LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

2011 NFL Draft: DT/NT class

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Unfortunately, McClain weighed in much smaller than what you've got there. He'd be more of a DE in our system. He checked in at just over 6-1 297 pounds.

I stand corrected. Thanks man!

Just a heads up, buddy.

So who would you suggest?

Top 10 NT prospects of 2011 for me are these:

1. Marcel Dareus-Alabama (yes he can play the nose, and enjoys it too), 6-3 319 4.93
2. Phil Taylor-Baylor, 6-3 334 5.14
3. Kenrick Ellis-Hampton, 6-5 346 5.28
4. Jerrell Powe-Mississippi, 6-2 335 5.29
5. Sione Fua-Stanford, 6-2 308 5.28
6. Chris Neild-West Virginia, 6-2 319 5.12
7. Dexter Larimore-Ohio State, 6-3 319 5.18 (could also play End)
8. Anthony Gray-Southern Miss, 6-0 330 5.19
9. Cory Grant-TCU, 6-1 316 5.09

10. Derrick Hill-Cal, 6-1 311 5.67 (There's a drop-off after Grant)

I wouldn't at all be upset if the team traded down a handful of spots and drafted Taylor. To build a great 3-4 defense, you need a stud at NT, and Taylor could be our anchor for a long, long time.

Neild is going to be great value for a team late in the draft. Played the NT at WV in their 3-3-5 defense. So, he is used to being doubled relentlessly.
Im with MD, I would love Taylor, he is a beast.

And I wouldnt mind Dareus, if he fell which is unlikely.
Somehow our D-line NEEDS to get better! They need to be able to collapse the pocket consistently, which they haven't been able to do in recent years.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Unfortunately, McClain weighed in much smaller than what you've got there. He'd be more of a DE in our system. He checked in at just over 6-1 297 pounds.

Just a heads up, buddy.

1. Marcel Dareus-Alabama (yes he can play the nose, and enjoys it too), 6-3 319 4.93

You named 2 of the 3 I named OTC. But you didn't name Jarvis Jenkins. Don't think he'd be good at NT?
BTW, I do hope we take a flier out on Anthony Gray. He would be a good project NT.

No, he'd strictly be an End in a 3-4, but is better suited to play the 4-3 DT position. He just doesn't have the strength (only 17 reps of 225), nor does he play with the kind of leverage you look for in a 3-4 NT.

Just a heads up, buddy.

You named 2 of the 3 I named OTC. But you didn't name Jarvis Jenkins. Don't think he'd be good at NT?
BTW, I do hope we take a flier out on Anthony Gray. He would be a good project NT.

No, he'd strictly be an End in a 3-4, but is better suited to play the 4-3 DT position. He just doesn't have the strength (only 17 reps of 225), nor does he play with the kind of leverage you look for in a 3-4 NT.

I think his leverage is good enough to be a NT. He's athletic and demands a double team. The knock on him has been his stamina and the talent on the Clemson D-Line. I personally think he could play any position on the D-Line in our 3-4.

You mentioned the 17 reps at the combine, but at his pro day he put up 23, not great, but not horrible either.

Just a heads up, buddy.

I think his leverage is good enough to be a NT. He's athletic and demands a double team. The knock on him has been his stamina and the talent on the Clemson D-Line. I personally think he could play any position on the D-Line in our 3-4.

You mentioned the 17 reps at the combine, but at his pro day he put up 23, not great, but not horrible either.

Report I'm reading here says 21 at his Pro-Day. Might've had a couple reps disqualified, as many players do. Still this would've him lower than any other DT prospects at the combine. He has a wide frame, so maybe, just maybe you could try him there, but I just think he'd go to waste at NT considering his skill set.

He shows great tools for a 3-4 DE, like the ability to maintain the edge when runners try to get outside. He seems perfect for the 5-technique in my opinion.

Just a heads up, buddy.

Report I'm reading here says 21 at his Pro-Day. Might've had a couple reps disqualified, as many players do. Still this would've him lower than any other DT prospects at the combine. He has a wide frame, so maybe, just maybe you could try him there, but I just think he'd go to waste at NT considering his skill set.

