LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

1st and 2nd round domino

I think we have all come to the conclusion that our 1st round draft pick will come down to a corner or DE/OLB. We also know that the 49ers are looking for a quarterback in the first three rounds. Rather than looking at who is available at #7, I think the depth at QB, CB, DE/OLB will dictate how we choose our first pick. With this, I think the 49ers are much more likely to draft Amukamara than Quinn, assuming that Miller and Peterson are already gone.

If we draft Amukamara, we will most likely be targeting these players in the 2nd.

Brooks Reed
Sam Acho
Andy Dalton
Christian Ponder
Jabaal Sheard
Phil Taylor
Drake Nevis

If we draft Quinn, we will target these corners.

Brandon Harris
Curtis Brown
Brandon Burton
Ras-I-Dowling
Davon House

I am much more comfortable with the options resulting in us drafting Amukamara than I am with Quinn. However, I think Quinn is going to be a great player and I really like him as a first round option, I don't like the 2nd round corners that will most likely be available.

What are your thoughts are predictions for the 1 and 2 round domino effect?
Your draft thought process is too formulaic. The draft is organic; for instance, the Bucs last year selected back-to-back DTs (McCoy and Price) and it seems like they had a great draft.

We also have more needs than just QB, OLB and CB. Add WR, NT, and S to the list.

If Peterson and Miller are gone by the 7th pick, they could go in many directions...

Gabbert, Quinn, Amukamara, Green, Jones, Fairley, or Jordan

Anyone of those guys would be significant upgrades. And FA will also be a major factor (pending the CBA).
well, I've been looking at all the information, and I can tell you this. I have no clue what's going to happen, but whatever does happen...we'll find out.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Your draft thought process is too formulaic. The draft is organic; for instance, the Bucs last year selected back-to-back DTs (McCoy and Price) and it seems like they had a great draft.

We also have more needs than just QB, OLB and CB. Add WR, NT, and S to the list.

If Peterson and Miller are gone by the 7th pick, they could go in many directions...

Anyone of those guys would be significant upgrades. And FA will also be a major factor (pending the CBA).

I agree that we have needs in addition to QB, CB, and OLB, but I am confident that they will be addressed in the rounds following the 2nd. Of course my draft is formulatic, all mocks are formulaic, but I do think that the 49ers will address QB, CB, or OLB with their first two picks. The question of who those players will be is up for debate. This is all made without the consideration of F/A.
I was thinking since we will probably take a QB in round 2 is it better to take a CB or OLB in the first. Yeah, we will go based on who is better (probably between Prince and Quinn) BUT that means the other position won't get addressed until the 3rd. Who will be left in the 3rd at OLB or CB? I think I'd feel better with CB in the 3rd if guys like Acho, Sheard, Carter, etc are gone. Only options might be Romeus, Bruce Miller, Thomas Keiser, Cliff Matthews, Elmore, Chinasa, Friday, etc but they are more suited for say rounds 5-7 not 3. With CB in the 3rd I think there will be better value but still not sure I want to wait that long since we could use an instant starter. I'd prefer to go CB/OLB in the 1st/2nd but I think we are set on getting a QB in the 2nd or even trading up in the late 1st
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Yeah, it never really goes how we plan it. The majority of the mock drafts on webzone look similar because we all feed off of each other and players start to grow on us. The niners scouts and Baelke and Harbaugh all have guys that they are high on. If we went quinn first and then in the 2nd cameron jordan was still there we would have to consider it. to us we move on to other needs because we think problem solved but the Niners just have to rate the players by BPA and take what the board gives them. just add to the overall pool of talent.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
well, I've been looking at all the information, and I can tell you this. I have no clue what's going to happen, but whatever does happen...we'll find out.

We may. Possibly. But I agree with the line you are taking.

And, just between you and me, I dont think we are the only two who havent got a clue what is going to happen. But you dont have to tell anyone round here I said that.
I don't agree at all that we're pretty much dead set on CB or OLB. I think QB and WR are very much in play here and I give the 49ers a 50% chance of trading out of the #7 spot, in which case all bets are off.

I also don't think just because they draft a position in the 1st that they will not take BPA in the 2nd if that player plays the same position. For example if the niners take Peterson at #7, I can see them very easily taking Harris in the 2nd if still available.
Share 49ersWebzone