LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Aldon Smith

Originally posted by fakers23:
I don't dislike the guy,but at 7 it was a reach..

How can he be a reach when a lot of pundits had him somewhere between 5 and 15???

I will defer to Trent and Jim and take a wait and see approach! And if this guy is half as nast as Charles Haley and can play half as good as Charles Haley, man then we did get one He!! of a steal!
Originally posted by fakers23:
I don't dislike the guy,but at 7 it was a reach..

A very small one
considering that Quinn went to a 4-3 you could argue that we took the best 3-4 OLB prospect at that pick. I for one am glad to see them address that position after about 3 years of neglect in the early draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hopefully he turns out to be good.
  • Veteran
Lets give the kid a chance.
Wow, the Niners finally do something that Cohn likes. Maybe things are going to change for the better. Don't want Cohn to be right normally, but in this case, I will make an exception.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
People are calling this a 'reach', but I think it was a 'steal'. This guy's gonna be the defensive gem of the 2012 season.

This pick has Fangio's thumbprint on it more than it does Baalke's.

OK I like the pick just fine, but your just lying to yourself if you think it was a "steal". It might one day turn out to be a steal, but not yet.
Well the Texans are pissed about it, so thats something right there.

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=23369

• boast
  • Hella Fame
damn! first Cohn article I have liked in 5+ years.
I'm just happy it wasn't Gabbert.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Well the Texans are pissed about it, so thats something right there.

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=23369

Lol, I wouldn't call that board "pissed" more like "what pick are we going with now".
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TDNiners:
I'm just happy it wasn't Gabbert.

Seriously...! Gabbert...super over-rated on this board.
  • dj43
I agree with Cohn for one of the rare occasions.

Drafting a pass rusher is much more important to the defense than a CB. Peterson would have been nice as a replacement for Clements but he wouldn't make the rest of the secondary better. Smith will.

I went from Miller to Quinn over Peterson or Prince. I am satisfied with Aldon Smith.

As to reach, well, MD and OTC had him at #11 so that isn't much of a reach. I would say that Baalke got his man.
Share 49ersWebzone