There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Quantity or quality?

We're in a unique position because at the 7th pick, and 11 other picks (9 of which are tradable), we have the ammunition to trade up--even to the 1 spot if we so choose. We are also going to have the option of moving down and possibly securing as many as 3 picks in the top 50. So would you prefer:

-Peterson or
-Kaepernick, Taylor, and Brooks Reed

Not specifically these players, but more the idea of trading up for the draft's best player, and a likely superstar. Or trading down for a developemental QB and 2 starting caliber players who will play for a decade with no more than a a pro-bowl or 2 to their names at best. But they'll be good (think Joe Staley)
In between with a serious lean towards quality.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I dont know... with quantity you better your chances at getting quality players in the later rounds, or you can trade them for higher draft picks where your more likely to find quality players.

its a toss up IMO... I guess it depends how much you trust your scouting department.
I'm usually about quality, but I really like the late 1's early 2's this year, and may lean that way...
Wih so many picks, I think we'll be more inclined to draft BPA and take a few risks with some talented guys that slide due to medical or other concerns:

Jimmy Smith, CB
Ras-I Dowling, CB
C. Chewka, CB
Kendrick Burney, CB
Ahmad Black, SS
Stanley Havili, FB/RB, H-back
Bruce Carter, OLB
Bilal Powell, RB
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of trades in this draft due to the late 1st/early 2nd round talent at QB. Teams that don't really need a QB but can use a top talent at another position can trade up with teams that do need a QB but don't want to waste a high pick on one.
First three rounds I look for value/quality for an everydown player at a position of need (not necessarily BPA). 4th through 6th rounds situational contributors with at least one special talent (ie speed, great hands, power block, etc) that creates mismatches and 7th round reaches with potential to contribute (probably did not play against top notch talent (small school) but possess the skills that outclassed opponent or had injury history, etc.)
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I would hope all the picks turn out to be pro bowl players for a decade?
I like both ideas so i wouldn't be upset if we went either way. This year i like where we are at and there is a lot of Defensive talent at the top of the draft and there are good QB prospects on day 2 of the Draft. That works out well for us because our most important needs are those impact positions. Whatever Quality Defensive player is there at #7 i say we take him. The bears already had a good D but someone like Julius Peppers made them even better. Don't know if there is a Peppers at #7 but a big impact player can make a lot difference for us. I would like to see us target as many needs as we can if they are high on our draft board. If the chips aren't falling our way than i would be ok if we traded for more quality picks next year when Harbaugh and Fangio have a better understanding of the team.
Would you be willing to give up the 2 six and seventh rounders for 1 4th? There seems to be quite a bit of quality players in the 3-5 rounds. Or would you keep the picks in hopes for a Brady, Dwight Clark, Coltson, Dent with one or two of the 4 picks in the 6th and 7th?
Originally posted by WildBill:
Would you be willing to give up the 2 six and seventh rounders for 1 4th? There seems to be quite a bit of quality players in the 3-5 rounds. Or would you keep the picks in hopes for a Brady, Dwight Clark, Coltson, Dent with one or two of the 4 picks in the 6th and 7th?

Keep the picks. The odds of finding a starter beyond the first couple rounds are pretty slim. I think we'll have a better luck bringing in 4 guys.
Trade up for a special talent such as Jerry Rice, keep the pick if the player you target is by far the best at a position of need and trade down if there is less drop off between the best and the next group. Sounds easy but of course it isn't.

There are quite a few good players in the late 1st and 2nd/3rd rounds this year. So if there is no clear difference maker more picks would be my choice.

Who would be clear difference makers? Green, Dareus, Peterson, and maybe Von Miller and Quinn.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Trade up for a special talent such as Jerry Rice, keep the pick if the player you target is by far the best at a position of need and trade down if there is less drop off between the best and the next group. Sounds easy but of course it isn't.

There are quite a few good players in the late 1st and 2nd/3rd rounds this year. So if there is no clear difference maker more picks would be my choice.

Who would be clear difference makers? Green, Dareus, Peterson, and maybe Von Miller and Quinn.

Doesn't it suck that New England has a ton of picks in that range. The rich get richer...
IMO, we should definitely trade back into the middle of the first round if we can.

Most years, you can't do this because the value isn't there in the top ten. This year the value is there, and there should be a couple of players who other teams will want to reach up and grab at seven.

Here is the real issue, if we get a young Deion Sanders in the draft, does this make us a great team? I don't see how it does. When the quarterback can't get it done, everything else has to fall in place perfectly just to make up for that one position. Bad quarterbacking requires that you have great players everywhere else to make up for it. You have to have an unbelievable defense to have a chance at reaching the Super Bowl if you don't have a quarterback.

Trading back into the middle of the first round gives us our pick of the many second-tier quarterbacks. The reality is, our first two picks in the draft are horrible positions to get a quarterback. We are not guaranteed to get the guy we want by sitting at 45 in the second round. We need to get the guy we WANT; instead of hoping that the guy we want will magically be there.

There are a ton of second-tier quarterbacks in this draft, we should hand pick the one we want in the middle of the first round. We can't risk getting leapfrogged by sitting in the back of the first round. EVERY other team that needs a QB is thinking the same thing!

There are plenty of quarterbacks to evaluate, and chances are, Harbaugh has one or two of them rated far above the others. We need to get THAT guy, and the only way we are going to get him, is by grabbing him in the middle of the first round.

If we try and trade UP into the middle of the first round, the price will be far too high. At seven we are at the perfect place to trade back, pick up some extra picks, and get the guy Harbaugh wants at quarterback.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
IMO, we should definitely trade back into the middle of the first round if we can.

Most years, you can't do this because the value isn't there in the top ten. This year the value is there, and there should be a couple of players who other teams will want to reach up and grab at seven.

Here is the real issue, if we get a young Deion Sanders in the draft, does this make us a great team? I don't see how it does. When the quarterback can't get it done, everything else has to fall in place perfectly just to make up for that one position. Bad quarterbacking requires that you have great players everywhere else to make up for it. You have to have an unbelievable defense to have a chance at reaching the Super Bowl if you don't have a quarterback.

Trading back into the middle of the first round gives us our pick of the many second-tier quarterbacks. The reality is, our first two picks in the draft are horrible positions to get a quarterback. We are not guaranteed to get the guy we want by sitting at 45 in the second round. We need to get the guy we WANT; instead of hoping that the guy we want will magically be there.

There are a ton of second-tier quarterbacks in this draft, we should hand pick the one we want in the middle of the first round. We can't risk getting leapfrogged by sitting in the back of the first round. EVERY other team that needs a QB is thinking the same thing!

There are plenty of quarterbacks to evaluate, and chances are, Harbaugh has one or two of them rated far above the others. We need to get THAT guy, and the only way we are going to get him, is by grabbing him in the middle of the first round.

If we try and trade UP into the middle of the first round, the price will be far too high. At seven we are at the perfect place to trade back, pick up some extra picks, and get the guy Harbaugh wants at quarterback.

Uhh if you paired a young Deion Sanders with a young Ray Lewis you are going to be a pretty good team for a long time dude. Just saying...