta here, gonna go back to the Parking lot where the majority of posters arent a bunch of chicken littles

For the record, OTC and MadDog had Aldon Smith at #11. Not really a reach in my opinion.

smith:

ware:

nice pick go niners!!!

We will see. But like you said Ware was the better athlete. 40 times for pass rushers are often overrated though. How you operate in a 5 - 10 yard box is more important. Initial quickness trumps long speed at DE/OLB. Plus pass rush moves and leverage, strength and technique.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

smith:

ware:

nice pick go niners!!!

We will see. But like you said Ware was the better athlete. 40 times for pass rushers are often overrated though. How you operate in a 5 - 10 yard box is more important. Initial quickness trumps long speed at DE/OLB. Plus pass rush moves and leverage, strength and technique.

Just finished watching Aldon Smith's freshman game against Colorado. He had a variety of pass rush moves and had a devastating club move (I thought they were illegal!) and was in the backfield frequently. He was moved behind the line of scrimmage on a couple of running plays, so I think he needs to get thicker on the lower body.
I just hope its not another A. Smith
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
I just hope its not another A. Smith

looks like they'll be playing together on sundays
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
Ware was a better player overall coming out, dropping back in coverage, stopping the run, everything. However, Smith does have 2 years to catch up to where Ware was so hopefully working with Vic he will become our Ware/Matthews/Harrison/Pace/Suggs... The biggest problem is we still need to get better in our secondary... look at the guys I listed that are great pass rushers... the teams that are good, Matthews Packers- Woodson in the secondary, Harrison Steelers- Polamalu, Calvin Pace Jets- Revis and Suggs Baltimore- Ed Reed... all playoff teams, all good to great secondaries... however DeMarcus Ware Cowboys, 2010 sack leader- Horrible secondary-- no playoffs... We NEED Asomugha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are saying you need a good secondary to rush the passer? Because I think the NFL was just pretty clear in the draft that they value rushing the passer over having a good secondary. Compare how many pass rushers went in the 1st round versus how many corners and how the #2 corner dropped rather far.

Its a chicken-egg thing but our complete lack of pass rush (except occasionally against the Rams) the past few years has made our secondary look much worse than it is. Manusky had to scheme the hell out of the secondary to get the minimal results he did.

If this team has, as we all hope, a 10+ sack pass rushing threat for the first time since Andre Carter - then everyone is going to look better.
Share 49ersWebzone