There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Terelle Pryor considering entering supplamental draft

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kiper said he has more of a shot at TE than QB in the NFL. He's crazy. Pryor has enough raw skills to be a great WCO QB over time, and if we don't get the guy we want in a few weeks, he should be a strong consideration should he declare for the supplemental draft.

Prior's got raw skill there's no denying that but everything I've seen about him tells me he has Vince Young's attitude.

He has horrible accuracy, he doesn't make pro reads, he whines that he's not being used like Cam or Robinson. He's going to be a train wreck in the NFL. He's not half the prospect Cam Newton is either.

I'm not saying stats are everything, but the kid had a 65% completion percentage last year (which is damn good for a pro-style offense), and he wasn't just dinking and dunking (top 20 in yards per completion as well). I can't speak for his attitude since I don't know enough about him, but to come out and say that his accuracy is "horrible" seems downright, well, inaccurate.

I'll take expert opinions over stats any day of the week. Stats can be deceiving. The NFL is a close competition league. Ohio State Big Ten Football is not. Yeah he put up a 65% completion ratio in a bunch of routes against sh*tty opponents. You look at his close games and he was nowhere near as consisant. Under 60% against Miami, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Against Oregon in last year's bowl game he completed 62% of his passes had 2 TD and a pick. Pretty good game, rivalring Cam's game against Oregon.

You say you haven't watched him play that much. I live in Ohio and I've seen just about every game of his. He struggles with progressions and just isn't accurate. If you can find an expert who disagrees with that fine, but I'm not backing down from that stance because he completed 75% of his passes in a 49-0 route over Indiana. Ohio State had a soft schedule last year facing 2 teams that finished in the top 25.

Reading comprehension is key. I never said I didn't WATCH him play that much, I said I couldn't speak about the attitude thing since I don't know enough him as an individual. That's different.

If you can quote "experts" that say his accuracy is "horrible," than your statement has credibility. I didn't bring this point up, though...you did, so the burden of proof is on you to find others that back up your statement. I didn't say he was accurate...I said your statement seemed inaccurate.

Now, if you can't find experts that agree with you, that's fine...it's then just an opinion based on your perspective...which is of course valid and acceptable on this board. But I'm sure you realize your opinion (along with mine) has nothing to do with his draft status or pro potential, especially if it's not corroborated by experts.

IMO, a 65% completion percentage as a junior and a record of 33-6 as a starting QB in the Big 10 is pretty impressive. Has he been perfect in all of his games? Is he always 65% accurate? No. But he has managed to put up some pretty impressive numbers overall and win a lot of games by making a lot of great plays both inside and outside the pocket. Combine that with his ungodly athletic ability, and I believe he's worth a look.

Now, the attitude thing is something different, as I mentioned earlier. If it's as bad as you say, than it (along with the "horrible" accuracy issues you claim he has) will come out during his evaluation and will cost him dearly in terms of draft status.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM ]
dumb
Kiper said he has more of a shot at TE than QB in the NFL. He's crazy. Pryor has enough raw skills to be a great WCO QB over time, and if we don't get the guy we want in a few weeks, he should be a strong consideration should he declare for the supplemental draft.

Prior's got raw skill there's no denying that but everything I've seen about him tells me he has Vince Young's attitude.

He has horrible accuracy, he doesn't make pro reads, he whines that he's not being used like Cam or Robinson. He's going to be a train wreck in the NFL. He's not half the prospect Cam Newton is either.

I'm not saying stats are everything, but the kid had a 65% completion percentage last year (which is damn good for a pro-style offense), and he wasn't just dinking and dunking (top 20 in yards per completion as well). I can't speak for his attitude since I don't know enough about him, but to come out and say that his accuracy is "horrible" seems downright, well, inaccurate.

I'll take expert opinions over stats any day of the week. Stats can be deceiving. The NFL is a close competition league. Ohio State Big Ten Football is not. Yeah he put up a 65% completion ratio in a bunch of routes against sh*tty opponents. You look at his close games and he was nowhere near as consisant. Under 60% against Miami, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Against Oregon in last year's bowl game he completed 62% of his passes had 2 TD and a pick. Pretty good game, rivalring Cam's game against Oregon.

You say you haven't watched him play that much. I live in Ohio and I've seen just about every game of his. He struggles with progressions and just isn't accurate. If you can find an expert who disagrees with that fine, but I'm not backing down from that stance because he completed 75% of his passes in a 49-0 route over Indiana. Ohio State had a soft schedule last year facing 2 teams that finished in the top 25.