He shows great tools for a 3-4 DE, like the ability to maintain the edge when runners try to get outside. He seems perfect for the 5-technique in my opinion.

I understand exactly what you mean. He's a talented kid that doesn't get much publicity.
What's your take on Gray from So.Miss.? I know he was at one point considered a 6th-7th rounder. He put up good #s at his pro-day and with a lot of teams going to the 3-4, do you see him moving up a couple rounds?

Just a heads up, buddy.

I understand exactly what you mean. He's a talented kid that doesn't get much publicity.
What's your take on Gray from So.Miss.? I know he was at one point considered a 6th-7th rounder. He put up good #s at his pro-day and with a lot of teams going to the 3-4, do you see him moving up a couple rounds?

Gray is a wide-bodied guy who would fit the space-eating role well. I think his value exceed where he'll be drafted, which will still probably be around the 6th. He measured in a little under 6' -- more like 5' 11 1/2" -- but for the life of me, I can't see how one inch would make a difference for a 3-4 NT, especially for a guy as athletic as Gray who put up a 31 1/2 inch vertical at 330 pounds.

On a wet field, the guy clocked about a 5.15 in the forty and put up a whopping 39 reps of 225. That would've been 2nd best at the combine behind only Paea. A team not caring about his 5-11 height (which really could be an advantage for a 3-4 nose) could take him as high as the late 5th.
DT Nick Fairley plans to visit 8 of the top 10 teams
Phil Taylor to visit Jets, Steelers, Browns, and 5 other teams

Originally posted by oldman9er:
rd 1 = Marcell Dareus

rd 2 = Corey Liuget (probably gone) or Marvin Austin

rd 3/4 = Sione Fua or Ian Williams

Dareus and Austin are not nose tackles...

Especially Austin. He's strictly a 3-technique DT.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
rd 1 = Marcell Dareus

rd 2 = Corey Liuget (probably gone) or Marvin Austin

rd 3/4 = Sione Fua or Ian Williams

Dareus and Austin are not nose tackles...

Especially Austin. He's strictly a 3-technique DT.

Dareus is. He played both on the nose and defensive end in Alabama's 3-4. If I recall, on an interview he said the nose was one of his favorite spots to line up.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 26, 2011 at 13:42:28 ]
I think Dareus will have a great impact wherever he goes, unfortunately not to the 49ers.. I think Taylor will be the 2nd most impactful. I think we can move back and pick up an additional 2nd and draft Taylor in the mid 20's. Put Taylor in front of Willis, next to Smith and McDonald (or Sop) and let him create some havoc, I would bet our pass rush becomes more dynamic. Take the 2 second rounders and trade up to get the QB (Dalton)
Originally posted by fortyyearniner:
I think Dareus will have a great impact wherever he goes, unfortunately not to the 49ers.. I think Taylor will be the 2nd most impactful. I think we can move back and pick up an additional 2nd and draft Taylor in the mid 20's. Put Taylor in front of Willis, next to Smith and McDonald (or Sop) and let him create some havoc, I would bet our pass rush becomes more dynamic. Take the 2 second rounders and trade up to get the QB (Dalton)

I think if we trade down, an enormous amount of options open up to us.

If we trade down, we must not be interested enough in Quinn or Amukamara, who I think could be the target over Quinn at #7. The farthest I could possibly see Prince fall is to #11 at Houston.

If we don't take Prince, we have a plethora of 3-4 DE prospects, as well as several pass rushers that may be available: Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Justin Houston. Then you've got Taylor who fills that NT void.
Originally posted by fortyyearniner:

I think if we trade down, an enormous amount of options open up to us.

If we trade down, we must not be interested enough in Quinn or Amukamara, who I think could be the target over Quinn at #7. The farthest I could possibly see Prince fall is to #11 at Houston.

If we don't take Prince, we have a plethora of 3-4 DE prospects, as well as several pass rushers that may be available: Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Justin Houston. Then you've got Taylor who fills that NT void.

And don't forget Cameron Jordan!
Share 49ersWebzone