LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Aldon Smith

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Well the Texans are pissed about it, so thats something right there.

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=23369

Lol, I wouldn't call that board "pissed" more like "what pick are we going with now".

Lol like four posts on there

84 inches of wingspan coming for somebody.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jimrat201:

Lol, I wouldn't call that board "pissed" more like "what pick are we going with now".

Yah they are outraged....................

NOT
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
People are calling this a 'reach', but I think it was a 'steal'. This guy's gonna be the defensive gem of the 2012 season.

This pick has Fangio's thumbprint on it more than it does Baalke's.

Wow! You're starting to sound like me. After reading every article on Google with the name Aldon Smith, I have become a believer. I am so excited about this pick, I will be sleeping with sweet dreams. What kind of psycho plays a full college season with a broken/fractured leg? That's the kind of kid I want on my team. He is confident, built like a freak, loves football, young and is a good kid. SCORE!!!

I was wondering why he looked so stiff in some of his highlights, fractured leg.......impressed.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by kidash:
BUT... BUT... HE'S A BUST! (as some already proclaimed)

I've been pretty neutral on this pick, but I think it's literally the "Tyson Alualu" pick of 2011. -Everybody's thinking he should have been picked in the 'teens', but everything will work itself out in the end.

I Agree. I wasn't overly excited but wasn't upset either. The more I thought about, it the more I thought about the Jags pick last year. He ended up doing pretty well. Also Smith's size makes me think he has a better chance to be succesfull as opposed to Lawson coming out (240 lbs)
Originally posted by susweel:

NOT

Texans were ready to take Smith and Texans fans wanted him as badly as some of the people here wanted Amununchaku.

Mock from Mel Kiper

Quote:
The Texans have needs all over the defensive side of the ball and I also think they're looking to move off this pick for the right package of picks. But if they can't get a deal done and stick at No. 11, Smith represents a ton of upside for a defense that really needs to add some pass-rushing help opposite the great Mario Williams. Again, a lot of the problems in the Houston secondary started up front. I think they should find the tools Wade Phillips needs to get to opposing quarterbacks in his scheme, and Smith will remind him of Ware, a real matchup headache to be used on the edge of that 3-4.

A real matchup headache? Oh yeah, when's the last time the 49ers had a guy like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSG8ETv7_ts

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 28, 2011 at 23:04:15 ]
Im really gonna read up on this guy, I was pissed off with the pick because we already have alot of personnel at LB who are still developing and CB was a greater need because those players there had not panned out well. Prince was still on the board.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Im really gonna read up on this guy, I was pissed off with the pick because we already have alot of personnel at LB who are still developing and CB was a greater need because those players there had not panned out well. Prince was still on the board.

Who do we have at OLB that are still developing? How long do we have to wait for Lawson, Brooks, Harylson to fulfill their potential? IMO it's a good pick. Prince fell as far as he did for a reason.
I gotta admit, I was pretty upset on that pick. First, we didn't trade up knowing PP (my fav. draft pick) was most likely going to Arizona. Then, we didn't get any "good" trade offers (but Cleveland sure hit the jackpot). Finally, we selected a DE/OLB tweener who can pass rush, but needs work against the run?

But this article (and some time to calm down) made me realize that the logic behind drafting Aldon Smith makes a lot of sense. Even if he doesn't get a lot of sacks, if he gets a lot of pressure and disrupts the QB, then he's done his job. Plus, I didn't know he played with a broken leg, that's toughness right there! I'm still not loving the pick at all, but I'm starting to come around and like it enough to be able to sleep tonight.

Prince was still on the board when the Cowboys picked, and when the Texans picked and when 17 other teams picked. There's a reason he was passed up by CB-desperate teams. He's not ready for prime-time, his best bet is to start out as nickelback and work his way up, anyone expecting him to be the Nigerian Revis is going to be sadly disappointed.

Originally posted by forty9ers49:

Who do we have at OLB that are still developing? How long do we have to wait for Lawson, Brooks, Harylson to fulfill their potential? IMO it's a good pick. Prince fell as far as he did for a reason.

Man I really got his name wrong. PARYS HARALSON
Originally posted by susweel:

NOT

That suit is blacknot!

Man I really got his name wrong. PARYS HARALSON

It takes three years or so to see if your pick will develop. Haralson has been here more than that. He's NOT going to get better.

LaBoy and Lawson are free agents.

Brooks is the only guy that they're 'developing' and that's because he's undergoing a position change (from ILB to OLB).

I don't consider that "alot of personnel" at the OLB position.
i don't know enough about him to make any sort of conjecture. But it seems like Cohn liked the pick more because it showed Baalke and Harbaugh have balls than anything else.
Originally posted by fakers23:
I don't dislike the guy,but at 7 it was a reach..

Your post is a reach--No one will know if he's a reach or not until he plays a couple years under Fangio.
Share 49ersWebzone