Reading comprehension is key. I never said I didn't WATCH him play that much, I said I couldn't speak about the attitude thing since I don't know enough him as an individual. That's different.

If you can quote "experts" that say his accuracy is "horrible," than your statement has credibility. I didn't bring this point up, though...you did, so the burden of proof is on you to find others that back up your statement. I didn't say he was accurate...I said your statement seemed inaccurate.

Now, if you can't find experts that agree with you, that's fine...it's then just an opinion based on your perspective...which is of course valid and acceptable on this board. But I'm sure you realize your opinion (along with mine) has nothing to do with his draft status or pro potential, especially if it's not corroborated by experts.

IMO, a 65% completion percentage as a junior and a record of 33-6 as a starting QB in the Big 10 is pretty impressive. Has he been perfect in all of his games? Is he always 65% accurate? No. But he has managed to put up some pretty impressive numbers overall and win a lot of games by making a lot of great plays both inside and outside the pocket. Combine that with his ungodly athletic ability, and I believe he's worth a look.

Now, the attitude thing is something different, as I mentioned earlier. If it's as bad as you say, than it (along with the "horrible" accuracy issues you claim he has) will come out during his evaluation and will cost him dearly in terms of draft status.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kiper projecting him to be a tight end over a quarterback has something to do with Pryor having poor quarterback skills.

Forgive me for connecting the dots on that one.

Guys like Young, Newton, Pryor are just too talented for most colleges to compete with. If you stack the line it leads to man coverages and blown assignments. If you don't they'll torch with their legs. That luxury ends once they hit the pros.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kiper projecting him to be a tight end over a quarterback has something to do with Pryor having poor quarterback skills.

Guys like Young, Newton, Pryor are just too talented for most colleges to compete with. If you stack the line it leads to man coverages and blown assignments. If you don't they'll torch with their legs. That luxury ends once they hit the pros.

Dude, let's just be straight about this. You said his accuracy was horrible. I wasn't referring to nor did I question you about his OVERALL quarterbacking skills (which obviously are worthy of discussion). Did Kiper say, "due to Pryor's "horrible" accuracy, he should be a TE instead of a QB?" No, he didn't, and that's what you and I are talking about. A QB can be accurate in college and still not make a very good QB prospect, since there's so much more to playing the position than just that. I'm assuming Kiper is giving an overall evaluation/projection and not JUST pointing out one horrible flaw (accuracy) and dismissing his chances because of that one thing.

Why can't you just admit you exaggerated a little on how "horrible" his accuracy really is? It's not a big deal, we're all wrong sometimes.
He is not ready for prime time. He should go back to college to get more seasoning and face the consequences. Otherwise it'll show that in the midst of adversity he will run away, chuck and duck.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
well he should stay for his senior year, accept the suspension, and move on. He has improved every year and he should this year too.

I thought he had agreed to play next year as part of the agreement that let him and the other Ohio State players participate in their bowl game.
Originally posted by jta854:

What round pick would you give up for him?

If he declares for the supplemental, it will depend on how he works out of course. If I had to guess now, I'd say 3rd round would be the safest play. Now, if we didn't get the guy we wanted in the regular draft and he checks out ok by Harbaugh/Baalke, a 2nd round pick might be in order, but it's too early to really know right now for sure.

I normally agree with alot that you say, but his natural NFL position will be waterboy. I don't think he will be any thing in the NFL but a backup for a few years.

Dude, let's just be straight about this. You said his accuracy was horrible. I wasn't referring to nor did I question you about his OVERALL quarterbacking skills (which obviously are worthy of discussion). Did Kiper say, "due to Pryor's "horrible" accuracy, he should be a TE instead of a QB?" No, he didn't, and that's what you and I are talking about. A QB can be accurate in college and still not make a very good QB prospect, since there's so much more to playing the position than just that. I'm assuming Kiper is giving an overall evaluation/projection and not JUST pointing out one horrible flaw (accuracy) and dismissing his chances because of that one thing.

Why can't you just admit you exaggerated a little on how "horrible" his accuracy really is? It's not a big deal, we're all wrong sometimes.

This statement comes from a previous discussion about Pryor from Kiper. Right after his suspension came down.

When asked about what scouts needed to see from Pryor in his final season this is what he said. "Accuracy" "Throwing the football is the main thing" "He has to work on throwing the ball, he has to be precise with the football, and he has to do the things from a pure passing standpoint". He then went on to say he thought he was a better fit at tight end.

That statement right there pretty tells you what Kiper thinks of Pryor's accuracy. It needs alot of work.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM ]

This statement comes from a previous discussion about Pryor from Kiper. Right after his suspension came down.

