LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board- April 12 Edition

Originally posted by teeohh:
So you think that if the Niners wanted to draft Dalton they would have to draft up ahead of the Seahawks?

Not sure whether the Seahawks want Ponder or Dalton. I tend to think they want Ponder over Dalton, but who knows at this point.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Well well, looks like Armon Binns, Clayton, and Larimore made it in there.

Tremendous work as usual. These late rounders are going decide who's King of the Draft this year. We'll see who comes out on top.

I've got so many guys sitting on the fence that it is becoming maddening. I would bet that of the three, Clayton is the most likely to be drafted, Binns the least likely.
Originally posted by mebemused:
I found two players missing from your board that you might want to include:

Steven Friday OLB, Virginia Tech
Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia

Thanks for your Big Board MadDog!

Thanks for the kind note. Friday has a shot, but needs to overcome a couple issues: First, he is a one year starter. Second, he will turn 25 during the season. If a team can remove these issues from being a concern, the kid has a shot of being drafted. He just finished a terrific year for the Hokies.

As for Hogan, he needs to stop breaking the law. And, I think that, along with a history of being undisciplined in conditioning and in the classroom, will cause him to slip out of the draft. The talent is there, but the off the field issues are a concern.
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
MD and other dear webzoners, Drew Boylhart from the huddlereport.com is pretty high on Chris Neild NT from west virginia. have you an opinion on this guy?
i would also like to know what's your list , by priority, of team needs, since the draft will definitly be done before any trade or free agency?
here mine: QB,CB,OLB/DE,NT then 3/4DE, another qb ,another cb,one OL,one FB and a change of pace type RB...it's a good thing that we have more than 10 picks this year.
have a good day.

Almost daily, I place Neild on the board, and then yank him off. He has experience playing the nose in WVU's 3-3-5 defense, and he played at a pretty high level last year. Is he strong enough, and athletic enough, to do it at the next level? That is the debate.

Because I feel the team will be itching to rid themselves of Clements' contract, I believe CB is the highest priority. Free agency at QB, NT, and OLB is also a huge concern, and I don't know how the Niners' gauge their ability to re-sign guys with expired contracts. Center is one more area the team can address.

If the team holds on to all 12 picks, they will likely draft 2 CB's, 2 LB's, a QB, FB, RB, DE, NT, C/OG, slot WR, and possibly K.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Maddog,
You've got Nate Irving at both #115 and #132.

I like him so much, I put him there multiple times.

The check is in the mail. Thanks.
Originally posted by jta854:
MadDog, I have a small request. Is there anyway you could edit you list and bold the spots where we are picking.
Thanks.

Sure.
MD, just a small note. Not being nitpicky or anything, just an observation, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jarriel King does not get drafted. His combine numbers were good, but he had an up and down year. I pulled him off my board.

Add that to the following issues:

- trespassing conviction
- theft charges
- assault and battery charge from an altercation with a former girlfriend.

On field struggles:

- Waist bender
- Slow off the line
- Fooled by almost any half-decent pass rushing move
- Poor footwork and balance

(FYI, Don't know if you saw, but someone earlier mentioned Nate Irving is in two spots on the board).

Also, one more player I might add to my board is OT D.J. Young. Incredible pro-day for the guy. 84-inch wingspan, and put up 36 reps on the bench, while weighing in at 6-5 307 and clocking 5.17 in the forty.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If the team holds on to all 12 picks, they will likely draft 2 CB's, 2 LB's, a QB, FB, RB, DE, NT, C/OG, slot WR, and possibly K.

I agree on your list of the Niners' priorities save one. In visits to Santa Clara, they've shown a lot of interest in tight ends, especially in the lower ranks. Also, Harbaugh's TE personnel at Stanford suggest they might look to replace Bynum with a tall (6'5-6'6) pass catching TE. Perhaps someone like Oordt (or convert DeAndre Brown with another 10 lbs). This might replace one of the LB selections.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
MD and other dear webzoners, Drew Boylhart from the huddlereport.com is pretty high on Chris Neild NT from west virginia. have you an opinion on this guy?
i would also like to know what's your list , by priority, of team needs, since the draft will definitly be done before any trade or free agency?
here mine: QB,CB,OLB/DE,NT then 3/4DE, another qb ,another cb,one OL,one FB and a change of pace type RB...it's a good thing that we have more than 10 picks this year.
have a good day.

Almost daily, I place Neild on the board, and then yank him off. He has experience playing the nose in WVU's 3-3-5 defense, and he played at a pretty high level last year. Is he strong enough, and athletic enough, to do it at the next level? That is the debate.

Because I feel the team will be itching to rid themselves of Clements' contract, I believe CB is the highest priority. Free agency at QB, NT, and OLB is also a huge concern, and I don't know how the Niners' gauge their ability to re-sign guys with expired contracts. Center is one more area the team can address.

Actually I think they take 2 QBs..
Awesome work as usual MD.

One minor detail, and one even more minor one:

1) 60 Davon House New Mexico (He's from New Mexico St, NMSU, not New Mexico, UNM)

2) I can't BELIEVE you have a UTEP Scumbag rated higher than my beloved gangsta OG Byron Bell from UNM.

232 Byron Bell UNM OG (7th round gem, that’s right, gem) >>> 233 Donald Buckram Texas El-Paso RB

(Byron should be placed at spot 232, with a note identifying the huge drop off in talent between 232 and 233.)

Other than that, love the board MD.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM ]

Originally posted by Lobo49er:

1) 60 Davon House New Mexico (He's from New Mexico St, NMSU, not New Mexico, UNM)

2) I can't BELIEVE you have a UTEP Scumbag rated higher than my beloved gangsta OG Byron Bell from UNM.

232 Byron Bell UNM OG (7th round gem, that’s right, gem) >>> 233 Donald Buckram Texas El-Paso RB

(Byron should be placed at spot 232, with a note identifying the huge drop off in talent between 232 and 233.)

Agreed!!
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

Agreed!!

Don't worry, Buckram may not make the final board. He's a tough case to judge on whether he'll be draft. Amazing year last year, but struggled with injuries in 2010.

His Pro Day numbers were okay. Great straight line speed, but average numbers in the bench and was not great in the agility drills.

Thanks for the kind words. Stupid oversight by mine on House, and NMSU. Thank for catching.

As for Bell, the kid is a good prospect. Not sure if he can hold up at OT, or have to kick inside to guard, but a bubble draftee that I have on the fence. One of the many...
MadDog, what are the chances that we don't draft a QB with one of our first two picks?

The more I hear that we may need to trade up to land a second tier QB (Mallet, Locker, Ponder, & Dalton) the more I think we don't pick a QB with our first two picks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

Agreed!!

Don't worry, Buckram may not make the final board. He's a tough case to judge on whether he'll be draft. Amazing year last year, but struggled with injuries in 2010.

His Pro Day numbers were okay. Great straight line speed, but average numbers in the bench and was not great in the agility drills.

Thanks OTC, now to get MD to see the error of his ways....
Share 49ersWebzone