When asked about what scouts needed to see from Pryor in his final season this is what he said. "Accuracy" "Throwing the football is the main thing" "He has to work on throwing the ball, he has to be precise with the football, and he has to do the things from a pure passing standpoint". He then went on to say he thought he was a better fit at tight end.

That statement right there pretty tells you what Kiper thinks of Pryor's accuracy. It needs alot of work.

Sorry to butt in, per Bleacher Report

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. projects Pryor as a tight end in the NFL. Surely Pryor will take issue with that statement and set out to prove he belongs at the quarterback position.

"He possesses a strong arm and elite athleticism, but really struggles with pocket presence and accuracy. While he has improved during his time at Ohio State, he still needs a lot of work with fundamentals and would be nothing more than a project quarterback at this time".
Sorry Ghost but Pryor is not going to be a good qb in the nfl. Hes not even a great QB in college. I could see him playing in the NFL though, just not as a QB.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by jta854:

What round pick would you give up for him?

If he declares for the supplemental, it will depend on how he works out of course. If I had to guess now, I'd say 3rd round would be the safest play. Now, if we didn't get the guy we wanted in the regular draft and he checks out ok by Harbaugh/Baalke, a 2nd round pick might be in order, but it's too early to really know right now for sure.

I normally agree with alot that you say, but his natural NFL position will be waterboy. I don't think he will be any thing in the NFL but a backup for a few years.

Troy Smith rehashed?

Two things can be equally true. I don't entirely disagree with Kiper's assessment in terms of what Pryor needs to do in the passing department. I also don't think his accuracy is "horrible"...and Kiper doesn't describe it as such either.

He manages to complete a very high percentage of his passes in a pro-style offense and make plays through the air to win a ton of college football games (none of which is easy to do). AND, he struggles to consistently be precise with his footwork and his throwing mechanics in the pocket, which affects his precision (that's a negative). These are things he obviously needs to work on, and a good QB coach can help him in these areas.

IMO, I believe Kiper is saying that he believes Pryor doesn't possess the overall QB skills to be an NFL QB, but does have the athleticism/size/speed to play another position. He may end up being right, but then again, he also thought Jimmy Clausen was the 4th best player OVERALL in last year's draft, and thought David Carr was in no danger of being a bust as a #1 overall pick.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 21Gore:

Sorry to butt in, per Bleacher Report

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper, Jr. projects Pryor as a tight end in the NFL. Surely Pryor will take issue with that statement and set out to prove he belongs at the quarterback position.

"He possesses a strong arm and elite athleticism, but really struggles with pocket presence and accuracy. While he has improved during his time at Ohio State, he still needs a lot of work with fundamentals and would be nothing more than a project quarterback at this time".

Big Ben was/is not an accurate passer in the pocket, but when he is on the run - he is as accurate as they come - which is exactly how Pryor is. He won't be the most accurate when he is in the pocket, but once he gets out - he is in his comfort zone and his accuracy % goes up.

When you're playing at the college level in a pro-style offense and you put up that kind of accuracy % - winning record - with the kind of arm strength he has...it is silly to say that he is better off at TE. Let's not forget Kiper thought Clausen should have been the top pick in the draft last year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Two things can be equally true. I don't entirely disagree with Kiper's assessment in terms of what Pryor needs to do in the passing department. I also don't think his accuracy is "horrible"...and Kiper doesn't describe it as such either.

He manages to complete a very high percentage of his passes in a pro-style offense and make plays through the air to win a ton of college football games (none of which is easy to do). AND, he struggles to consistently be precise with his footwork and his throwing mechanics in the pocket, which affects his precision (that's a negative). These are things he obviously needs to work on, and a good QB coach can help him in these areas.

IMO, I believe Kiper is saying that he believes Pryor doesn't possess the overall QB skills to be an NFL QB, but does have the athleticism/size/speed to play another position. He may end up being right, but then again, he also thought Jimmy Clausen was the 4th best player OVERALL in last year's draft, and thought David Carr was in no danger of being a bust as a #1 overall pick.

LOL that's what I said. There are only couple of players every decade who come into NFL without imperfections. Pyror has his issues, but all of those things can be corrected. Saying he should be a TE is f**king retarded of Kiper, to be quite honest with you.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM ]

I disagree. Athletic quarterbacks have made dominating college football look very easy (Young, Tebow, Newton, Pryor), but as we all know that by itself doesn't translate into the pros.

I think Mel is seeing what alot of people see. An athletic freak whose game just doesn't project to the pros.